Anyone any good with parking tickets?

Unfortunately today I received a parking ticket from the council.

Now the street that I had parked down must have only just become a permit only area as I have parked down this street many times.

There are no road markings to say it is a permit only street, and there are no signs on any lamposts.

The street itself is about 300m long and a dead end. There is 2 small signs either side of the entrance to the street (I missed these) stating that from beyond this point it is a permits holder only area.

About 20 cars also had the same notice on them when I returned.

So do I have any comeback bearing in mind the above. The signs at the beginning of the street are not obvious and they are the only ones? Usually dont streets have markings or signs on lamposts. I parked at the end of the street so the signs were not visible.

Its only £70 or £35 if I pay within 14 days, but its £35 more than it should have cost me.

Pics?

Given that it is signed, and as it's a dead end then it would make sense to only put these on the entrance, then I'd pay the £35 and move on. If you think about it logically, and take it to the final conclusion which is in court, what is your reason for thinking that you shouldn't have to pay?

If the signs are the correct style/size/position so that they comply with legislation then you don't have a leg to stand on.

However if they don't comply, then technically it's not a 'no parking' sign, its just a piece of metal with some writing on and you can argue you're case.

If you're that concerned about it then i advise you look it up in the road traffic act but saying that you have parked there plenty of times before is no excuse.

If i were you i'd just pay the fine and not park there any more.

Got done myself many years ago in similar circumstances. I'd been parking in the same spot for years and missed the no parking sign that went up a few days before, just took the fine.

Pete

There is a ridiculously high percentage in favour of people challenging parking tickets and them being quashed. Give it a go, make up a @*!# excuse and try your luck, for example the car wouldn't start so you left it there, fully unaware that it was a permit area and to your disgust found a PCN :lol: . If signage is poor, then you could probably argue that. Do a bit of research and I am sure you can get it quashed. I have lost count on how many I have challenged and won, most of the time one can relocate yellow lines and alter parking ticket dates through photoshop and it bloody works or even claim that the 'engine start button for my e46' had failed (even though it doesn't have one).

Write a letter of complaint and see how it goes, its will only take 10 mins or so.

Good luck

Edited by Ceejay29

most of the time I relocate yellow lines and alter parking ticket dates through photoshop and it bloody works. I have even claimed that the 'engine start button' for my e46 had failed (even though it didn't have one).

Brilliant, nothing like lying through your teeth to make a point, eh?

Cretinous action, I hoe you get caught one day.

• Like 1

most of the time I relocate yellow lines and alter parking ticket dates through photoshop and it bloody works. I have even claimed that the 'engine start button' for my e46 had failed (even though it didn't have one).

Brilliant, nothing like lying through your teeth to make a point, eh?

Cretinous action, I hoe you get caught one day.

Not only that, how many times do you park illegally, if you have lost count of the times you have committed fraud?? :thumbdown:

It is tough being a student and often calls for desperate measures, being caught out by the odd five to ten minutes here and there IMO does not warrant a £35 fine, if it resulted in the maximum time charge then that would be a different story. Most fines are by far disproportionate to the 'crime' and in addition, if a friend of mine asks me to try and help them out, then I will do so. I appreciate that the parking law is for all, but in some cases I feel that the system is flawed and unreasonable….certainly when you run to the nearest shop to get change and return immediately to find a ticket!

I've been a student, I've been broke, I have even parked and popped to the shops on occasion.

I have had 1 or 2 parking ticket's in 35 years of driving and parking,and driving and parking etc. etc.

You are definitely doing something wrong! :scare:

P.S If you have a Zed its not that hard being a student is it,

I had a 1200 Super, Ford Anglia, for most of my student days.

Edited by flyboy
  • Like 1

By saying Ive parked there before I just meant that I was unaware that any signs had been placed there and that they are not obvious.

Imagine saying that in Court and the judge will only say that ignorance is no excuse....pay fine, move on.....NEXT!!!!

Were you photographed by a street camera or a traffic warden?

If it was a street camera it would not have picked out my blue badge that was clearly displayed in the front window.

. I can send you a photocopy if required that you send to them.

Just a thought and the offer is there!

