I need a family car!

Leeroy

I'm pleased to say that we'll be needing a family car soon so I'm starting to look at my options.

I was hoping to keep the Zed and buy a posh shed (Volvo T5, SAAB 9-3, Octavia VRS etc) but it really is a bit of an indulgence as I'll hardly use the Zed and we only need one car.

I just can't decide what car to get, so far the shortlist is ;

Audi B7 S4

Pro's - V8, 4WD, Nicely designed and built, apparently has some (shock horror!) oversteer options.

Cons - 4WD.

BMW E90 335i

Pro's - RWD.

Cons - Not a V8, no LSD.

BMW E60 550i

Pro's - V8

Cons - Bit of a barge, no LSD.

Basically, as you can see I'm a bit hung up on RWD and a LSD and I really want a V8 - the other option is an AMG but I'm really not into older Mercs. And Jag's, Fords and Vauxhalls are out too.

In an ideal world I'd have a C63 AMG or Lexus IS-F they're above my budget.

I have three questions ;

What have I missed?

Does the 335i engine sound any good?

Are the BMW e-diffs any good?

All help greatly appreciated!!!

why not an M5?

its V8 and RWD if thats what you want.

persoanlly on that list i'd be possibly going for the S4 or B7

The M5 SMG gearbox would get on my nerves I think, it needs to be an easy drive around town etc.

The B7 S4 does feel a bit more special than the 335i doesn't it.

And Ricey, the budget is £18K max. The problem is that just gets me into the arse end of the RS4 market.....must......resist :lol:

E60 M5. SMGII box is fine pootling, leave it in the slowest setting and it's as smooth as an auto. Crank the speed up and put it into manual and it's manic. I wouldn't even consider anything else at that price and that type of car, the V10 is a work of art.

E60 M5. SMGII box is fine pooling, leave it in the slowest setting and it's as smooth as an auto. Crank the speed up and put it into manual and it's manic. I wouldn't even consider anything else at that price and that type of car, the V10 is a work of art.

OK, I might test one, I love the E60 M5 :cloud9: Whilst I generally scoff at fuel consumption complaints, I don't want to see low teens on the display. I'm pretty sure that's what I'd achieve with the M5 although I doubt the S4 will be much better and it has 2 cylinders less!

Have to say the consumption of the 335i at around 30mpg is pretty impressive....

IS-F's are amazing if you can stretch to one, I dont know what XF V8's are costing s/h but they are similarly astonishing cars. If you cant do either of them then Id be looking at an AMG Merc or a 335 - 335 engines are one of my personal favourites, I like the V10 M5 but its sooooo thirsty its ridiculous and they are MASSIVE. Every S4 Ive driven Ive liked everything but the handling which Ive hated as it feels like the engine is about 10ft in front of the car :blink:

I like the e-diff on the M3 but not so much on the 335, theres a guy on here that fitted a Quaife though and says its night and day :nod:

Others to consider are Maserati Quattroporte, 535d (best car in the world?), lesser XF's (which are still pretty amazing cars), or from leftfield, what about an Evo X?

IS-F's are amazing if you can stretch to one, I dont know what XF V8's are costing s/h but they are similarly astonishing cars. If you cant do either of them then Id be looking at an AMG Merc or a 335 - 335 engines are one of my personal favourites, I like the V10 M5 but its sooooo thirsty its ridiculous and they are MASSIVE. Every S4 Ive driven Ive liked everything but the handling which Ive hated as it feels like the engine is about 10ft in front of the car :blink:

I like the e-diff on the M3 but not so much on the 335, theres a guy on here that fitted a Quaife though and says its night and day :nod:

Others to consider are Maserati Quattroporte, 535d (best car in the world?), lesser XF's (which are still pretty amazing cars), or from leftfield, what about an Evo X?

I like the rarity of the IS-F, only those in the know would recognise it. Sadly out of my price range though, as is the C63.

Have you driven the B7 S4? I'm interested to know if the oversteer rumours are true.

I've heard about the aftermarket LSD's on E92 Beemers, would love to do that but I guess it costs thousands.

Oh no, you've got me looking at a Jag saloon now, see - I'm so easily led :lol: What's the best petrol to have, the SV8?

Diesels are definitely out though :lol:

The Evo X is a weird one, would love to drive it but couldn't own one. Mostly the image, but also the ridiculous service schedule and MPG.

S4 won't oversteer. Ever. It's an Audi, that's what they do. :teeth:

Exaggeration, of course, but held in truth. As per the factory setup, an Audi will understeer significantly and you'd need to engineer that out with some aggressive geo settings. Don't get too hung up on LSDs, they're not that important if the car was designed not to have one.

