Anyone in the UK done an LS conversion yet?

deank93

it would be cheaper.

That's the crux of the matter, sometimes it's just more satisfying trying something different - but typically it can be painful :lol:

I still want to sling some new cams in my engine but I keep hearing it's like a 8 hour job or some guff :scare:

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree it would be an incredible car to own and drive, and I seriously considered it. For me, I decided I'd rather own a different car altogether than spend that sort of money on my Zed, but it's still something I'd like to do if cost and time were no issue. :)

Nearly forgot that you'd also need to spend a good few grand more on supporting mods too, including bigger wheels for fatter tyres, better brakes to help you stop that much power, and possibly new suspension as well.

You could do the entire swap on or around £10k.

There's a LS2 for sale on eBay right now for £4k. The Sikky kit is about £2k add labour and T56 plus any other ancillaries and you're there.

I discussed the whole project idea with Jez at Horsham and if you can get an engine for under £4k then you're laughing.

£10k for a crate LS2 is bonkers Dan, for instance the LSA I can get in the UK Crated for £9,000. The LS3 for 5,200, but the LS2 I can't get a price at the mo.

For ref a new T56 is £2k.

Maybe prices have dropped then from when I looked, I remember seeing prices at that level in the front of a kit car magazine a few years ago. Hell, if they're that cheap now then that's a great project for someone and I wouldn't even bother going second hand!

Ah, just realised you said LS2 for £10K is mad, I totally agree, I was looking at the LS7 engines for that money. My bad.

No worries mate, and yes the later 7's and 9's are a lot more than the 2.

Don't forget the sale of any engine and box with ECU will recoup some costs.

Crate engine is £10K

Conversion parts call £5K

Labour on top, call it another £3K - £5K depending on exactly what you want done

Budget that and you may even have a bit to play with at the end too. Certainly that's what I was looking at when i was considering it.

Where are you shopping for a crate engine for 10k?, unless i'm missing something you'd be looking at less than half that for an LS2 and I'm sure the conversion kit is wayyyy less than 5k.

And that is what makes the conversion such a temptation...I think putting the GTM supercharger on an HR model plus exhaust etc is about 12k isn't it? so 10k drive in and 2 weeks later drive out with the devil himself living under the bonnet and 400bhp on tap makes for a very interesting alternative.

And that is what makes the conversion such a temptation...I think putting the GTM supercharger on an HR model plus exhaust etc is about 12k isn't it? so 10k drive in and 2 weeks later drive out with the devil himself living under the bonnet and 400bhp on tap makes for a very interesting alternative.

I'd allow a bit more than 2 weeks. There will be I'm sure issues that need to be overcome. You'll need to factor in an ECU to connect oem functionality. One of the issues is the rev counter but has been overcome either by replacing it or finding a suitable ECU to connect everything up. I'm in the process of finding out more from the chap in the US regarding this. I'm terms of build time I'd estimate a month. But it all depends on who installs it and their experience of such.

I also wouldn't stop your budget at £10k as it could go over. There's always the unknown.

I agree though comparing the GTM with a LS2 there's not much in it. The beauty of the LS engines is the torque comes in nice and early, just what the doctor ordered.

and if you were feeling flush you could always pop a turbo or charger on it at a later date so i guess it is a route that provides a lot more long term potential than charging the 3.5 lump.

This is why it'll be cheaper to get the LSA. Exampled earlier £4k for a LS2 (used). SC or turbo add £7k+.

When quite simply the LSA with a SC already tuned and slapped on makes perfect sense at £9k (crated). You could source a used one for less, but hard to get as they're only provided in the Cadillac as far as I can see.

Ask any built FI'd Zed and they'll say they always listen out for noises.

:yawn:

I don't! Just 100% pure fun! (OK, OK, with a bit of flames at the rear end :scare: )

:snack: Come on, somebody get cracking on it! :stir:

:lol:

I agree with Octet but there is one sound I like to listen too as I blast past with my 500WHP and thats the sound of American Muscle car V8 owners sobbing as they realise that the £100 of fuel they put in will only just get them to the next petrol station. (If they drive really carefully)

:p

SC and NOS FTW

• Like 3

Jealousy gets you nowhere lol. But then you have invested a LOT of money to get where you're at.

Fuel, well, the LSA runs at 14mpg in town, so yes not very economical, but to compensate just put regular 95 fuel in at 9p a litre cheaper.

To compare a standard Zed against a the CTS-V here's the numbers.

Zed 32p per mile = 100 miles £32 (20mpg town)

Cts-v 42p per mile = 100 miles £42 (14mpg town)

The CTS-v is 2 tonne, takeaway that heavy body at 500kg heavier than the Zed, I'd say you could claw back some economy.

Now, then Bitch isn't your standard Zed, especially with NOS, so I'd say you're in the 15mpg bracket. So the old yank lump doesn't appear to be so expensive now eh. ;)

To be fair nobody would be driving a 556hp and 551tq (@ 3,800 rpm I may add) every day. So why not flash the cash at fill up time and enjoy the sound.

Just to :stir: a little more...... :p

Edited by Wasso

Manly V8 >>>>>>> Gay Supercharged V6 :stir:

Straight from the Queen's mouth! :lol:

How much did you enjoy your supercharged v6? :stir:

I didn't. which is why I sold it less than 6 months after fitting it ;)

Meh what's to be jealous off??

You Have a dream

I have The Bitch :p

But in the interest of the forum and anybody reading this thread for information purposes, I will agree you are correct there won't be a lot in it I average out at 17 - 18 mpg on the road and on track I get down as low as 6MPG :lol:

As for reliability - I don't think its fair to say that an LSx will be any more reliable than a built VQ and anyone listens or notices strange noises in their car, the difference is an SC owner knows how much it will cost to rebuild his/her engine if it's a bad noise.

Now go and pour £10k plus into your engine bay then hand on heart tell me you won't have exactly the same feeling when that gurgling V8 makes a strange noise ;)

You know I looked at the LS 1.2.3 options and decided the investment was not worth it as I could and did get the same if not more out of the VQ, it is worth remembering the supporting mods would be needed whatever lump you put in. IMO

An LSA on the other hand is a lump I would be happy to have in a Zed but when I was looking 2 years ago at which way to go it was not cost effective.

with some of the kits that are now available for the conversion I would say it is certainly worth considering if 500HP and lots of fun is what your after :thumbs:

• Like 1

I agree with what you're saying but me personally I'd always have a fear of any engine that's been taken apart to be rebuilt. That's just me, maybe I don't have enough faith in some mechanics, to make sure they did it "right".

To exceed 450 horse and have reliability in the Zed you need some serious cash. There's not a great deal of room in the Zed for TT's and SC's and this causes potential risks. I'm not saying there are risks, but potential ones. I've seen enough SC Zeds and their stories all different and there's a lot of tinkering needed and additional parts to make the VQ work safely and efficiently.

I want to take the simple route and trust GM built the engine in a controlled environment tried and tested.

A built motor can be used with many differing brands, some fail, some are rated as crap and some are excellent. Again that would worry me. If I piled £15k to forge the engine and throw in a SC, I'd be devistated to find continual problems. There's a lot of additional parts that make up the bigger picture and again I'd fear the worst. I'm not saying it will go wrong, but I'd worry. Especially as I'm not a mechanic.

If I had your ability with knowledge and cars I'd have done exactly the same as its a challenge, my route is the simple way.

• Like 1