Considering a Z from an EP3

Type R

I would think if I spent 7.5-8K on a 350z now, in 12 months, since I do about 6000 miles a year, it would certainly be sell able for at least 5k. So this means a maximum loss of 3.5K, which is acceptable. Main worry is spending all savings on a car so i can't move out in a year or two. However, i think actually thinking sensibly it should hold most of its value.

A 350 cruised past me in a queue yesterday at say 10mph and it sounded amazing.

• 5 months later...

Thought i'd pop back on this thread. I've been glancing over this forum for a while. Just about ready to sell my car I think with a possible suitor in the line. Going to drive a Z soon I think. Haven't done so yet, as to avoid impulse purchasing one! The internet paints a picture of the Z as brilliant, but heavy and unexciting in acceleration. But what ever other car I consider, I can't get the Z out of my head. Just one of them cars I need to try.

I think people who moan about performance, are just misguided based on the looks and engine capacity. When you look at comparable insurance (of which the Z is incredibly cheap) and the fact the Evo's and Scoobys need servicing every two metres, it makes more sense.

It's the modern super hatch backs that take away from the Z's performance advantage now too. However, they're just hatches, and personally I now have no interest in any except my current EP3.

The local Nissan dealer has a red Z, but no GT pack, no leather and therefore not really interested. May take a look for the seating position. Being tall and awkward fitting in cars, fingers crossed its fine. It would be better to buy a club members car in truth, keeping an eye on the sale section. Although, warranty might be nice!

vq35DE is the earlier version 276bhp

vq35HR is the late model (facelift) is the later 313bhp i think someone will confirm

Earlier models have a low tax i think but so did all the imports i think.

Not wanting to sound bias but you said in your ealier post a ep3 would keep up with a 350z think that might be down to drivers as at Snetterton300 when i did a track day there both ep3 there either had people who couldnt drive or there not that good, good but not that good :p

Also said about noise with a tewigwank intake you could say the type r is a puppy barking when its excited where as the Z is a wolf howling at the moon.

Black or blue I think. Need to work out what the crack is with the different engines though, pros and cons versus the tax and purchase hike!

3 engines

VQ35DE - 2003-2006. 276 bhp

VQ35DE (rev-up) - 2006. 296 bhp

VQ35HR - 2007-2009. 313bhp (easily recognisable as it has twin intakes)

Pre March 06 cars fit into lower tax bracket.

Black or blue I think. Need to work out what the crack is with the different engines though, pros and cons versus the tax and purchase hike!

3 engines

VQ35DE - 2003-2006. 276 bhp

VQ35DE (rev-up) - 2006. 296 bhp

VQ35HR - 2007-2009. 313bhp (easily recognisable as it has twin intakes)

Pre March 06 cars fit into lower tax bracket.

The HR is actually 309bhp rather than 313bhp. I think the 313 bit is 313hp. Loads of threads on here about the 313 and the difference between it and the older cars is night & day. It has a built in ram air system so you get more power at speed, 7500rpm rev limit, as well as loads of other modifications nissan did over the earlier cars. 80% of the engine is new, and they also did other mods like dropping the engine lower in the chasis to improve handling, and suspension mods etc...

However, as they were only around from mid 2007 until the 370z came out (same engine as the 313 but slightly bigger capacity) they are more expensive than the cheaper early 276bhp zeds. So, some people prefer to buy an older zed and mod it to bring it up to 300bhp.

I think there is a really awesome azure blue one in the for sale forum at the moment.... :teeth:

Just glanced over two pages and then skipped tbh, but seems to be about the handling and 'usuable' performance of the Z. I'm quite happy to admit I 'use' the Zed, theres no point in buying something like it and not having fun ..as long as your not stupid. Example....

Wet road, Focus ST decides to hound my backside, quiet industrial estate... so I think, ok I'll give you a bit to bite into... so I floor it down a straight, he chases, get to a roundabout, I'm done...I'm going to work. He goes round the roundabout in the wrong lane to get passed me and shoots up the road overtaking a few cars... Did I keep going? No... as people have said it takes a bit of skill and the Z shouldn't be taken likely in wet weather, I don't think I would have caught him as his FWD is not gonna slide about like a Z when your trying to take off in 2nd at power.

If you want to have the same kinda 'fun' like a FWD hot hatch, you won't get that in the Zed. That rampant, high reving mental state does not apply. Its more torque, power, sound and when driving you get rewards from smooth "skilled.." driving. You just let the rear glide round a wee corner and you control it well, there that was fun you kept it in check, you enjoyed it. etc etc... Z's not really a ...fire into a corner and chuck it kinda car. ]

God that was painful.... like basically advising the Z is not the car to buy lol!

Edited by AMT250

First thing i will say is that a lot of Zs, like many cars, are advertised at rip-off prices. They have dropped a lot in the past few years and people are reluctant to let their pride and joy go for less than they think it's worth.

The Z is not insanely fast, but it is deceptively fast because the power delivery is so smooth. This will be a big difference from your R.

I came from a highly modified golf GTi turbo with fully adjustable suspension and ARBs. it was not as light as a type R but it was set up very well so it was pointy and could be adjusted on the throttle. When i got back in it after being in the Z, it fealt a bit puny. Yes it had a big boost hit but the steering weight, gear change and pedal weights in the Z are so much more manly and satisfying.