The last one I drove was a B7 - lovely engine, beautifully built, great to look at but had less grip than a monkey with no fingers and handled like a pig - literally, like what Id imagine a pig to handle like. I do have a friend selling a B7 RS4 within your ballpark though if you might be interested, Ive heard they are much better at corners :)

Ive driven a friends 5.0 V8 XF a couple of times and was amazed at the way it hustles while still feeling like a magic carpet all the time - cant speak for the SV8 but have heard there were reliability issues in the old XJR's. Id definitely try one - I was looking at IS-F's/C63/M3's a little while back and while the "normal" XF is just a little soft for me, Im one of the few people that does very definitely need an LSD in my car, so probably not your average jag driver, the owner of this particular car is on his 4th jag in a row (second XF) and adores it. Even my missus likes it and she hates jags with a passion! :D

And as for oversteering Audis ............

(any excuse) :D

presumably you're buying an estate for those occasions where you need to cart three others and boot full of luggage around too? I haven't driven any of the cars mentioned here, but why not save "thrill" funds for the weekend two-seater toy and spend sensible amounts on the estate? If you buy a 350bhp V8 Oodi S4 or something along those lines, you might find that it starts to eclispe the zed, or make it less enjoyable...

Get a diesel octavia for £10k and put the remaining £8-10k (and servicing budget!) to put towards an R8/GT-R/XK-R or whatever exotica you can afford.

The last one I drove was a B7 - lovely engine, beautifully built, great to look at but had less grip than a monkey with no fingers and handled like a pig

This is what I feared, a great engine is not good in a car that doesn't handle.

I do have a friend selling a B7 RS4 within your ballpark though if you might be interested, Ive heard they are much better at corners :)

If it's not moon and back milaeage or CAT D then this would be interesting at under £18K ;)

And as for oversteering Audis ............

(any excuse) :D

Awesome, I used to have a B3 Audi Coupe and hankered after an S2 at the time....

presumably you're buying an estate for those occasions where you need to cart three others and boot full of luggage around too? I haven't driven any of the cars mentioned here, but why not save "thrill" funds for the weekend two-seater toy and spend sensible amounts on the estate? If you buy a 350bhp V8 Oodi S4 or something along those lines, you might find that it starts to eclispe the zed, or make it less enjoyable...

Get a diesel octavia for £10k and put the remaining £8-10k (and servicing budget!) to put towards an R8/GT-R/XK-R or whatever exotica you can afford.

I doubt an S4 will eclipse the Zed in the smile-per-mile factor :lol:

I've thought (and am still thinking!) about this but can't really justify running two cars. Hence the careful thought about buying the 'sensible' car with the most character.

If you can send me a link to R8's and GT-R's for £10K though, I'll take a ride out and pick them all up tomorrow ;)

I doubt an S4 will eclipse the Zed in the smile-per-mile factor :lol:

I've thought (and am still thinking!) about this but can't really justify running two cars. Hence the careful thought about buying the 'sensible' car with the most character.

If you can send me a link to R8's and GT-R's for £10K though, I'll take a ride out and pick them all up tomorrow ;)

To put TOWARDS an R8! I guess you'll be needing a £50k war chest for either of those two...

It would be silly to run a Z and an RS4/6 avant at the same time, no? Or perhaps meet half-way and go for the RS4 saloon? Compared to some of the others mentioned on this thread, I'd imagine the depreciation on one of those would be slightly more bearable. They are potential classics. possibly-ish.

It would be silly to run a Z and an RS4/6 avant at the same time, no? Or perhaps meet half-way and go for the RS4 saloon? Compared to some of the others mentioned on this thread, I'd imagine the depreciation on one of those would be slightly more bearable. They are potential classics. possibly-ish.

Make perfect sense to me if I bought an older RS6 I could keep the Zed and have lots left over for petrol :lol:

Seriously though, I don't want to run two cars at the moment and the max budget is £18K at a stretch. That isn't enough for a kosher RS4.

what about a w12 engine

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3616937.htm

Mmm that's lovely, full Audi history too :thumbs:

I've been taking a sneaky peek at Phaeton's too - I like the rarity aspect but not sure I really want something that looks like a pumped Passat :lol:

one of the things me and my dad were looking at was buying a V8 and then convert to LPG. suddenly a car that did high teens MPG is equivilent to nearly 40 MPG but with V8 performance.

can't do it on the XKR as the SC is in the way of where the Gas injectors would go. but future family cars i've been toying with are things like bmw 6 and 7 series. audi A8's. or xf's or XJ's or even early 2000 M5's