Ponzi schemes .....anyone ever fallen for one.

Ricey

No shame in it........millions do.

I only ask out of interest as the guy that sorts my plumbing and heating needs (a switched on cookie I might add) has just told me about this great money making scheme he' s got involved in that's most definitely NOT a Ponzi scheme.

Told me to go home and google it then let him know if I fancy it as its an invitation only investment (I avoided clouting him with a handy piece of pipe to knock some sense into him).

Googled it and the first bazillion pages of google are about the 'banner broker' Ponzi scheme which is being run by some bloke who got pinged for another Ponzi scheme that involved property.

Poor fella. He's not put much into it (couple of hundred quid) so I've dropped him a quick text to warn him.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and tastes like a duck.........chances are its a ****ing duck.

whats a ponzi?

is this like pyramid selling?

Yes mate.....profits are paid to a select few at the top of the pyramid using the money that comes in from the expanding new entrants (base of the pyramid).

Then when people want their money out or realise its a scam it collapses. That's why you always get a few people who genuinely make money from it and they give positive publicity.

Bernard Madoff wiki pages or 'the Enron scandal' make pretty interesting reading

It's funny, I can imagine quite a few folks got stung by these schemes because there was little research they could do. Now the Internet is so accessible I thought it would be a thing of the past.

I was speaking to a guy who have me my first job a few years back, he had sold his business and was working for someone else. Turns out his accountant who he had used for years approached him with a golden opportunity. He sank a load of cash and yep you've got it a Ponzi scheme. The accountants certificates also turned out to be fake, he took a lot of small businesses down.

Felt sorry for the guy but greed got the better of him

And still laughing at the Fonzi scheme :lol:

i always go on the principal that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. because at the end of the day you don;t get something for nothing.

yes its very cliche but its true. scams tend to scam those that are greedy. its why it works. if people weren;t greedy they wouldn't invest.

The problem is with these they always generate genuine profit for genuine people to start off with which gives them credence.

It's only when it really gets popular or like in Madoffs case when everyone wants their money out at the same time does it go tits up.

I once got roped into buying loads of white T-shirts, black leather jackets and hair gel....

I think it was a Fonzi scheme.....

You still got any left dave? :)

You would want red leather mate ;)

Edited by Keyser

one of my business clients approached me on monday regarding what I instantly believed to be one of these. It struck me as odd as he is not very clued up with technology, but he was genuinely enthusiastic about it all, and offered to personally guarantee my investment. I was polite about the whole thing and didn't just scream 'PONZI!!!" or "PYRAMID!!!" at him, and he emailed me some details...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3pe9WMGjUM (bannersbroker.com for those who cant access the youtube link)

He's into this for 6 grand...

altogether now...

L3J6n.jpg

That's the one jjt.

The guy who's running it got nailed for doing the same thing with property a while back and got shut down.

I hope this guy listens to me because he doesn't really know me that well and he was proper enthusiastic about it........went to a seminar with a friend about it last night for over 2 hours listening to all these success stories!