Private Number plate yes or no

Toad

Im a fan of private plates. Though as has been said, if you have to squint at a jaunty angle to see what its supposed to be saying, its naff. Sticking screws and or tape on the plate to make it read as something it would otherwise not, is also a bit naff.

Ive spent way more than I should on private plates and have ended up with more plates than cars I can put them on. :blush:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Dan that is the response from a lot of people but if everything was neat and tidy and all new members just searched and didn't askthe age old questions then this place would be a dry as a nuns tit... :tumbleweed:

:lol:

True, which is why I don't mind about the chat stuff getting repeated, but given that all the info is here about intakes and exhausts and oil changes and turbo kits etc, why should the people that have spent their valuable time writing these informative posts then be spoon feeding others who are simply too lazy to search? If someone makes an effort to search but still can't find what they're looking for or hasn't used quite the right terms then I'll happily help out, but if someone just sticks their head through the door and asks what the differences are between a DE, revup and HR then I'm kinda loathe to repeat myself for the millionth time.

Maybe it's just me, but if someone makes an effort then I'll make one too, but if they don't then why should I? :shrug:

Private plates don't make you a ...well...its the person lol But I will say this... make sure it says something readable... never seen the point in 'initials' plates. Eg. mines bar 1 number...says my exact nickname...spot on and it was cheap lol.

On the repeated thread issue...if the thread is asking opinion, then why not repeat it as new people will have the opportunity to add their own thoughts which might add something no one else has picked up on - be nice to have it on the same thread - but what the heck it really isn't a big deal. However, asking a question like 'What does a remap do' needs to go straight in the bin. That IS what search is for.

As for the private plate, its like anything that is a styling issue, if you like it go for it, sod everyone else it's not their car. I'm sure if you walked around the cars and houses of the people saying private plates are naff you would find tonnes of naff stuff they have and own!

The good banter - funny comments (dryer than a nuns tit - lol), and different opinions, is exactly why starting a new thread has been far more enjoyable for me than reading an old thread about number plates, it also helps me get to know the current active members on the forum, it maybe that I should make an effort to search for a thread similar first and I will do in the future, but it is also an effort to post new threads and be active on this forum - so not sure which is the better solution.

The good banter - funny comments (dryer than a nuns tit - lol), and different opinions, is exactly why starting a new thread has been far more enjoyable for me than reading an old thread about number plates, it also helps me get to know the current active members on the forum, it maybe that I should make an effort to search for a thread similar first and I will do in the future, but it is also an effort to post new threads and be active on this forum - so not sure which is the better solution.

Although i have been a member for a few years now i mainly sat in the background and didnt comment to much although i am logged on for atleast 8 hours a day, only recently have i started posting more and becoming more active so although this topic has been covered before i dont believe i ever gave my opinion on the subject and have only done so now as the question was raised again. The thing with opinions is they change and someone who posted on an old topic that they think something is naff might now like said something so why not get fresh opinions.

Edited by rodgeevans

I was in the same boat as you on private plates but I wouldnt hesitate to get one to hide the age of the car. I got my car in August and this was one of the only modifications that I wanted to make. My surname is Page and I have been looking out for a "pagey" plate for years and when this one finally came up for sale I had to get it, I didnt like the price at almost 3k but I will keep this for life so its not all bad and being a Y reg it can go on almost any car. I didnt want to get a plate that you have to manipulate in anyway to read what it says.. I also know that to anyone that doesnt know my surname is page it just looks like "pag" "eey" but I dont care.

IMG_0214.JPG

On the car:

IMG_0221.JPG

Edited by pagey

Thanks although I think a plate is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To most people I have told they think I am crazy but hey :). Im still keeping my eye out for PAG 3Y, PAG 333Y and P4 GEY if they ever become available I would like to pick them up too.

Edited by pagey

I like them, just so long as theyre not spaced irregularly or have screw covers to make them look like something theyre not. I bought mine to inspire me to one day own a car that it was actually describing; until I get a V12 it hides the age nicely and makes it look a bit different (if its ginger colour wasnt enough!).

Ive started collecting ones starting BA11 for my surname, thought I would be beaten to the punch by some footballer for BA11 BOY at a recent dvla auction, but not so :yahoo:

Surely a trip to Wimbledon is in order just for the photo opportunity B)

Probably. I got it for my son in years to come, but I think Ill probably put it on a car before then. Cost a bloody fortune, but my heart was ruling my head when I had visions of putting it on my sons car. :lol:

Ive started collecting ones starting BA11 for my surname, thought I would be beaten to the punch by some footballer for BA11 BOY at a recent dvla auction, but not so :yahoo:

Surely a trip to Wimbledon is in order just for the photo opportunity B)

Probably. I got it for my son in years to come, but I think Ill probably put it on a car before then. Cost a bloody fortune, but my heart was ruling my head when I had visions of putting it on my sons car. :lol:

Impulse buys are always the best

how about BA11 AIK

BA11 SAK has to be in there somewhere?! :lol:

I have always sat on the fence regarding private plates as near me there are some truely tragic examples - K15 SME, B10 WME, L12 KME jumping to mind - I am more leaning to getting one but I just can't find anything that takes my fancy or is obvious enough not to look stupid

It wasnt an impluse - I had been waiting for the auction, registered beforehand to bid online, set time aside to sit and wait for the lot number to come round, set myself a strict budget. Then blew it and got carried away in the moment :lol:

Oh that boy is going get spoilt rotten. :):thumbs:

how about BA11 AIK

BA11 SAK has to be in there somewhere?! :lol:

I have always sat on the fence regarding private plates as near me there are some truely tragic examples - K15 SME, B10 WME, L12 KME jumping to mind - I am more leaning to getting one but I just can't find anything that takes my fancy or is obvious enough not to look stupid

Surely you mean SAC? :)