iPhone 5

Adrian@TORQEN

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK will be getting Apple’s new Maps app, including the Turn-by-Turn Navigation feature, local search, traffic, and business reviews. As for the 3D buildings feature, Apple lists just the US, despite showing off the 3D model of Big Ben during the iPhone 5’s launch on Wednesday. Perhaps the UK’s omission on the list indicates that many parts of the UK have yet to be included in the 3D Flyover.

Those with Siri will be pleased to know that the voice-assistant has learned about Sports, restaurants, movies (including reviews and show times) and local businesses. Siri is now also integrated to Twitter and Facebook, meaning you can ask it to update your Facebook status or send a tweet for you.

Siri won’t be able to book a table at UK restaurants though. Apple lists just USA, Canada and Mexico as having this feature.

Can't be bothered reading 9 pages of this crap but from the pics it looks like its been made into another hideous unwieldy nexus sized phone.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong because ive got an s2 and I hate it for that very reason......the iPhone was always such a nice size, feel and look of materials.

Can't be bothered reading 9 pages of this crap but from the pics it looks like its been made into another hideous unwieldy nexus sized phone.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong because ive got an s2 and I hate it for that very reason......the iPhone was always such a nice size, feel and look of materials.

Go back a page or two and Adrian has provided the specifications.

Lazy mong :p

It's not as much bigger as you think. I put a tape measure next to my 4S last night and it was only fractionally bigger, certainly nothing the over-compensating S3 brigade have anything to worry about. ;)

Apple made it official—the company said on Friday that it has been "completely blown away" by iPhone 5 pre-orders. Announced during a media event on Wednesday, Apple sold out of its initial inventory for the device in only one hour Friday morning when it went on sale at midnight.

In a statement issued to AllThingsD, an Apple spokesperson said, "Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible. We’ve been completely blown away by the customer response."

There's more to that statement than it being simply PR-speak making a big deal about selling out of its pre-order stock. Apple keeps a tight rein on all official communications, and what this statement really means is, "Yes, we sold out in just an hour, but we made a ton of these things ahead of time. No, seriously, it was a lot—more than we've ever made for another iPhone rollout—and our quarterly results are going to reflect that."

Apple can't just come out and say that, however. Well, it could, but that's not what Apple does. Nonetheless, the message will be loud and clear for analysts and investors alike. This way Apple gets to deliver its message without actually saying it.

This is especially important because Apple has seen earlier declines in iPhone sales ahead of product refreshes as leaks have proliferated and consumers have paid attention to Apple's scheduling. By making a lot of iPhone 5s for the official launch on Friday, September 21st—and selling them—the company will book this initial wave of sales during its fiscal fourth quarter.

In comparison, last year's iPhone 4S was announced on October 4th, and all of the initial wave went into the December quarter. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer and Apple CEO Tim Cook at that time blamed a sales shortfall in the third quarter on rumors and leaks. By moving the launch date back three weeks and building a ton of the new models ahead of time, Apple has sort of solved that particular issue, at least for the last quarter before said refresh.

What they really mean is - look at all those f'in numpties out there - we've given you a phone that is hardly better than the old one and you still all go and upgrade - MUHAHAHAHAH

:stir:

Once it's delivered we shall see exactly if it's an improvement.

I was out of contract over 3 months ago so it's no skin of my nose to upgrade to a new phone. With £60 off as well I couldn't really moan.