The Z is not a car to be thrown about though, it is quite heavy. But the car has very nice neutral balance. a little bit of understeer on turn in and the rear comes into play at the exit. It will teach you a lot about controlling a cars weight transfer. it responds very well to trail-braking and the the first time you correct a little rear-wheel drive squirm as you exit a corner over a crest will be more satisfying than any FWD experience you have had before.

Similarly you cant hit the steering lock-stops in a second gear powerslide in FWD cars - but this isn't for everyone and not really to be advised on the roads :ban:

I have also taken the Z on track a few times and it performed very well. its not super stiff but with decent tyres ( MUST IN THE Z IN MY OPINION) and a dry track there were very little cars passsing me and i had great fun in it.

I've been a Z owner for 2 years. It is fun and rewarding to drive but also a great car to live with every day - apart from maybe fuel economy. This does mean that it's suspension as a little soft though and on quick direction changes you can feel it leaning over a bit.

I have a work van now so i don't have to commute and for the past 6 months or so i have been looking around at other cars that are a bit sharper and edgier. I'm going to test drive an S2000 soon but i have a feeling that i will just end up getting some decent coilovers or springs on the Z.

• Like 1

zeds biggest enemy is its weight; crumb if your looking for a track toy the S2000 is a good option if a little lacking in the torque factor.but its swings and roundabouts with these cars, you have to sacrifice something to gain in other areas.

as for the op and the difference between the 3 models, with regards to speed, they are much of a muchness. on a track they'll all finish about the same time. with not alot between them. biggest difference is the quality of drive. think of the early zed as the raw unrefined starting point, and the following models more refined and smoother versions as they progress.

General consensus is s2k great when driving hard. Real sports car, light, convertible and a revvy engine. Can be tiring if not on it due to relative lack of torque down low although I don't think they are that bad tbh.

350z heavy gt car. Not that fast and probably won't handle as well due to weight. Plus points are it rewards you for driving it well, roomy cabin, mile muncher and in day to day driving you don't need to take it above 2krpm due fo torque. It's not going to be as fun if you push to 10/10s and the engine isn't as exciting as the s2k.

Just throwing it out there. For a decent budget you can get e46 m3, z3 M, boxster s, 200sx or rx8?

General consensus is s2k great when driving hard. Real sports car, light, convertible and a revvy engine. Can be tiring if not on it due to relative lack of torque down low although I don't think they are that bad tbh.

350z heavy gt car. Not that fast and probably won't handle as well due to weight. Plus points are it rewards you for driving it well, roomy cabin, mile muncher and in day to day driving you don't need to take it above 2krpm due fo torque. It's not going to be as fun if you push to 10/10s and the engine isn't as exciting as the s2k.

Couldn't have put it better myself, perfectly summed up :thumbs:

I had an EP3 before and love it. I love the high revving K20 engine and it is very easily to drive. It is different sort of fun comparing to the Zed. The Zed is a car for grown up I felt i.e. you are not going to carry all your mates around town in it.

It is not difficult to adjust because it is a nicely balanced car. The Civic needs a bit of steering adjustment mid corner as it is FWD but the Zed will just glide on the same corner if doing the same speed. It does feel less dramatic sometimes because the car is heavier and you are wrapped around it in with the long bonnet and lower driving position.

I was thinking about getting my first S2000 or my second Zed. I chose the Zed because I don't think I can sit in the S2000 for more than an hour. Age catching up :D

I chose the Zed because I don't think I can sit in the S2000 for more than an hour. Age catching up :D

I test drove one a while ago and I've been in ones after this, I'm only 5ft10 and I thought it was hella cramped from a driver point of view... I don't mean...confined and sporty...I mean somewhere you wouldn't wanna spend a long time in lol.

Its just getting to basically..

Want a track toy that excites every moment ....hot hatch

Want some fun but grown up comfort... buy some sort of GT sports car (like a Z)

Want a more focused car but not so fussed on 'luxuries'... buy something like an S2000

Want a four door rally muncher... this is not the place to be looking..lol :lol:

Good luck with whatever you buy but I suggest (unlike quite a lot of folk these days) have a GOOD LONG TEST DRIVE. :thumbs:

My heads a shed. I want a Z I think but reading the internet gives very mixed impressions. Reading too much is bad for you about cars I'm sure. Going to look at a Z at the weekend at the local Nissan dealer. It's the wrong spec all together, but this is just to take a look in the flesh, check the seating position, maybe take it out if they don't mind. £8300 on 38,000 miles though, not too bad. Just no GT pack, no leather, no rays alloys. Seem to think I have to buy a hardened stiff focused car otherwise i'm pussying out but some comfort would be nice. See how it feels.

It's a shame M3's arn't cheaper to buy and maintain.

Thanks for the replies above by the way, read them all, but would take forever to quote them all.

It's a shame M3's arn't cheaper to buy and maintain.

....but an M3 doesn't look special remember! I see them driving by all the time, besides a bit of arch n' 4 exhausts,you're driving about in a 3someting coupe to most of the general public...

Zeds get looks, whether you want them or not :lol:

PS. Always get a GT pack, and don't say to them you just want a run to see what a Z's like, just ask for a test drive n' see how you feel about it. Then bugger off and buy one you want if you like it. Hope you do! :)

Edited by AMT250