Just be glad Nissan puts LSDs into its RWD cars (unlike some other brands).

gangzoom

Found this OLD video on how/why RWD cars NEED a LSD....interesting how some "Premium" manufactures (BMW/Mercedes) don't bother putting LSD into their RWD cars but Nissan do :lol:

Skip to 1:50 to start the interesting stuff

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Good video :thumbs:

'Need' is a relative term though. Some cars need them else they're undriveable, others don't really need them from the factory but it's a nice thing to add on later. Elises don't have them, for example, and an LSD isn't considered a must-do upgrade by any means.

I enjoyed that in a "reminds me of school educational films" kind of way :lol:

How old are you?! :scare: :scare: :scare:

I think most people on this forum are older than you Jordan.

Ye, but surely school education videos weren't THAT bad when some members on here were at school?!

O yes they were!!!!!!!!

I bet you had them new fangled calculators when you were at school didn't you!

Don't know they're born I tel ya!!

:lol:

:wheelchair:

Edited by Keyser

An LSD can corrupt driving dynamics as well as improving them. they can be tuned to minimise this affect but there is a reason why GTRs scrabble around at low speed, (very tight diffs) and why ferrari and McLaren use electronic systems in their cars instead.

Have you never felt the diff lock in your car at low speed turn in causing you to understeer?

Your average BMW 320d owner may not like the sensation of having a locking differential, and if theyre just driving around at normal speeds, why go with the extra expense and maintainence of having a mechanical locking Diff when its not needed or may even worsen the experience for that particular customer?

If you asked colin chapman what the perfect chassis would have, i bet you it wouldn't have any anti-roll bars or limitedslip differentials. He would say they are a cover up for poor chassis design.

I'm not saying LSDs are bad, in fact they can cause you to have a lot of fun in a car :drive1 but like ARBs they are a compromise that must be properly tuned in order to be effective.

• Like 1

Every days a school day! Now find one to explain the difference between 1.5 and 2 way lol

Coudn't be bothered to type it myself, ;)

"Manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are generally classified as 1 way, 1.5 way, and 2 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential just means the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock (equal torque distribution) only when accelerating. The 2 way differential is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way differential is a fairly new term used to describe the 2 way cam which allows different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can be more forgiving durring braking than a full 2 way setup. However, it is less effective in racing situations. It provides easier operation for beginners (mostly when off the throttle). You see them a lot on front wheel drivecars (FF) which need extra stability during braking..."

Edit: removed jibberish forum font code from when i copy and pasted

Edited by CrumbMC