I need a family car!

Leeroy

E39 M5s looks great, what colour is it?

It's the Le Mans Blue finish, looks really good.

I need to get out and give her a good detail, I'll pop some pics up when I've done that :)

I was going to say BMWs look best in Le Mans Blue....not that am biased B)

I'm pleased to say that we'll be needing a family car soon so I'm starting to look at my options.

I was hoping to keep the Zed and buy a posh shed (Volvo T5, SAAB 9-3, Octavia VRS etc) but it really is a bit of an indulgence as I'll hardly use the Zed and we only need one car.

I just can't decide what car to get, so far the shortlist is ;

Audi B7 S4

Pro's - V8, 4WD, Nicely designed and built, apparently has some (shock horror!) oversteer options.

Cons - 4WD.

BMW E90 335i

Pro's - RWD.

Cons - Not a V8, no LSD.

BMW E60 550i

Pro's - V8

Cons - Bit of a barge, no LSD.

Basically, as you can see I'm a bit hung up on RWD and a LSD and I really want a V8 - the other option is an AMG but I'm really not into older Mercs. And Jag's, Fords and Vauxhalls are out too.

In an ideal world I'd have a C63 AMG or Lexus IS-F they're above my budget.

I have three questions ;

What have I missed?

Does the 335i engine sound any good?

Are the BMW e-diffs any good?

All help greatly appreciated!!!

Sell the Wife & Kids on ebay & get a newer Z :lol:

I was going to say BMWs look best in Le Mans Blue....not that am biased B)

Hey Gang :thumbs:

Yep, the blue does look good - IMO the black and silver doesn't look great on the E39, although they work fabulously on the E60.....

There are some really bad leather options on the E39 M5 as it goes, particularly bad are the blue and black and red and black combo's. I can't believe people ever thought that was acceptable when signing a cheque for over £50K on a 5 series :D

I haven't forgotten about the 335i, it's still on the list of future 'Q' cars. I did see a tidy looking one with a Quaife diff up for sale (£13K) that I almost made a cheeky offer on as it sat around on Pishtonheads for awhile.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd update my post with an update and some pics.

After buying the car I had it checked out by Phil Crouch who is something of an M Car guru. His workshop is cool and it was nice to see so many M models together.

There was some bad news though, the most feared failure issue on the E39 M5 is rod bearing damage. It's fairly common on higher mileage cars and many treat it as a maintenance item once the car hit's 100K or so.

This was diagnosed on my car, manifested as a tappety knocking sound at 2500rpm so I had this fixed.

It also needed a new timing chain guide as it's made from plastic and starts to fall apart and float around the engine at - you guessed it - 100K miles. I also had two new traction control arms fitted and treated myself to a Vanos anti-rattle kit - this kit cures the 'dieselly' knocking sound which is typical of the BMW variable valve timing system. It's a common and accepted thing and gets louder over time, but it sounds so wrong on these cars - happily the V8 is the only sound to be heard now :D

Finally the car got an Inspection 2 service which includes 'box and diff oil. My M5 was in the garage for awhile which was a killer during the 'honeymoon' period after buying it, but after a couple of weeks and £3.5K (!) lighter I got a very different car back.

I got a really good deal on the car which swallowed up most of the repair outlay and looking on the bright side all the big ticket maintenance items are now done - I don't need to be paranoid about rod bearings failing and having a hole punched through the block!

It is simply awesome, the power and noise are amazing and the thing feels so refined. One thing the car can't escape from is the weight, you feel it most (obviously) when braking but it's strangely well contained when on the move. The cornering speeds are outrageous - those fat tyres generate some serious 'G' but 400bhp is easily capable of overwhelming them when asked. Oversteer is very progressive and in the limited time that I've had the car I'd say it's actually easier to manage than the 350Z. I reckon it'd be a different story if you got too ham-fisted (or ham-footed?) at higher speeds and needed to contain that mass though.

The recent costs have put a few jobs on hold, in time I need to sort a couple of minor rust spots and get the wheels refurbed. Once these bits are done I'll have a mint E39 M5 for well under £10K - my man maths concludes that this is amazing value for a true performance car icon :thumbs:

Apologies fopr the crappy 'phone pics, I'll stick some nicer ones up when I've got some.

WP_20130427_046a_zps64196a00.jpg

WP_20130427_048a_zps3f803eab.jpg

WP_20130427_050a_zps91f53951.jpg

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

Nice one for doing a write up, good to read !

We should have a catch up half way between us at some point, you can check to see if I've ruined your old car :lol:

They are fast feckers when on the move as well.

I remember being in the back of a mates one going through Germany, holding onto a GT3 RS wing (another friend had an incident on track ;) ), thinking to myself...hey we're going pretty fast aren't we... yes, about 170ish or so :teeth:

• 4 weeks later...

My nephew had one of those, same colour and year.... was great until he stuck it in a ditch :surrender:

It's a big ol' machine Dave, so easily done I'd say. The car fools you into thinking it's lighter than it is because of the power and handling on the move. This can result in a few 'squeaky-bum-time' stops and corners though :D

I should think your new Jaaaaag is similar.

Bit of a late response here Rob, I havn't spent much time 'round these parts lately :)

Nice one for doing a write up, good to read !

We should have a catch up half way between us at some point, you can check to see if I've ruined your old car :lol:

I'm sure your fettling has transformed her. Be good to see the difference some time fo' sho'!

They are fast feckers when on the move as well.

I remember being in the back of a mates one going through Germany.....thinking to myself...hey we're going pretty fast aren't we... yes, about 170ish or so :teeth:

It goes like a train. The previous owner admitted to hitting 170 on the Autobahn and from experience to date that would be a rather simple task ;) The E39 M5 is commonly known as 'The Beast'. Personally, I think it's a bit ghey when people give cars names but that one's pretty apt :D

Edited by Leeroy

I'm pleased to say that we'll be needing a family car soon so I'm starting to look at my options.

I was hoping to keep the Zed and buy a posh shed (Volvo T5, SAAB 9-3, Octavia VRS etc) but it really is a bit of an indulgence as I'll hardly use the Zed and we only need one car.

I just can't decide what car to get, so far the shortlist is ;

Audi B7 S4

Pro's - V8, 4WD, Nicely designed and built, apparently has some (shock horror!) oversteer options.

Cons - 4WD.

BMW E90 335i

Pro's - RWD.

Cons - Not a V8, no LSD.

BMW E60 550i

Pro's - V8

Cons - Bit of a barge, no LSD.

Basically, as you can see I'm a bit hung up on RWD and a LSD and I really want a V8 - the other option is an AMG but I'm really not into older Mercs. And Jag's, Fords and Vauxhalls are out too.

In an ideal world I'd have a C63 AMG or Lexus IS-F they're above my budget.

I have three questions ;

What have I missed?

Does the 335i engine sound any good?

Are the BMW e-diffs any good?

All help greatly appreciated!!!

X5/ X6 or a Range Rover Sport. All V8 lots room got a bit of poke as well. :thumbs:

X5/ X6 or a Range Rover Sport. All V8 lots room got a bit of poke as well. :thumbs:

Bit late Will, he's bought an M5 as in the pics 7 posts above yours ;)

Oh no, my inner hatred of urban 4x4's has been stirred again....must....resist.....responding :D