interested in buying 350Z

pdg32

Hi all,

Thought I had to get myself on here - greetings to all!

Interested in buying a 350Z around July time next year. Currently have around 6k budget.

At present trying to explore the options - research tells me that best I would stretch to on that is an 05 plate or so.

What I really want to know is this - is there a thread giving exact differences between the year models?

I have checked out Wikipedia, and what I can fathom out is that in 2006 things began to be revised - new interior and speed-related power steering, plus an increase from 280 to 300 bhp - is this correct? Was this on 06 plates or on 56 plates onwards (i haven't seen any photos of 06 plates with the different interiors)?

Did the 2006 revisions make the car massively better, or not much of the difference? Of course, I also read about the 2007 80% 'new' 313 engine, lighter clutch and steering (or was this also brought in during 2006?) Similarly, presumably the 07 car is a lot better than any before it? Are the original zeds - i.e. from 03 to 55 plate - still good cars, despite the heavy clutch and steering?

It would be great if someone could clarify the exact differences between the year models for me! Doesn't look like my budget will stretch to the later models, but nevertheless I really want to know the differences.....

That's all for now,

Cheers.

The 300 BHP models went for sale on the 1st April 2006, so there are plenty on 06 plates. Other than the new interior and uprated engine they have bi-xenon headlights, LED rear lights and a redesigned front bumper. Not much difference in performance, the 20 extra BHP was mostly soaked up by an extra 75 kgs of weight gain.

Pete

For 6k your looking at 53-55 plate 276 bhp model, so i wouldnt worry about the rest :) I would avoid the Jap imports just because UK spec would be easier to sell on.

With your budget you can currently get a higher mileage GT spec or a lower none GT spec, so that's probably where your choice lies.

GT spec comes with leather heated seats, cruise control and Bose sound system. Rays alloys were still an optional extra until 06.

Edited by 350Ad
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum mate. Use the search button located at the top right hand side of the page as this topic has been covered before and no doubt you will find the answers to your questions in there. Anyway enjoy the zed hunt.... its a buyers market :)

thanks very much for the replies, and welcome messages.

i could possibly stretch to 6.5 but def. no more than that.

Can anyone clarify if the 06 engine was really any better - also, did the speed-responsive steering and lightened clutch appear in 06, or was it from 07 models onwards? I also gather that there was more usable torque from 07 new engine, and it revved higher and more freely than the older models.

basically, is there a big difference in steering / clutch betweem 03-55 models and 06 onwards?

Pete - I must have seen one of the earliest 06 plates in that case....interior was no different at all!

Jay - thanks for the tips, I will try and see what I can find.

Is there anything I should be careful / wary of in terms of driving the zed - i hear the ESP is fairly useful, and whilst I'd love to do a trackday someday, don't fancy having any major 'moments' on the road, that's for sure.

In a 2007 sales brouchure i had it said the variable speed power steering was "new" for 2007, so whether it was just revised or whether it was just introduced then I dont know.

As others have said, the zed was "uprated" from 276 to 300 in 2006 along with a facelift - alloy dash trim, slightly different bumpers, xenons (i think) etc. Then in mid 2007 the 313 engine was introduced to the range along with a host of other improvements to the suspension, dual xenons and other stuff. Theres a thread on here if you can find it about "things you didnt know about the zed" and a lot of the differences between the models are covered in there.

As already said, you may as well forget about anything other than the 276 model on that budget. 2007 cars will be 10k upwards. The 276bhp car is a perfectly good car for your budget, and gives you some scope to improve performance through modifications. The later 313 car you really struggle to get much more power out of without spending big money as Nissan already did all the performance improvements they could.

For that budget id be looking at trying to get a model with brembos (not all of them had these), possibly the leather interior. If you can get one, a UK GT car would be great. Id say FSH is more important than mileage - read up on what services the car should have had to make sure they are okay, and also read up on what other stuff needs doing at various miles, such as brake fluid, spark plugs etc.. so you wont be hit by surprise bills and can check the cars been looked after correctly.

rabbitstew, many thanks - much appreciated.

i'll check for those threads you mention.

what about the clutch, was this lightened only on the 07 model onwards?

can you recommend any threads for the service intervals / maintenance etc?

and re: the earlier zeds, is the steering still manageable enough without the power assist? i.e. early cars still good enough, pre-55 plate not too shabby compared to the later models?

and re: the earlier zeds, is the steering still manageable enough without the power assist? i.e. early cars still good enough, pre-55 plate not too shabby compared to the later models?

I have a 55 reg pre facelift Coupe, my wife has an 08 reg Roadster. I drive both cars and find there's very little real life difference. The newer models have some very welcome improvements but its not like they completely transform the car or anything. Sure the clutch is a bit lighter and the steering slightly more precise The only two real differences are the top end power on the newer 313 engine and the improved headlights.

As far as registration goes then there were quite a few of the old cars that were left over in dealerships and registered after April 1st 2006 so you'll see a few of them about. However, with regards to these you should be aware that all Zeds regardless of model registered after March 17th 2006 will be in the higher tax bracket £450 or so.

Pete