Olympics??

taffyjason

do some reading dblock, i cant be arsed educating you

That's not very nice. What if everyone replied to your threads when your asking about your car in the same manner?

Ohh you talking about the one that doesn't exist anymore?

funnily enough you're the only one ive come across that antagonises, in the future its just easier to ignore you're comments

Wahhhhh :dummy::lol:

Good opening ceremony though I think it went really well :#1:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Boyle. Legend.

That was such a well designed show. We were never going to beat Beijing on scale, but that was a clever and meaningful performance as opposed to the 4 hours of willy-waving we got from the Chinese. Kind of: "Yes you can do a big opening ceremony, but we did just about everything else in history"

Not sure how people think that was pandering to a hollywood view of Britain :wacko: I really liked the fact that there was a lot of british humour in there, and quite a few references that I doubt many foreigners would have got. It seemed to be pitched mainly to the British people to me.

Damn good job all involved :thumbs:

DB

Certainly makes you proud to be British!

Muhammed Ali is looking well past his best now though! Such a sad sight!

Sadly you're right, and whilst I know he's trying to fight it as best he can it was almost embarrassing to see a great man like him having a carer by his side pushing his arm up and telling him to wave :( For the sake of his legend, I hope he's not paraded in front of the world like that too many more times in his life.

Sadly you're right, and whilst I know he's trying to fight it as best he can it was almost embarrassing to see a great man like him having a carer by his side pushing his arm up and telling him to wave :( For the sake of his legend, I hope he's not paraded in front of the world like that too many more times in his life.

Agreed, and I'm afraid its about time they pensioned off Paul M from these ceremonies - he's not doing himself any favours now :shrug:

But it was a good show and quite amazing how they got all those volunteers to move the sets about it what seemed a faultless show :clap:

He was shocking, I hope he paid us to perform :wacko:

Agreed, and I'm afraid its about time they pensioned off Paul M from these ceremonies - he's not doing himself any favours now :shrug:

But it was a good show and quite amazing how they got all those volunteers to move the sets about it what seemed a faultless show :clap:

Sounds like it was a bit of a spectacle.

Missed the lot, through choice as I can't stand any longer the BBC presenting team (watched Cowboys v Aliens instead). Most are a waste of taxpayers money (as is the Olympics IMO, when most of the UK infra is falling apart and we are filling The City's rich pockets with no regard to the poor in this country, we find £10 billion for a BBC fest!), and another tour of the Olympic park by mostly weather girls/boys, is just wearing.

Nice to hear that half the "British" team, couldn't be bothered tearing themselves away from the luxury of their Portuguese training camp to attend the opening ceremony, if Chris Hoy can (I'm sure he still managed to put in a few training sessions) surely a bunch of over rated and over pampered can.

As someone commented earlier, "now we know where all the NHS beds have gone", yes, cash in the pockets of the political and TV elite, to dupe the rest of the world and this country into thinking we have a perfect idealistic system. Personally dealing with an issue within that system, and it's failing miserably, as has past issues, this is another matter.

However I wish all the athletes and competitors well as they are the real stars, having trained for 4 long years just to compete, never mind win, good luck to them.

I have no plans to watch any of the Olympics, as I fundamentally disagree with the waste of money and privelage that is bestowed upon the IOC. Having seen an interview earlier in the week with the IOC's president claiming that the IOC were working class people, yes, being wafted from your pad in a 5 star Mayfair hotel in chauffeur driven limo in a dedicated lane on the roads I pay for, was the final straw, I want that type of "working class" lifestyle.

I do understand that my avoidance of the games will change nothing.

Back to the BBC fest, 22 HD channels!!! I never knew there were that many staff at the BBC, time for a cull in personnel and a cut in licence fee.

I do hope all those interested in the event enjoy it to the full, and I'm glad that it's brightening up the majority commenting on this page's life. Have fun, just not for me :)

I think you will find most of these athletes have been training all their life for this, not four years. Unfortunately your view G man is typical of how some of the more downtrodden media in this country like us to think about these sorts of event, very short term, which is the kind of thinking that has got the majority of this world into the state its in at the moment. Lets patch the problem not solve it.

Lets face facts, the numbers that you might read in the Daily Mail about 5 star hotels and the like is a pin prick in the GB economy, but the impression and power it brings to influence some very powerful people in the world of sport (and lets not forget, sport globally is worth as much as any financial institution) is money well spent.

There will be a massive influx of tourism and spending during the olympics which will maybe even cover the cost of the games itself.

But does it stop there? Of course not.

I thought the imagery of the industrial revolution was immensely powerful and was a good reminder to a world that lets be honest, is getting to see our country as a place of layabouts and lazy workers, but a reminder that we do work hard and this country is worth investing in. The next time GM, Ford, Toyota or the like sit down for a general meeting and discuss locations for new factories and investment, maybe just maybe, their view might be a bit different - but thats all it takes.

