Do you agree?

stuarty

Perhaps think of it this way. Even though she hasn't directly paid taxes though income, she will have paid plenty of VAT on everything she's purchased in the 15 years she's been back in the UK.

Given the horrific things that have gone on in Zim and are going on over there, I'm sure everyone can understand why people leave. We have a lot of South African's and Zimmers in NZ, and I have a fair of friends from there so have heard all the stories. :wacko::scare: :scare: :scare: :scare:

IMHO, no, because I don't see this as any different to EU citizens who abuse the system. Yes they are doing it intentionally, and this old lady isn't, however, through her own choice (in living her life in Africa) has never contributed Tax to the UK, and therefore shouldn't be entitled to any of my taxes.

She left when she was 7 years old, so I'm guessing that wasn't her own choice. She then grew up in a different country and by the time she turned 18 she'd have called it home and been very used to it. She'd probably have stayed there all her life if circumstances hadn't dictated otherwise. She had absolutely nothing left, so why would she stay there when she could back here? At least she spent 7 years of her life here, rather than someone who has spent nothing at all.

I have no problem with the old lady at all , rember she is British and when she moved to Zimbabwe it was a British colony and people were activley encouraged to move there by the Government.

Some of my family also did this in the 50's and returned if I remember right in the 80's after being burnt out of their home

One point is that up until the late 60's at least Britain held, controlled and profited from the miming as we had the rights to all the mineral and precious metal resources so the people there were making a large contribution to the UK economy

British citizen ?

Six or sixty six and within the law should always be allowed to return without question.

Or who decides Police, Mob, Monster raving loony party, Us ?? :scare:

And I dare say when she went there when 7 she did not know it would go tiits up 70 years later.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the old lady at all , rember she is British and when she moved to Zimbabwe it was a British colony and people were activley encouraged to move there by the Government.

Some of my family also did this in the 50's and returned if I remember right in the 80's after being burnt out of their home

One point is that up until the late 60's at least Britain held, controlled and profited from the miming as we had the rights to all the mineral and precious metal resources so the people there were making a large contribution to the UK economy

I completely agree with this as Ewan says Zimbabwe was a British colony at the time and people were encouraged to move there which is why the rules now let her come back and claim that, I think that's only fair.

Regardless, it's not as if she made her fortune elsewhere, squandered it, and came back here to scrounge off the state.

She went out there when the country was a British colony, lived there most of her life and probably would of stayed there the rest of her life, had Mugabe not been in power. She's had any wealth and entitlements she's had stripped, through a tyrannical government, not through her own doing.

What are the alternatives, she stays there a pauper and is likely killed, or comes here to no entitlements and lives penniless and homeless, unless she gets a job, which being in her 80's isn't really likely.

It's an exceptional circumstance, and she should be entitled help.

Hmmm, legally she's entitled, just like any Tom Dick and Harry from the EU is entitled to come here and claim benefits etc despite not contributing, but I think the point of the OP is, should she be entitled?...

Maybe even if you have lived outside a country for X amount of years legislation should state that you have to accept that countries citizenship and give away your "birthright"?

By that you'd be potentially printing British Passports for all the illegals once they have spent a certain amount of time here, can't have a pendulum swing just one way.....

Edited by BulletMagnet

And thats the difference, even if she wasnt in the UK she was part of a colony, hence she should get assistance when it goes shitshaped - Id imagine if she had worked she would have paid social security anyway.

For me its dead easy - if you have paid into the system youre entitled, if you havent you arent - that goes for EU citizens as well, I cant just rock up in Denmark and start collecting the dole there, so why here?

I think the reality of foreign nationals claiming benefits is a little different to position adopted in some quarters by, particularly the press, who love to peddle the "coming over here, raping our horses, eating our women" etc. Statistically migrants are less likely to claim benefits than UK nationals. I'm not saying they don't put additional strain on resources such as schools, housing and education but in terms of the "gravy train benefits" angle, IMHO, I'm not convinced.

From The Independent, who I assume fact check before publication.

"The DWP's analysis puts the same point another way. "As of February 2011, 16.6 per cent of working-age UK nationals were claiming a DWP working-age benefit compared to 6.6 per cent of working-age non-UK nationals."

I'm sure plenty will argue you can prove anything with statistics, but I look around and listen when I get a cab, go to the shop, go to McDonalds, the petrol station and there are plenty of immigrants earning a crust and contributing PAYE and NI like many UK nationals. When I walk past the cash point on the way to 24 hour Tesco and see the queue forming, ready for the money drop at 1 minute past midnight, the accents I hear aren't European, they're broad Lancashire.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more superstu - I do wish folks would check their facts before spouting off. Perhaps even go do some independent reading / research before regurgitating tabloid crap.

@ KyleR - nobody can simply waltz into the country and claim benefits :wacko:

I take it seeing as I am white born and bred British and have spent the last seventeen years working on the frontline in the community ( the last four supporting young people into employment) having paid my own way through uni - taking on student debt to do so - not having had a pay rise in seven years - had my pension obliterated - it is ok with the keyboard warriors as of today to go and try to claim some benefits having been made redundant for the second time in two years?

I would add that in the last four years having worked with a few hundred young people aged 16-19 who have left school and not gone into education employment or training NOT A SINGLE ONE WAS FROM A MINORITY, ETHNIC OR IMMIGRANT BACKGROUND.... :shrug:

• Like 1