I need a family car!

Leeroy

RS4s are lovely I was all set to get one untill I came across the 'carbon build up' issue. The fuel injectors need cleaning every 10-15k miles to get rid of carbon build up. Without getting rid of the carbon build up BHP will be alot less than what's quoted, some have dynoed as low as 275whp!!

There's always the E90 M3, no problems with turbos because its NA, no issues with carbon build up, quicker than almost anything else with 4 doors and a boot...and they are getting towards the £20k mark :yahoo:.

RS4s are lovely I was all set to get one untill I came across the 'carbon build up' issue. The fuel injectors need cleaning every 10-15k miles to get rid of carbon build up. Without getting rid of the carbon build up BHP will be alot less than what's quoted, some have dynoed as low as 275whp!!

There's always the E90 M3, no problems with turbos because its NA, no issues with carbon build up, quicker than almost anything else with 4 doors and a boot...and they are getting towards the £20k mark :yahoo:.

The Audi FSI carbon build up is a shocker, especially as it affects so many models across their range. Basically you need to allow a grand every 15K miles for a valve clean and check that revised dampers have been fitted to counter possible dynamic ride control issues. No one said nice cars were cheap to run though ;)

The 335i is looking like a good option as I can get one for £15K and leave a couple of bags of sand in the bank for emergencies. Last night I watched a vid of VBH driving a 335i Coupe around Anglesey - I think it might tick my boxes B)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking into potential family cars again and have discovered that the B7 Audi S4 got an updated centre diff (as fitted to the RS4) from 2006 on. Apparently it has a 20:80 split so most of the power can be applied to the axle with the most grip. This sounds promising - although it clearly won't be as pointable as an RS4, an agressive geo set-up should improve it somewhat.

For some reason BMW's leave me a bit cold, I kind of wish they didn't :shrug: I also seem to have an incurable V8 itch :lol:

Drive an S4 before doing anything, as Im pretty sure I said earlier in the thread I was amazed at how bad the handling was. I last test drove one in about 2006 so may or may not have had the updated diff :)

No word from my mate with the B7 though, sorry dude :(

Drive an S4 before doing anything, as Im pretty sure I said earlier in the thread I was amazed at how bad the handling was. I last test drove one in about 2006 so may or may not have had the updated diff :)

I'll definitely be testing the options, either way I should have the car within a month or so.

No word from my mate with the B7 though, sorry dude :(

No worries :thumbs:

For some reason BMW's leave me a bit cold, I kind of wish they didn't :shrug:

Have you had the chance to drive a 33i5? I looked at just about every other option before test driving the 335, and all of a sudden i understood why all car journalists rave about the 3 series :D

Still the current S4 (B8) look very nice, remap one of those and apparent you be seeing 400bhp+, add on 4WD, 33mpg and the option to have it as an avant I cannot see many better/faster family car :scare: I have to say its one of only a few cars i would consider replacing my 335i with, someone from work has just dropped over £40K on one and cannot wait for it arrive so that I can have a run with it against my 335i :)

For some reason BMW's leave me a bit cold, I kind of wish they didn't :shrug:

Have you had the chance to drive a 33i5? I looked at just about every other option before test driving the 335, and all of a sudden i understood why all car journalists rave about the 3 series :D

Still the current S4 (B8) look very nice, remap one of those and apparent you be seeing 400bhp+, add on 4WD, 33mpg and the option to have it as an avant I cannot see many better/faster family car :scare: I have to say its one of only a few cars i would consider replacing my 335i with, someone from work has just dropped over £40K on one and cannot wait for it arrive so that I can have a run with it against my 335i :)

My car requirements might be changing due to a house we've seen, it needs complete renovation so this new car might end up needing to be £10K or less. i can handle that as the house is a real opportunity but must say the change of tack is a bit depressing.

There are 335i's out there for £10K but they have 100K+ on the clock and that makes me a tad nervous as I want to minimise the possibility of big repair bills.