Personally, I cheered for it when we won the games, I cheered for it last night. Its a celebration that we can do something and do it well - watching one british thing after another was a great reminder that we do impact the world heavily for what is a small country in the grand scheme of things, Tim Berners-Lee at the end was a masterstroke. There are certain media in this country that want money to throw at stuff to make it work now, in proverbial terms its just a plaster over an ever seeping wound and in the long term will fall off and is wasted. This can be part of a bigger cure to help get this country back on its feet but unfortunately that sort of news doesn't sell papers and thus won't be a message many in this country will or maybe even want to hear. The macro economic impact on business of events such as this is not measurable in terms of the likes of hotel receipts, its the long term impact of foreign investment, but again, I doubt the Daily Mail has the capability to even measure it.

Anyway thats my piece on the matter and will enjoy our cyclists, rowers, athletes et al go out there and give it their best.

Sounds like it was a bit of a spectacle.

Missed the lot, through choice as I can't stand any longer the BBC presenting team (watched Cowboys v Aliens instead). Most are a waste of taxpayers money (as is the Olympics IMO, when most of the UK infra is falling apart and we are filling The City's rich pockets with no regard to the poor in this country, we find £10 billion for a BBC fest!), and another tour of the Olympic park by mostly weather girls/boys, is just wearing.

Yup, BBC commentary was annoying, but didn't ruin the spectacle. Trevor Nelson needs shooting though, as does Macca. Not 'Hey Jude' again, and certainly not when your voice is that shot. He's a legend, but he needs to move aside now.

Nice to hear that half the "British" team, couldn't be bothered tearing themselves away from the luxury of their Portuguese training camp to attend the opening ceremony, if Chris Hoy can (I'm sure he still managed to put in a few training sessions) surely a bunch of over rated and over pampered can.

They had no choice. They are told what to do by their bosses, so you've completely missed the point on that one.

As someone commented earlier, "now we know where all the NHS beds have gone", yes, cash in the pockets of the political and TV elite, to dupe the rest of the world and this country into thinking we have a perfect idealistic system. Personally dealing with an issue within that system, and it's failing miserably, as has past issues, this is another matter.

What? Are you that misguided to actually believe that? Do you really think we'd have been better off just cancelling the Olympics simply because the country is a bit skint right now? Do you think that would have done us any favours? Yes, money is needed in the NHS, but the huge advert for it in the ceremony last night will do more good for it than chucking another £10M at it will right now. The NHS needs reforming, whether the current method is right or wrong is another debate that's not for this thread.

I have no plans to watch any of the Olympics, as I fundamentally disagree with the waste of money and privelage that is bestowed upon the IOC. Having seen an interview earlier in the week with the IOC's president claiming that the IOC were working class people, yes, being wafted from your pad in a 5 star Mayfair hotel in chauffeur driven limo in a dedicated lane on the roads I pay for, was the final straw, I want that type of "working class" lifestyle.

Bad translation. He didn't mean working class in the way we do, he meant it as they're hard working. And they are, especially in an Olympic year. Not sure I'd want to be travelling all around the world having to schmooze everyone regardless of my own opinion for 12 hours a day when I get to 70.

Back to the BBC fest, 22 HD channels!!! I never knew there were that many staff at the BBC, time for a cull in personnel and a cut in licence fee.

24 channels actually, and they're syndicated to other TV networks around the world so will pay for themselves and then some. Personally I'd rather we used some of the technology available to make the games as viewable as possible to as many people as possible rather than just read about it in tomorrow's paper. The BBC have been significantly cut, it's why F1 has gone and why the website is now an unusable mess rather than the elegant design we used to have. Cutting doesn't always equal value for money, and £145 a year for everything the BBC gives us ad-free is peanuts. If you don't like it, don't pay the fee and just watch the catchup stuff.

Coldel put it well too, especially about the money that this will bring to the country not only now, but for the future. Boris Johnson is basically spending the next two weeks in meeting after meeting trying to convince countries and companies alike to invest in London and the UK as a whole. I guess he's a waste of money, too? Not referring to G Man now, but it's p*ssed me off something chronic already how the left-wing fringes have seized upon the games this early to try and turn it into a political stunt (seen the NHS ad on Twitter yet?), instead of just enjoying it for what it is. The right haven't been great either, forgetting the huge part that Tony Blair and Tessa Jowell had in gaining support for our vote seven years ago. Put all that crap aside for a fortnight, forget the political point scoring, and let's just celebrate how bloody good this country can be.

Nice to hear that half the "British" team, couldn't be bothered tearing themselves away from the luxury of their Portuguese training camp to attend the opening ceremony

Seriously, did you even think about that for half a second before you went into Daily Mail mode?

So the night before the performance which could give you the chance to win a medal at your home Olympics, probably the defining moment of your entire career, you'd be staying up until 2am to participate in an essentially decorative ceremony would you? I'm sure they wanted to be there, hell what athlete wouldn't want to walk into an Olympic stadium for there country, but when it's going to jeapordise your performance why would you risk it? And as has already been mentioned I'd bet their coaches wouldn't have let then even if they'd tried.

DB

Ive got some of the brazillian womens basketball team but dont think im allowed to put them up

Pm me them! Lol.

as long as they have cloths on you'll be fine :teeth:

.............eaten by large moths? :D

Detention for you :bangin::lol:

I took some pictures...

7661511920_b800e1bd0d_b.jpg

London Olympic Stadium. by Clwn, on Flickr

7661510248_0fc5272569_b.jpg

7661510584_f4f06968c4_b.jpg

7661509834_1d77f7b3e8_b.jpg