It is tough being a student and often calls for desperate measures, being caught out by the odd five to ten minutes here and there IMO does not warrant a £35 fine

What if I abandoned my car somewhere blocking you for 10 minutes - would you think a £35 fine suitable?

£35 is fair for parking like a div IMO - if you don't want to get a ticket, don't park where you aren't supposed to.

Do the crime, do the time (or fine in this case)

• Like 1

It is tough being a student and often calls for desperate measures, being caught out by the odd five to ten minutes here and there IMO does not warrant a £35 fine

What if I abandoned my car somewhere blocking you for 10 minutes - would you think a £35 fine suitable?

I work in electricity substations and people ALWAYS park in front of the gates, blocking me in, even though they can see me working in there. sometimes i specifically cone off the area and put up a sign saying DO NOT PARK and people move the cones and park there, using the "i allways park here" excuse - it always says no parking at any time anyway :surrender:

When i knock on peoples office doors and ask them to move they get so arsy with me i wish i had just pushed the car out of the way with my van. :rant:

....rant over :dance:

If you have a Zed its not that hard being a student is it

Flyboy you should't prejudge on outward appearance alone

Pretty easy to judge on your comments though :thumbs:

They obviously were not in jest or you wouldn't have got so defensive...

As for the OP I'm pretty sure if it's a council one you will get chased if you just ignore, silucm up the £35 and get back to worrying about more important stuff :teeth:

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking if a car is blocking an emergency entrance/exit, its perfectly legal to smash the window drop the hand brake and move the car?

Where I used to live people parked blocking the only entrance/exit.

An Ambulance was called once and couldn't get in, 2 mins later the police arrived and moved it, I waited AGES not to miss the guy coming back and thinking his car had been stolen because it was round the corner :lol:

If you have a Zed its not that hard being a student is it

Flyboy you should't prejudge on outward appearance alone

Pretty easy to judge on your comments though :thumbs:

They obviously were not in jest or you wouldn't have got so defensive...

As for the OP I'm pretty sure if it's a council one you will get chased if you just ignore, silucm up the £35 and get back to worrying about more important stuff :teeth:

Silucm :lol: WTF?

Edited by flyboy

There is a ridiculously high percentage in favour of people challenging parking tickets and them being quashed. Give it a go, make up a @*!# excuse and try your luck, for example the car wouldn't start so you left it there, fully unaware that it was a permit area and to your disgust found a PCN :lol: . If signage is poor, then you could probably argue that. Do a bit of research and I am sure you can get it quashed. I have lost count on how many I have challenged and won, most of the time one can relocate yellow lines and alter parking ticket dates through photoshop and it bloody works or even claim that the 'engine start button for my e46' had failed (even though it doesn't have one).

Write a letter of complaint and see how it goes, its will only take 10 mins or so.

Good luck

Saw this in another thread, but slightly relevant. This guy was tracked down for bragging about dodging a parking ticket...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442

Edited by Dedman

Unfortunately today I received a parking ticket from the council.

Now the street that I had parked down must have only just become a permit only area as I have parked down this street many times.

There are no road markings to say it is a permit only street, and there are no signs on any lamposts.

The street itself is about 300m long and a dead end. There is 2 small signs either side of the entrance to the street (I missed these) stating that from beyond this point it is a permits holder only area.

About 20 cars also had the same notice on them when I returned.

So do I have any comeback bearing in mind the above. The signs at the beginning of the street are not obvious and they are the only ones? Usually dont streets have markings or signs on lamposts. I parked at the end of the street so the signs were not visible.

Its only £70 or £35 if I pay within 14 days, but its £35 more than it should have cost me.

Council parking tickets are not my speciality I will admit as I think they're called PCN's or something like that.

However my understanding of the law is that you are still party to a 'contract' so the following case law may still apply.

1) Vine vs Watham Forest - to enter into a contract you must be able to understand the terms that you are entering into. Therefore if the signage is not in a prominent place, lit and clearly legible you would have an argument (usually they are all over the street lamps which I would say is reasonable.....in this case it appears that they weren't).

2) Its £35............just pay it.

Ceejay...........you drive a zed - for the love of God drop any attempt to portray yourself as a 'poor student'. If your poor get a cheaper car!