I've started looking at 330i's and older S4's now. To be honest this is going to be a family wagon and whilst i want something quick with character, I don't intend intend to drive it the same way as I do the Zed so I reckon I could handle a temporary move to wrong-wheel-drive :cold:

All that said, I'm still trying to convince my better half of the merits of an E39 M5 :lol:

All that said, I'm still trying to convince my better half of the merits of an E39 M5 :lol:

V8? Check. :thumbs:

400hp through rear wheels? Check. :thumbs:

What else do you need? :shrug:

You don't need to tell me :lol:

I can see the long haired sergeant's logic, at a time when we may well be raiding the penny jar to create an awesome house big repair bills for a car wouldn't go down well at all.

If your still after a 335i, there's a chap trying to shift a pretty minte example (57 plate, 67k, sat nav) with some nice mods and BMW warranty for.....£12k :wacko:

Here's the link, honestly cannot believe how little you have to spent to get a 335i these days, I cannot think of anyting else for that price that comes close in terms of performance and practicality!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716505

• 1 month later...

Iv'e been looking at Jag XF's :cloud9:

A white one would be my choice.... And the 2.7D is almost as qick as the 3ltr petrol but a lot more economical..... Interior is kind of bland but really up to date and spacious....

Really tempted to flog the Zed & the Leon, get an XF and a little run around.....

Iv'e been looking at Jag XF's :cloud9:

A white one would be my choice.... And the 2.7D is almost as qick as the 3ltr petrol but a lot more economical..... Interior is kind of bland but really up to date and spacious....

Really tempted to flog the Zed & the Leon, get an XF and a little run around.....

They are good looking things, apparently a decent drive too. I fancy a V8 next but the SV8 is almost RS4 money....

If your still after a 335i, there's a chap trying to shift a pretty minte example (57 plate, 67k, sat nav) with some nice mods and BMW warranty for.....£12k wacko.gif

Here's the link, honestly cannot believe how little you have to spent to get a 335i these days, I cannot think of anyting else for that price that comes close in terms of performance and practicality!!

http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=716505

That is CHEAP!!

If you really want something "special" take a look at the Alpina B3 GT3, almost as fast as a M3 GTS around the ring but £50K cheaper, still not quite a bargain at nearly £70K....but its essentially a standard 335i with a LSD, better brakes, better suspension, and a power increase upto 400bhp. 335i are going from £10K now, you can add an LSD, and get 400bhp from a stock 335i for £2.5K, spend another £2K on brakes/suspension and for less than £15K your have a very nicely sorted bit of kit (which can also sit 4 adults, with a decent boot and do 35-40mpg on M ways)!

http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=761943

If you really want something "special" take a look at the Alpina B3 GT3

Is that the one Evo reviewed this month? Nice but not on brief ;)

335i are going from £10K now, you can add an LSD, and get 400bhp from a stock 335i for £2.5K, spend another £2K on brakes/suspension and for less than £15K your have a very nicely sorted bit of kit (which can also sit 4 adults, with a decent boot and do 35-40mpg on M ways)!http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=761943

Don't worry gang, I KNOW it's a great option ;)

The budget might be taking a hit due to a house purchase, which older BM's are worth looking at? 330i? Did they do M-Sports around 2003-2004? Did any non-M Cars at that time have LSD's? We're probably looking at £3-4K and we still need a tourer.

Edited by Leeroy

• 5 months later...

I thought I'd update this thread with the news that we're now proud owners of a Le Mans Blue E39 M5.

It wasn't an easy decision to be honest, it's a 2001 car so is clearly going to cost a fair bit to keep it sweet. Younger cars were on the shortlist (335i, S4 etc) which 'should' be more reliable but I decided I'd rather spend less cash on a sublime older car and leave a bit in the war chest for running it.

I've only driven a few miles so far but it seems to run well and sounds out of this world - it has a Supersprint X-pipe which helps ;)

The downsides are a couple of rust bubble to sort, wheels to refurb, pixels out on the dash........actually let's just forget about the downsides for now :D

You sir, drive a chariot of Heros.

To be honest after the Zed the next car was going to have to be something a bit special. I really enjoyed the character of the 350Z and knew it's replacement was going to have to be RWD with a stonking 'V' engine.

I came close to getting a 335i but just couldn't get excited by it. Let's just hope my Beast is a good'n and doesn't blow up in the next few weeks :D