I've stopped eating meat.

stuarty

As from today, I've stopped eating meat, if it's got 4 legs I'm not eating it. I will continue eating fish and chicken until I decide otherwise, but I'm finished with meat.

My decision has nothing to do with all the recent publicity about horse meat etc, its purely down to animal cruelty and the fact that I don't want to eat anything that is more intelligent than some humans I know!

Any advice is welcome regarding substitutes etc as I train really hard in several contact sports and I lift weights everyday.

I'm not going to be one of those non meat eaters that criticise's anyone, it's just a personal choice!

Edited by stuarty

Good for you.

Personally, I love a good steak, medium rare, with tender stem broccoli and green beans :lol:

On this topic, personally, in regards to the meat in the news, people should start going back to their local butchers.

Yeah mate, I love a good steak. I was out last week for my son's 21st birthday celebrations and I had the best rib eye I've ever had. I love nothing more than a lean steak medium- well done with mushrooms, onions and pepper sauce.

But after watching some of the video's on YouTube about abattoirs and the treatment of some of the beasts, I'm finished with it. I never gave much thought to animals in general, but I've got two wee dogs now and when I think about how intelligent they are, it got me thinking about other animals. I also studied for a degree in Environmental Health and covered loads of nutrition etc, therefore I think I will manage.

Oh don't even go there.

You cannot compare dogs and cows, dogs are far more superior in intellect.

If you think we are cruel, then watch some wildlife programs decide whether Mother Nature is crueler or not.

Like when a Cheetah hunts and then bites an Antilope in the neck and let's it bleed out to death.

We humans are top of the food chain.

Oh don't even go there.

You cannot compare dogs and cows, dogs are far more superior in intellect.

If you think we are cruel, then watch some wildlife programs decide whether Mother Nature is crueler or not.

Like when a Cheetah hunts and then bites an Antilope in the neck and let's it bleed out to death.

We humans are top of the food chain.

I can't argue with you dude, it's just a personal choice and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. The world is full off things that are wrong. I even worried a bit about the ozone when I had my zed. Lol.

It's weird because I really don't mind beating the crap out of folk in the ring or on the mats etc, but their consenting adults and now and again I get payed back, lol.

Going back to the wild animal thing, everyone knows that our saliva and teeth are the first part of our digestion system, carnivore's in the wild's saliva is pretty acidic, whereas us humans have an alkali saliva that is not very good for digesting meat. That's probably one of the main reasons why meat eaters suffer all kinds of side effects, such as constipation rite through to colon cancers etc.

Nothing wrong with having a conscience mate

Do what you feel is right for you :thumbs:

And I agree with Bulletmagnet about cruelty in nature.Some of the most distressing scenes on tv recentely was a pack of wolves bringing down a buffalo.Cant imagine that was a quick death for the poor beast.Eaten alive more or less

Nothing wrong with having a conscience mate

Do what you feel is right for you :thumbs:

And I agree with Bulletmagnet about cruelty in nature.Some of the most distressing scenes on tv recentely was a pack of wolves bringing down a buffalo.Cant imagine that was a quick death for the poor beast.Eaten alive more or less

Yeah nature can be pretty cruel, most of the time the hunters take down the sick/weak prey, think that helps with evolution etc. I don't think the wolves have many options though and not many wild animal kill for the sake of it, I think. I just think there are so many options out there for me, I might even enjoy them!

Everything in moderation tho, you know very well that it's about moderation and variety in a persons diet.

Also consider when quoting about the cases where meat was a factor in illnesses like colon cancer, like apart from the meat they ate, how was it cooked, was the diet balanced or one sided, did the individual exercise or not, did the individual work physically or work at a desk?

So many factors hide behind statistics that we cannot see.

Again, good for you for your decision. Just personally the reasons do not work for me, sorry.

Edited by BulletMagnet

Everything in moderation tho, you know very well that it's about moderation and variety in a persons diet.

Also consider when quoting about the cases where meat was a actor in illnesses like colon cancer, like apart from the meat they ate, how was it cooked, was the diet balanced or one sided, did the individual exercise or not, did the individual work physically or work at a desk?

So many factors hide behind statistics that we cannot see.

Again, good for you for your decision. Just personally the reasons do not work for me, sorry.

The health issue's can be argued either way. If you believe every thing you read you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. It's just the whole animal cruelty thing that puts me off. I know there are far worst things going on in society today than animal cruelty, such as child abuse etc. But at least I can do something about the fact I hate animal abuse. "Every little helps"!

It's weird because on an average day, I train with some of the wildest, toughest dudes in the country, that are happy too punch me in the face and try to rip my arms off, but a lot of them don't eat meat for the same reason I'm giving up. Makes me laugh sometimes!

I went vege for a year back in my teens. Bacon tempted me back, as always.

I hate to say it, and I'm genuinely not trying to start an argument here, but not eating red meat but carrying on eating white meat for ethical reasons seem very hypocritical. If you think that poultry is slowly put to sleep on an anaesthetic overdose whilst being given a massage and listening to some soulful jazz, you're quite mistaken.

I do find it entertaining when people stop eating meat because 'meat is murder', but they continue to eat fish.

I was a British Sea Fisheries Officer for Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency for a year on a patrol vessel and boarded countless boats.

Live fish are dumped on a hopper to asphyxiate, and the sliced open and gutted whilst still alive.

Dozens at any one time on any one boat.

But killing a cow or pig is somehow much worse?

Selective morals.

I've been a veggie for 26 years. We are very lucky in this country as most high street shops/supermarket s and restaurants state veggie on what ever your buying.

I agree with the other lads on your partial adoption. Chicken and fish are just as mistreated.

Unfortunately the 'cruelty' will continue whether you eat it or not.

Society seems to be waking up to some of the cruelty these animals are subjected to. Thus the free range varieties etc but most people don't know or care about where their food comes from.

I've been a veggie for 26 years. We are very lucky in this country as most high street shops/supermarket s and restaurants state veggie on what ever your buying.

Well, in light of recent supermarket/food manufacturers blunders, not sure whether to fully trust what's on a packet these days.

Hence why I mentioned why it may be a good idea if people went back to their local butchers rather than supermarket chains.