Private Number plate yes or no

Toad

Ok now I got my new Z - still smiling, do I get a private number plate, if I'm honest i always used to laugh at them and think people who had them were a little vain, however now i got a 350z, a few people have said I should get one, i suppose it hides the fact that the car is 2004, but does it make me look a well you know.

I know there will be lots of split opinions here, but though it might be a good bit of Wednesday banter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like plates that match the car somehow, maybe one that incorporates ZED, or 350z somehow, i had a quick look when i picked up the car but there was nothing i liked enough.

tbh i wouldn't want to pay more than £250 either, and the better ones i liked were £399 or £799.

My advice would be to only get one if you are happy with what you can get.

When i was looking for mine I nearly got one that didn't really look that good as it's all I could afford.

I ended up saving for a bit longer, and spending twice as much on one that I really wanted. Its worth spending a bit more as you could potentially have it for the rest of your life!

Mine came with a private plate and while I did make sure I also got the old plates thrown in, I'm tempted to keep it as doesn't look too bad.

As has been said above, if they try to say something and you've got a cheap one they look stupid, but usually initials or something don't look too bad. I've actually seen one which suits me and the Mrs perfectly, but it's whether to justify the £499 it'll cost me when I can use that money elsewhere on the Zed

On 14/11/2012 at 10:44, missniki said:

i bought mine ending 'NKX' as everyone calls me nik or niks, and i thought it was great until somebody unhelpfully pointed out 'NKX, reads like niks but does it not make you think of pants?'.... Fail :headhurt:

I dunno...

Sounds like a win/win to me, unless pants are optional of course :scare:

My personal rule is...

If it takes more that a couple of seconds to work out = fail

Best thing is it hides the age of the car as mine is an old girl who has been around the block a few times...

Just need a private plate for the missus now :fight:

Edited by spursmaddave

Load of threads about this already on here so its worth having a search.

If its just your initials on a plate then most people dont even realise its a "private plate". So if you have like C5 AHD people just assume its a C reg car.

If you have a plate which reads something funny or interesting without spending hours mis shaping letters, adding "full stops" or bits of tape and very dodgy spacing then I think its good and worth having. However, the "better" looking the plate the more expensive it is.

Ive a few private plates ranging from £250 up to over a grand. Havent got one on my car atm as its a 61 plate car, so I dont feel the need to try and "hide" its age.

Personally unless you have money to burn i think you`d be better off spending the cash on performance mods.

Mine is N17 (Spurs postcode) FTW (For The Win or F@@@ The World)

Using your logic there, that would have been an epic fail for me as ive absolutely no idea what N17 FTW means. In fact I wouldnt even realise it was a "private plate". I would have probably have puzzled over it a little as thats a 1996 (ish) number plate which is older than a zed, so I would have scratched my brain for a bit then given up on it and maybe just assumed it was your initials.

Edited by rabbitstew

A personalised plate is as it suggests personal so who cares if others can work it out i have one on my old car which i will transfer once its winter make over is complete and i doubt many people would be able to work out what it means but it means something to me and has more meaning to as was bought as a present for me by my dad, for the record my plate is R80DRL, and i dont care if people knows what it means

I looked for one with my first name incorporated in it somewhere and they were several thousand pounds, but by pure chance the zed i bought has the initials of where i work on the reg so it looks like it's owned by a big boss when it's parked in the car park at work :notworthy:

Load of threads about this already on here so its worth having a search.

If its just your initials on a plate then most people dont even realise its a "private plate". So if you have like C5 AHD people just assume its a C reg car.

If you have a plate which reads something funny or interesting without spending hours mis shaping letters, adding "full stops" or bits of tape and very dodgy spacing then I think its good and worth having. However, the "better" looking the plate the more expensive it is.

Ive a few private plates ranging from £250 up to over a grand. Havent got one on my car atm as its a 61 plate car, so I dont feel the need to try and "hide" its age.

Personally unless you have money to burn i think you`d be better off spending the cash on performance mods.

Mine is N17 (Spurs postcode) FTW (For The Win or F@@@ The World)

Using your logic there, that would have been an epic fail for me as ive absolutely no idea what N17 FTW means. In fact I wouldnt even realise it was a "private plate". I would have probably have puzzled over it a little as thats a 1996 (ish) number plate which is older than a zed, so I would have scratched my brain for a bit then given up on it and maybe just assumed it was your initials.

No problem but my logic is sound because it doesn't pretend to 'mean' anything just hides the year.... but it means somethinv to me :thumbs:

Better than spending £10k on DAV3 1 or something stupid like that....

didn't want to search old threads rabbitstew, because new people join and old people go and if we all did that then no-one would ever post any more as most things have already been covered sometime in the past.

+ loads

It's easy to say use the search blah blah blah but then this place would get atale pretty quickly..... I for one like to keep going over the same old subjects over and over again and I bet I am not alone....

didn't want to search old threads rabbitstew, because new people join and old people go and if we all did that then no-one would ever post any more as most things have already been covered sometime in the past.

Without trying to sound like I'm jumping on you, by starting a new thread you've just made it harder for the next person who comes along to search for something as there's one more thread in the results list. Not too bad with general chat stuff like this, but certainly on the tech side it's much easier if all the info you need is in one thread rather than spread out over 20 pages of them. :)

Yeah Dan that is the response from a lot of people but if everything was neat and tidy and all new members just searched and didn't askthe age old questions then this place would be a dry as a nuns tit... :tumbleweed:

Not really, as someone could search, read the facts, then if they have any questions post their questions on the original thread.

Like we always get people asking what the differences are between the 313 and the older zeds, or what mods should I do to my 276bhp zed... or what insurance people are paying.... or should i get a personal plate....

Sometimes I think im constantly in a deja vu situation... i see a thread and think "i answered that question the other week" - then I open up the thread and cant find my reply.. so i realise its a new thread with someone asking an identical question. So then I think "okay, i`ll just search for the old thread and I can copy / paste my original reply on this one"... then search and sometimes cant even find my old thread as theres so many similar threads... so i just give up and dont bother replying to the OP.

I see enough new threads & queries on new subjects on here every day, so I doubt the place would suddenly dry up and die.

Maybe the answer to this is to have more stickies? Like one saying "read here for 10 ten questions". But, then again I guess people would actually have to read it, and if they cant be bothered they will still just post the same old question.....