Vertical Tonneau Cover / Boot Divider (Non OEM)

14N

Hi All,

As some of you maybe aware, I've previously made my own vertical tonneau cover out of MDF and also sold a few on eBay. There does appear to quite a lot of interest for these at the moment and the OEM ones have recently sold on 'the bay' for over £150! :scare:

The one's I've sold on eBay have sold for between £60 and £90 plus P&P. Unfortunately someone has now seen the success of my divider and is now selling their own (my eBay username is NOT impy7).

I was just trying to get a feel from forum members to see if anyone would be interested in buying one from me if I were to make them? Here's a few pics.

350ZD15.jpg

350ZD14.jpg

350ZD12.jpg

I'm thinking of asking £45 plus P&P, which would be £14 via Parcel Force 48hr Express Delivery. This offers the best value and protection to ensure the divider arrives safely. Cost is a little high as each divider weighs 2kg.

I'd make the divider for each individual order I receive, so each one will be made just for you. Therefore if you do have a request such as not featuring the 'Z' or a different colour (red, blue, grey etc to match your car) this won't be a problem, but might involve a little extra cost (£5) for the coloured acoustic carpet if I have to order it.

I'm unable to sell any on the forum until I register as a member trader, so I'm really trying to gauge interest to see if anyone would be interested before I do.

Just to set expectations (and avoid any disappointment), I would be making them in my spare time, so there might be a delay of a week or two from you telling me you want one to you receiving it, but I will make your divider ASAP.

Please let me know by reply to this thread if you'd definitely want one and I'll add you to the list below. If I have enough interest, I will register ads a trader and begin production.

1. 350Ad

2. Arran

3. Olliecrx

4. Ewan221

5. MacW

6. JetSet

7. Shane Brede

8. Joefrancis04

So £59, delivered for a custom made vertical tonneau, who's in?

Cheers, Ian :thumbs:

Edited by 14N
  • Like 2

Ian made one of these for me and I can vouch for the high quality of his workmanship. It is very well finished at LEAST to the standard you would expect of OEM.

In the 4 months or so that I have had it the only time it has slipped out of position is when I have pushed something against it by mistake when loading the boot.

In my view it actually makes the larger boot area much more usable by properly dividing it into two separated compartments.

David

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Ollie - The one's currently on eBay are being made by a fellow forum member that clearly saw how much I was getting for mine and wanted a piece of the action. Bit cheeky, but what can you do? :shrug:

Dave (Tinyflier), thanks very much for the comments. I'm glad you're still happy with it and I appreciate you adding the feedback to the thread :thumbs:

I'll look into the MyHermes option, cheers Ad. If I can save us all costs on postage, I will.

I did try all options at the Post Office and Parcel Force seemed to be the best.

Special Delivery wasn't offered as an option to me due to the size of the parcel. I can send it standard 2nd class parcel post for about £8.30, but a signature isn't required and it can't be tracked. Plus it's not insured either. If it went missing, you'd (understandably) either want another divider or your £50+ back - so I figured an insured option for a few quid more would be best.

I could try implementing the 3 square 'dots', but I really don't think you'd see them. I will give it a try though.

Edited by 14N

I have one I made in my car, and it makes a massive improvement to exhaust drone and tyre roar, particularly at motorway speeds. One of the best mods I have made to my car- hopefully you should get a lot of interest with this Ian :thumbs:

• Like 1

That's brilliant, thanks guys. I appreciate you letting me make one for you. :thumbs:

I'll get the wheels in motion and complete my registration as a member trader. I'll order the materials I need and get cracking with the jigsaw and MDF.

I assume everyone wants a black one with the 'Z'?

List amended in the first post (this is the order in which I'll make them too).

Thanks again everyone :)

Black with black Z for me please :)

Seems a decent enough wee earner, you should get listing on eBay, tbh that was my intention till I remembered I was too lazy :) Doesn't seem to be any great effort in selling them, and they all seem to go for reasonable money to make it worthwhile! And the Z on yours looks better than the ones being advertised, in fact the whole thing looks better.

Edited by Olliecrx

Cheers Ollie. There's a bit of a story behind me and the guy currently selling on eBay. I have previously sold a few on there for a decent amount of dollar. Then this dude showed up... Initially he was even using my pics and text in his listings.

I don't think you're the only one that thought mine looked better, that's why mine always sold for considerably more than his. To the point where he was using another ID to place bids on his own items to increase the sale price.

I could continue to make more and list them alongside his and probably make more cash, but if forum members are happy to pay me to make one for them, then I'm happy too.

This isn't the place or correct thread for airing my grief, so I'm just glad that I can still make a few for my fellow forum members and let the non forum members fight it out on eBay for his :)

Cheers guys. :thumbs: Looks like I got a busy couple of weekends ahead :lol:

If anyone that wants one is going to Japfest at Castle Combe, I can bring it with me if you wanna save a few quid on postage (and can wait till then).

Cheers Ollie. There's a bit of a story behind me and the guy currently selling on eBay. I have previously sold a few on there for a decent amount of dollar. Then this dude showed up... Initially he was even using my pics and text in his listings.

I don't think you're the only one that thought mine looked better, that's why mine always sold for considerably more than his. To the point where he was using another ID to place bids on his own items to increase the sale price.

I could continue to make more and list them alongside his and probably make more cash, but if forum members are happy to pay me to make one for them, then I'm happy too.

This isn't the place or correct thread for airing my grief, so I'm just glad that I can still make a few for my fellow forum members and let the non forum members fight it out on eBay for his :)

:clap:

• Like 1

I did try all options at the Post Office and Parcel Force seemed to be the best.

Special Delivery wasn't offered as an option to me due to the size of the parcel. I can send it standard 2nd class parcel post for about £8.30, but a signature isn't required and it can't be tracked. Plus it's not insured either. If it went missing, you'd (understandably) either want another divider or your £50+ back - so I figured an insured option for a few quid more would be best.

I could try implementing the 3 square 'dots', but I really don't think you'd see them. I will give it a try though.

They can definitely take it Special Delivery, only 2 weeks ago I posted a Zed headlight to Alex RMSD and the next day he did the same for guaranteed Saturday delivery, then a few years back I posted a motorcycle petrol tank. I think they take anything that is easily carried, i.e. - not too cumbersome or heavy. Just an option to look into because it'll be uber fast, insured to £500 and you can actually track it unlike Parcelfarces so called system.

Cheers Kyle, will definitely try again then. I'm not making anything from postage, so if I can reduce the cost, we all win :thumbs:

Humpy, can I stick your name on the list then?

Edited by 14N