Considering a Z from an EP3

Type R

I just moved from an accord type r and have owned tonnes of fwd machines, with varying power including a 300bhp focus RS.

I have an HR model and love it.

Only had it a few months but to me feels special... Looks awesome. I appear to be the only one who thinks it is chuffing fast too. And with a milltek sounds exotic.

Not easy to hoon around in but is more grown up. I don't miss the pathetic torque of the Type r not the need to thrash it to get anywhere quickly.

I'd say go for it... And remember most car clubs reckon their marque is the fastest in the world. I know the ATR boys reckon a 350z isn't quick. I've only driven mine but can tell you, without doubt, it is a lot quicker and more effortless to drive fast.

Downside is one I actually welcome.... Makes you think more about car control and taking less risks.

• Like 1

I chose the Zed because I don't think I can sit in the S2000 for more than an hour. Age catching up :D

I test drove one a while ago and I've been in ones after this, I'm only 5ft10 and I thought it was hella cramped from a driver point of view... I don't mean...confined and sporty...I mean somewhere you wouldn't wanna spend a long time in lol.

I drove mine to the south of france and back again and i'm 5'10 i didn;t find it cramped at all, your legs are out in front of you your arm rests on the transmission tunnel and everything is at your finger tips. i kid you not, you don;t have to take your hands off the wheel its designed that you can hit everything but the radio while still holding the wheel. the speedo is designed so you can glance and know exactly what the cars speed and rev is. and with my hip i found it aolt more comfortable than the zed as the driving position is better. the zed used to set my hip off. its as close as driving in a race car cockpit while still being comfortable. because everything comes up high around you; when pushing hard it can sometimes feel like a single seat racer.

I love your posts and your banter AMT but i'm going to have to say wrong wrong wron g wrong wrong ....true :lol: but this is IMHO so you're not really wrong, just different perspective from me :wink:

Its just getting to basically..

Want a track toy that excites every moment ....hot hatch ....wrong... go RWD something like a caterham or elise

Want some fun but grown up comfort... buy some sort of GT sports car (like a Z)...wrong....you get a BMW or a MERC

Want a more focused car but not so fussed on 'luxuries'... buy something like an S2000... i have to disagree and say the quality of the interior materials in the S2000 was nicer than the zed more leather less plastic; but yes a few less gismos and gadgets

Want a four door rally muncher... this is not the place to be looking..lol :lol:....True

• 1 month later...

ha-ha Still haven't done a thing. I was going to wait a while any way for the car search proper, but with all the snow I just completely postponed it.

Yeah so still not driven a Z yet. Everything about the Z I like except comments like 'deceptively fast'. I do need a car to feel fast and get pushed in to seat. I'll let you know how it goes. One BIG thing the Z has going for it, is that it seems so much cheaper to buy and insure compared to say an M3, which whilst performs better, maybe isn't worth the cost.

Can't afford a 313. Just depends what's best value really in any 280 or 300 I find.

Edited by Type R

Expect to need deep deep pockets. The zed is hard to drive fast. I thought I could drive when I had front wheel drives but when you step up to the big boy cars with rwd its a totally different driving style. Also expect to always be in the fuel station and in buying tyres.

Whether its more fun or not, I know what i'd rather be in.

Skip to 50secs on the video and decide if it sounds boring. I couldnt drive a standard one but love mines and think its awesome fun.

th_SANY0013.jpg

Looks like Castle Combe

The zed is actually quiet a forgiving car to drive, as red cars go its a pretty safe option and a great car to learn in. Usually very forgiving in the breakaway. Compare it to some other red cars which can be very twitchy and snatch on the limit. With the zed the drivers talents normal fail before the cars talents.

http://www.cross-car...201246492453181

Thats 18 miles away. The 300 model, which I believe is the one with higher rev limit than 280? Could feasibly offer £8500. Not sure if that's a good price for that? Seems OK to me given mileage. Will a car at this mileage need a clutch any time soon or any major services etc?

I did think that the little slit lights on the front of these cars were usually orange in the 300 though. Any tell tale signs it's definitely a 300?

The ideal car would be: Black 300 model, GT pack, bought off an owners club member with a full SH. Maybe them light coloured seats with it.

Edited by Type R

ha-ha Still haven't done a thing. I was going to wait a while any way for the car search proper, but with all the snow I just completely postponed it.

Yeah so still not driven a Z yet. Everything about the Z I like except comments like 'deceptively fast'. I do need a car to feel fast and get pushed in to seat. I'll let you know how it goes. One BIG thing the Z has going for it, is that it seems so much cheaper to buy and insure compared to say an M3, which whilst performs better, maybe isn't worth the cost.

Can't afford a 313. Just depends what's best value really in any 280 or 300 I find.

Honestly mate this is just my opinion but test drive one but an m3 will be faster but it also FEELS faster. Same with an s2k it feels faster. The way the deliver power is alot more fizzy and dare I say involving? Don't get me wrong I love my Z to bits and I like the linearness now but its not for everyone.

http://www.cross-car...201246492453181

I did think that the little slit lights on the front of these cars were usually orange in the 300 though. Any tell tale signs it's definitely a 300?

They're aftermarket reflectors and you are correct, they are orange from the factory. That one is a 300, the easiest way to tell at a glance is by looking at the headlights, the 280's have an orange strip running down the side.

Pete

Job done. Can't fit in the car really. Unfortunate as, in that blue, it's one of the best looking cars i've ever seen or been in, in the flesh. Have to look at a Suburu next then I suppose.

Bit of a waste of 5 pages of topic, but good fun none the less haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know a couple of lads that dont fit actually, they arent giants but are big barn door types - surprising as I thought the Zed was pretty good on space but obviously not if you are a big feller.

Removable steering wheel is always an option though, and Im sure you can get lower seat rails if you are suffering on the headroom :)

Edited by docwra

I had a DC2 ITR a few years ago and have driven the EP3 CTR.

The CTR isn't really in the same league as the Zed or the ITR, its quick, capable and it's quite good fun, but it lacks character. I even chose my Clio 182 over it, despite the latter having crap build quality.

The Zed has loads of character, and torque, and I think it handles quite well, but to get proper thrills, you have to go much faster than you would in the Hondas IMO.

The DC2 was a brilliant car for B-road blasting, I reckon it was definitely more fun than the Zed and not much slower in a straight line below 100. It just really liked being grabbed by the neck and it did handle better but it made you drive like a ****, as it wasn't that special at normal speeds (although better than the CTR here) and as with all VTECs pretty highly strung. Much better than the CTR though IMO.

The Zed always feels good to drive so is more liable to be driven sensibly, but that said, it can certainly act the hooligan when you want and your licence will be in danger!

Having said that, the Type-Rs are cheaper to run by far. Wish I could afford to keep both.