Do you agree?

stuarty

One of my neighbours is a elderly lady around 85 years old, who left the UK when she was 7 years old and moved to Zimbabwe. She had a great life out there by the sounds of it and had been retired for about 15 years. Then one day due to the troubles she was giving the ultimatum to leave the country or die!

Anyway she lost everything, land, home, pension etc.

she returned to the UK, she was giving a really nice council house and a full pension and all the usual NHS entitlement.

She's no worse off than my grandparents who have worked all there life and contributed to the country. Also they always wanted a council house in the area that the old lady stays but never got one.

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Edited by stuarty

My mum had a similar ordeal when she got kicked out of Uganda back in the 70s. But she worked as soon as she was 16 and has done ever since.

Yeah but your mum decided to come here, work and contribute to the country, so she is entitled to the same as me.

Is she a British Citizen? If so, no problem with that at all

I can't understand it when we give this sort of treatment to immigrants that aren't of British descent

Please rephrase that to "illegal" immigrants that aren't of British descent. Or at least to immigrants with intent to abuse.

I myself am a second generation immigrant of non-British descent, parents from Hong Kong, born in Scotland, so genetically I am not british.

I pay my taxes and my brother even went to Afghan for Queen and Country.

Life in Africa could be good way back, but what do you expect her to do when Mugabe took control ? sit back and enjoy it ? ...

Life is cheap in Africa ... I lived there for four years so I think I have some right to have an opinion

Life in Africa could be good way back, but what do you expect her to do when Mugabe took control ? sit back and enjoy it ? ...

Life is cheap in Africa ... I lived there for four years so I think I have some right to have an opinion

Yeah and thats why your comments are appreciated. So you made your mind up yet?

Doesn't help that she's a really cool old bird. Always got a good story to tell me. Slightly more interesting than the usual folk. I chapped her door during the heavy snow fall to see if she needed anything at the supermarket, she really appreciated the gesture!

I can't understand it when we give this sort of treatment to immigrants that aren't of British descent

Please rephrase that to "illegal" immigrants that aren't of British descent. Or at least to immigrants with intent to abuse.

I myself am a second generation immigrant of non-British descent, parents from Hong Kong, born in Scotland, so genetically I am not british.

Sorry mate, ye that's what I meant

Immigrant's who are here legally, legitimately and actually contribute to the economy by working and paying taxes are fine by me :thumbs:

Immigrant's who are here legally, legitimately and actually contribute to the economy by working and paying taxes are fine by me :thumbs:

Good, I'll save you a nice Cadbury's Twirl as I find that has the best purple wrapper ;)

So lets say BM ( hypothetical question don't wish this on him he is a cool guy) he hurts himself. Can't work for 5 years needs to claim. Would you kick up about that?

Good, I'll save you a nice Cadbury's Twirl as I find that has the best purple wrapper ;)

YAY!!!

So lets say BM ( hypothetical question don't wish this on him he is a cool guy) he hurts himself. Can't work for 5 years needs to claim. Would you kick up about that?

Nope as he's contributed to the system prior to his "accident"

Hmmm, legally she's entitled, just like any Tom Dick and Harry from the EU is entitled to come here and claim benefits etc despite not contributing, but I think the point of the OP is, should she be entitled?

IMHO, no, because I don't see this as any different to EU citizens who abuse the system. Yes they are doing it intentionally, and this old lady isn't, however, through her own choice (in living her life in Africa) has never contributed Tax to the UK, and therefore shouldn't be entitled to any of my taxes. It's one thing for someone to be on disability etc and therefore not contribute in that manor, it's another for someone to not even live in the country for any of they're working life and turn up (through unforeseen circumstances in this case) and start claiming a pension.

I know what I have said is harsh, and without compassion, but I believe unless you have contributed to a country, then you have no rights to benefits from it, unless you are a school leaver looking for a first job. Maybe even if you have lived outside a country for X amount of years legislation should state that you have to accept that countries citizenship and give away your "birthright"?

Tbh, it's a difficult one, seeing that she did spend contributing to another country, but only to have those contributions stripped from her and told to leave the country or face death.

I think these are very special circumstances, for which allowances should be made.

Otherwise we'd have thread reading "Elderly UK citizen not receiving any benefits when EU scroungers do"