Question about a possible scam

djrm

Hi everyone

I am selling my 350Z and have put ads on Pistonheads and Gumtree so far.

Yesterday I had a reply from someone called Angela Hunt via the Gumtree ad.

She said that she was very interested to buy the car but she is not located in the UK, she is in Europe and would want to have the car shipped there, which is fine with me.

I showed her extensive photos of the car because she is unable to view and she decided that she wants to buy it. She then asked me for paypal details which I refused as I do not feel comfortable using Paypal for something so large. I said to her that the only payment method I would accept is a bank transfer. She agreed that this was fine.

Earlier I sent her my bank details along with the address that the car is kept so that she could arrange collection of the vehicle. She says that she will be making a deposit tomorrow for the full amount + the shipping fee tomorrow morning. She asked if I could pay the shipping company because apparently it's easier to do it that way than for her to?? This part made me a bit unsure... I then looked up car export scams on google and found that this whole pay the shipping for me thing was a scam but only when the buyer sends a cheque etc which can bounce / be cancelled... I have since emailed her saying not to pay me until she agrees to make the payment to the shipping company herself.

My questions are:

If she does pay me the full amount + shipping costs and the shipping company is legit and the amount is right, is it all ok? Can a bank transfer be reversed at any time buy the buyer or is it a case of once it's in my account it's there safely?

If she does not pay me tomorrow, could she use my bank details to setup a direct debit or something to drain money from me without me knowing about it or my consent and if so can I block it / get it reversed?

I do now regret sending her my bank details so hastily and should have done more research 1st as I am a bit worried now, there are so many scams out there nowadays!

Sorry for the essay everyone, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan :wacko:

There's no way she or even he (you never know) can access your account.

Just in case notify your bank of the potential scam and what information you provided. They will confirm if there has or will be any security breach.

For sure sell the car in the UK.

Pistonheads have issued warnings about PayPal scams.

They want your PayPal details for some reason.

What ever you do,if this person sends you an online

form under the heading Paypal credit form delete it.

Trust you have a tracker on now they have your home address.

mind you they have your name address so just need your PayPal account details please!

:scare:

The paypal thing could be a number of things, they could send you a payment of £0.00 and say that when you hand the car over to the transport company they will release the funds. Another is that they overpay you, and ask you to pay the transport company direct the difference you owe them, then they withdraw back whats left of the balance from your paypal account (apparently this can be done) and your cash disappears off to a scam transport company. Etc etc

Problem is, now you have given bank details, address and email address, you will be on a scam list and get pestered by them trying to sucker you into parting with your cash, so let your bank know and and be aware of more emails.

Hi everyone

I am selling my 350Z and have put ads on Pistonheads and Gumtree so far.

Yesterday I had a reply from someone called Angela Hunt via the Gumtree ad.

She said that she was very interested to buy the car but she is not located in the UK, she is in Europe and would want to have the car shipped there, which is fine with me.

I showed her extensive photos of the car because she is unable to view and she decided that she wants to buy it. She then asked me for paypal details which I refused as I do not feel comfortable using Paypal for something so large. I said to her that the only payment method I would accept is a bank transfer. She agreed that this was fine.

Earlier I sent her my bank details along with the address that the car is kept so that she could arrange collection of the vehicle. She says that she will be making a deposit tomorrow for the full amount + the shipping fee tomorrow morning. She asked if I could pay the shipping company because apparently it's easier to do it that way than for her to?? This part made me a bit unsure... I then looked up car export scams on google and found that this whole pay the shipping for me thing was a scam but only when the buyer sends a cheque etc which can bounce / be cancelled... I have since emailed her saying not to pay me until she agrees to make the payment to the shipping company herself.

My questions are:

If she does pay me the full amount + shipping costs and the shipping company is legit and the amount is right, is it all ok? Can a bank transfer be reversed at any time buy the buyer or is it a case of once it's in my account it's there safely?

If she does not pay me tomorrow, could she use my bank details to setup a direct debit or something to drain money from me without me knowing about it or my consent and if so can I block it / get it reversed?

I do now regret sending her my bank details so hastily and should have done more research 1st as I am a bit worried now, there are so many scams out there nowadays!

Sorry for the essay everyone, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan :wacko:

Also, why are you not advertising your car on here??

Why on earth would someone in Europe want a right hand drive car over there, I would have asked myself - immediate alarm bells to the point I wouldn't have even got into a discussion and given it is hardly a big deal/cost these days to fly over and give the car the once over :shrug:

One of the biggest scams along these lines comes from Spain.

Right hand drive car for sale in Spain. For sale.

Owner is away and wants quick sale.

Full payment by PayPal then go and collect it.

Keys with neighbour lol.

Autotrader and EBay were rife with them.

Worth opening a one off eBay count for upwards of £15k

:lol:

Why on earth would someone in Europe want a right hand drive car over there, I would have asked myself - immediate alarm bells to the point I wouldn't have even got into a discussion and given it is hardly a big deal/cost these days to fly over and give the car the once over :shrug:

Suppose its different but a lot of TVRs are going over to Europe or even further. I had offers from Holland and Germany when I was selling mine and my mates chimaera ended up being shipped to New Zealand

Suppose its different but a lot of TVRs are going over to Europe or even further. I had offers from Holland and Germany when I was selling mine and my mates chimaera ended up being shipped to New Zealand

What colour was it??? One of my mates purchased one a few months back.