Automatic Renewal?

smudgedon

Bit of an odd situation, looking to see if anyone else has had this?

Had my insurance through Admiral which I know expires around this time of year, turns out it actually expired on 21/05/2013 when I looked at my certificate this evening

So I go onto the site to get the number to call them, as I haven't had the usual reminder or notification for renewal that they send a few weeks in advance, and login to my online account with Admiral

I click on the certificate of insurance to find that it now says valid from 21/05/2013 (my expiry date I have on the paper certificate from last years policy) through to 21/05/2014 (next year?!) with an issue date of 25/04/2013....

So, have they automatically renewed my policy without any contact, notification or payment from me? :wacko:

Been with them a few years in a row as they've always been pretty good and the cheapest by far too

Usually get a reminder about 2-4weeks prior to the renewal date, with a stupid renewal offer which is then brought down to a reasonable figure by speaking to them

This year, I've had nothing from them :\ and now my online documents show me as having another year of insurance valid....without paying a penny....so confused

I had a terrible experience before I could convince them NOT to renew my policy at the end of last year ... they try to close down Email contact and ask you to contact them by premium line phone ... it can only get worse in future

I'll call em from work, cost isn't an issue then and I can record the calls too in case they try to snake out of anything

They haven't taken any money from me which is the weird part though, if it was automatic and they'd taken payment then I can understand that

As I recall, they have to allow the 14 day cooling off period to pass before they can take payment on automatic renewals, although I could be wrong on that.

This is what I thought. I never did like Admiral due to their auto renewals thing. If you don't realise what the letter is you could end up paying a massive sum as their quotes are always horribly expensive at first, and because you haven't complained about it you have essentially agreed to pay...

Give them a ring ASAP, the renewals letters arent sent recorded delivery so you could always say you never received it if you want out..

Edited by cs2000

if you have opted for online insurance they wont send anything ive recently had the same thing the new policy starts the date the old one ends and it should be on there including the new renewal price so that document online is basically your renewal quote so they put everything on there until you say otherwise.

If you dont they will take payment 48 hours after the end of your current policy...get online get a quote ring them haggle them down job done :thumbs:

In fact ring them first to see if they have taken any money and when will they and then work with your timeframe to get quotes etc

Edited by jumping350

What a bunch of ****s they really are!!!!

Strong words. Check your documents, if a policy is set up for automatic renewal then it will be stated in the paperwork. Also, it sounds like it may be lucky they did renew the policy as the car would have had no insurance cover in place for the last few days, not good if you have been on the public road or if you car was damaged/stolen in this period.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

tel: 01707 642552

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

• Like 2

What a bunch of ****s they really are!!!!

Strong words. Check your documents, if a policy is set up for automatic renewal then it will be stated in the paperwork. Also, it sounds like it may be lucky they did renew the policy as the car would have had no insurance cover in place for the last few days, not good if you have been on the public road or if you car was damaged/stolen in this period.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

tel: 01707 642552

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

Strong but deserved words I reckon Ollie

Will be giving you guys a ring soon

if you have opted for online insurance they wont send anything ive recently had the same thing the new policy starts the date the old one ends and it should be on there including the new renewal price so that document online is basically your renewal quote so they put everything on there until you say otherwise.

If you dont they will take payment 48 hours after the end of your current policy...get online get a quote ring them haggle them down job done :thumbs:

In fact ring them first to see if they have taken any money and when will they and then work with your timeframe to get quotes etc

Thats a good shout.... they recently transferred me over to online-only but i didnt give it a second thought with regards to the renewal time, i think i'd have been in the same boat come next year.

yeah I think its a new system and they havent figured it out because i asked them the same thing and also asked why i dont get an email notification, they simply put your requote price on their I reckon around 3 weeks before its due if they dont hear from you within a week of expiry they take it off so just leave your documents on there assuming you will jusy renew, im not sure exactly how it works but end of story is if your due a renewal regardless just ring them.

They seem to be getting craftier with it all

Edited by jumping350

My mates daughter had a simular thing. Only the bank declined the payments as it was set to end after a certain date.

She got stopped for no insurance. New young driver and has had her licence taken off her.

The car ended up in a Police pound.

Thus far the bill and fines are very near £1000.

When asked why the insurance company did not tell het the bank had declined the payments they replied"They don't have to"

Only know this is true because is is my best mate and I read the letters.

I got an email from admiral with my renewal price on in April (my expiry date was 19 May) they had dropped it by £100 and were still cheaper than everywhere else, so I carried on with them, haven't received my new certificate yet but hopefully will soon or I'll be calling them. Are you sure you didn't get an email and discard it by mistake? I found mine in my "trash" folder as I thought it was a junk/advert one so binned it, the renewal quote is quite far down the email.

When my Admiral renewal came up, I received an email in my junk email folder, no letter or phone calls. The email would have been very easy to miss. Also from memory, Admiral will take the money from the banck account/bank card that they hold on file around 14 - 21 days after the policy starts. You need to get in touch with them asap, cancel the policy and then get quotes from them again and sky, they are highly unlikely to lower your renewal price now until you cancel the current policy.

In your case, if they did auto renew then they actually did you a favour as you had no idea exactly when your insurance expired: Imagine if you'd been caught by the police and how crap you'd feel then.

Auto renew policies are ideal for the 90% of the population that cannot manage their paperwork properly. Not a dig, no-one's perfect and it's easily done in this busy world we live in, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge them especially if that's what you signed up for.

In your case, if they did auto renew then they actually did you a favour as you had no idea exactly when your insurance expired: Imagine if you'd been caught by the police and how crap you'd feel then.

Auto renew policies are ideal for the 90% of the population that cannot manage their paperwork properly. Not a dig, no-one's perfect and it's easily done in this busy world we live in, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge them especially if that's what you signed up for.

I see what you're saying but if they sent a renewal notice, that would have acted as a reminder and Jordan would have acted on it!

I thought it was pretty much the accepted thing that insurance companies auto renew if you don't tell them otherwise. Every time I read through my policy, that line is there. This is why renewals are circa 25% more expensive.

Sadly, it's not up to them to tell you to look after your money, or diary, or wipe your bum for you. Don't worry though, you're not alone, I'm equally useless at remembering to check such things! :blush: My insurance that is, I'm fine at wiping my bum these days, it was a hard learning curve but 27 years later I have it sorted.