Anyone in the UK done an LS conversion yet?

deank93

I do love the idea of an LS V8 conversion on the 350, it seems fairly common in the states and wondered if anyone in the UK had got round to doing one yet?

The last time i read a thread about it no one had and if that is still the case I'm just surprised no one has yet especially when so many on the site seem to be mechanically capable and even if your not there are companies like dyno torque in the midlands http://www.dynotorque.co.uk/ and sikky in the states http://sikky.com/

Is anyone planning one? or has anyone seriously looked into it and priced the conversion up either DIY or via a garage? there seem to be a few companies in the UK that can ship the LS1 or LS2 and the T56 gear box and tuners that can get the best from the lazy lump such as http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk/, cams seem to work a treat.

Video clips like this must be tempting someone out there

.....just listen to the over run at the end of the clip.

I've been looking into this for about 6 months, and the few companies that I've asked all seem to say the same thing along the lines of:

"Problems with LHD engine and gearbox into a RHD are the limiting factors, which I don't think anyone in the UK has overcome yet"

I'm so tempted to do it, but won't be for a while yet

I'm planning and have decided on the lump I'll go for which is the LSA.

There's a company in Cannock that can source everything GM related, and well spotted with Monkfish. Lexx was the one who put me in contact with them and for the last six months been working on the "plan".

I'm estimating around £10-15k tops. The LS1/2/3 is a lot cheaper to do but I want to go one step further.

I've been looking into this for about 6 months, and the few companies that I've asked all seem to say the same thing along the lines of:

"Problems with LHD engine and gearbox into a RHD are the limiting factors, which I don't think anyone in the UK has overcome yet"

If dyno torque are getting the LS and T56 in to the likes of BMW's, TVR's and RX7's surely the 350 shouldn't be an issue should it?

PS - Did the spoiler arrive OK?

I'm planning and have decided on the lump I'll go for which is the LSA.

There's a company in Cannock that can source everything GM related, and well spotted with Monkfish. Lexx was the one who put me in contact with them and for the last six months been working on the "plan".

I'm estimating around £10-15k tops. The LS1/2/3 is a lot cheaper to do but I want to go one step further.

Regarding the cost, i was thinking around the 10k mark but then you have the bonus of selling on your engine and gear box which would be a nice little off set.

if it were to come in around the 10k mark then this would make the conversion a tempting alternative with the GTM super charger on HR model cars (I'm not sure on the super charger on the older models.)

Difference between the LS1/2 and the LSA Ian?

Numbers lol.

A number of factors for the 1 and 2, engine displacement, 2 has more power than the 1, but factor in the LS3 with more power. Each block produces varying power based on either NA mods or whether you want to go FI.

The LSA is a derivative of the LS9, and comes supercharged. It originates from the Cadillac CTS-V which has a recorded 0-60 of 3.9 seconds. It has 551ftlb of torque and can run on 92 RON, ha ha.

I was hoping to do it this year but with the epic proportions of saving its now going to be next year. I've got the location for build, parts already lined up and a wealth of support and advice on tap from a chap who runs a 1000hp LS2 twin turbo LS2.

• Like 2

Difference between the LS1/2 and the LSA Ian?

Numbers lol.

A number of factors for the 1 and 2, engine displacement, 2 has more power than the 1, but factor in the LS3 with more power. Each block produces varying power based on either NA mods or whether you want to go FI.

The LSA is a derivative of the LS9, and comes supercharged. It originates from the Cadillac CTS-V which has a recorded 0-60 of 3.9 seconds. It has 551ftlb of torque and can run on 92 RON, ha ha.

I was hoping to do it this year but with the epic proportions of saving its now going to be next year. I've got the location for build, parts already lined up and a wealth of support and advice on tap from a chap who runs a 1000hp LS2 twin turbo LS2.

Jesus!....now that sounds like a plan!

Search CyMyTailsBlink on youtube, I was chatting to him last week on my350 and a very knowledgable and helpful chap.

Read up on the LS sticky on my350 if you haven't already done so, but allow a good hour to read it all.

The idea of the LSA came from another guy (can't think of his name now as I've had a few drinks) and he spoke with his tuner a while ago, where him and his tuner had a chat about advancing into the LSA. It just makes so much sense.

The LS2 with trick cams you're looking at mid 400's, them slap a SC on and hit the 500's. but the SC you're looking it £5-7k all in, so the LSA just seems to make so much more sense. Okay so it's a big bulk investment, but you don't even need to tinker with it, its done.

I was going to go SC with my Zed but as its knocking on 80k now and burning oil as a Revup should I just don't see the point in building a VQ powerhouse. In order to do so I'd need to forge, and for the cost of the VQ build and SC I may as well do something which I'd trust more than a fully forged SC'd car. Ask any built FI'd Zed and they'll say they always listen out for noises. I don't want that worry. I just want to have fun not fear. I don't have a bank balance for fear and so the LSA further reiterates my goal.

could you not use a monaro lump and box to solve that?

You can, and that's what monkfish supply. If you want 400 out the box that's the way to go. You're looking at around £8-10k

Edited by Wasso

Gearbox from the monaro is apparently a bit crap

Wasso, just so I'm clear, for a numpty like myself who has no mechanical knowledge based on your research to date roughly what would you expected someone would need to spend on a drive in and drive out LS2 conversion?....maybe with a cheeky set of cams for lumpy idle and 450bhp of side ways fun.

Crate engine is £10K

Conversion parts call £5K

Labour on top, call it another £3K - £5K depending on exactly what you want done

Budget that and you may even have a bit to play with at the end too. Certainly that's what I was looking at when i was considering it.

Crate engine is £10K

Conversion parts call £5K

Labour on top, call it another £3K - £5K depending on exactly what you want done

Budget that and you may even have a bit to play with at the end too. Certainly that's what I was looking at when i was considering it.

Or buy a monaro for 7k use the engine and other bits needed and part out the car to reclaim some costs