Fuel economy is debating my decision

Mxandy23

Had my car 9 months. I've done 8000 miles since then and averaged 24.1 overall. But it's 24.1 with a HUGE grin on my face. :teeth:

If it makes any difference to you I moved from a wrx ipreza which did 28.4mpg, over a year it costs about an extra £420 quid in petrol. That's about £8 a week.

TBH tho It's not how I'd decide which car to buy.

Good luck

R

I get between 15-20 in town.

Motorway 24-29. I used to get over 30mpg but lasted about a week before I realised what the Zed does after 3,000 rpm.

Technically the Zed is far from a daily driver unless you're prepared to foot the costs. But I live driving my car daily so put up with the cost.

To be honest it's money very well spent because every day I have a smile on my face rain or shine.

If I don't drive her for a week I get anxious to drive her again and as soon as you park your ass on the leather and start her up you feel like you're home again.

Motorway 24-29. I used to get over 30mpg but lasted about a week before I realised what the Zed does after 3,000 rpm.

Technically the Zed is far from a daily driver unless you're prepared to foot the costs. But I live driving my car daily so put up with the cost.

To be honest it's money very well spent because every day I have a smile on my face rain or shine.

If I don't drive her for a week I get anxious to drive her again and as soon as you park your ass on the leather and start her up you feel like you're home again.

+1 mines daily driver too and foot the costs which is why i have no furniture :lol::lol: flat full of Z parts though :thumbs:

big +1 on this

My 350z (2004) will do 36 mpg on a motorway run (up to yorkshire @ 70-75mph) and I can easily average 30-32 with average driving. If you are driving the car with a heavy right foot, 25-26 mpg average on a tank is what I get. I've never seen below 25 on an average. This equates to around 360 miles to £75 of Tesco 99 (138p/ litre). Mine is 100% a daily driver and I wouldn't say it cost me much more than my 306 rallye to run. I absolutely love driving the thing and I think if I didn't have to fill it up or work, I probably would never get out of it! (Not sure the fiancee would be happy but it does have a passenger seat....)

It really is very good for the mpg for what it is. Mostly as there's so much torque, you're not revving the engine like you would a hot hatch.

To be fair though, I wouldn't recommend the car as a 'city' car as it's not intended for that, hatches/ hot hatches are always better there anyway.

According to parkers, who in my opinion always give the most accurate info the Corsa VXR averages 35mpg.

I would say most definately the Z will be worse economically.

Over the past 3 weeks of mixed driving i am averaging 29-30mpg.

Note that any quoted, or 'book' values will always be very different to the real world. It also depends how you drive a particular car. Forums and listening to owners is always best IMHO.

At the moment i do a 30mile round trip to work and spend about £70 a week on fuel (tesco momentum). If you drive like a grandma maybe but thats not really the point of the car. Also tyres/ servicing will cost more than the vx. The smiles per mile are immesurable tho :teeth:

Yes the day to day parts running costs will be massive in comparison to the Corsa. For example a pair of brake discs are at least £200 for a Corsa your talking 25% of that.

Fuel is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

A clutch change will cost you £1000

Tyres £500-£1000

Exhaust £600-£2000

Yes the day to day parts running costs will be massive in comparison to the Corsa. For example a pair of brake discs are at least £200 for a Corsa your talking 25% of that.

Fuel is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

A clutch change will cost you £1000

Tyres £500-£1000

Exhaust £600-£2000

Discs for 200 quid lol :shrug: even shitty ebc discs are more expensive than that lol. Dba's are around 350 upwards a set except when zmanalex has them on a special.

Just about to fit PF rotors to mines and they're alot more expensive but so sexy.

If your 20 mile e/w commute is 95% dual carriageway you should be getting about the same fuel mileage as you are currently in the VXR, but I suspect you may have a pretty heavy foot which is why you're only getting 27.9 in the Corsa.

I live 1.3 miles from my work and unless it's the weekend and good weather, the furthest i'd usually be driving is about 5 miles to/from the girlfriends house and I average about 22-25mpg, had her at just under 30mpg on the last long run.

So it probably will cost you a bit more in fuel, as it should being a car weighing quite a bit more and an engine capable of eating your 1600, but it's ooohhhh so worth the few pennies every mile :drive1

Here's my Average MPG and Speed since the computer was last reset at 7,426 miles ago. I'm pretty light with my right foot, but bear in mind I've done 3 Wales meets(5 drives out) and 2 West Midlands meets. My mileage is a good mix of rural, motorway and town driving.

P1015134.jpg

P1015135.jpg

Pete

Either you need how to learn how to drive without the pedal to the floor constantly, or buy a derv if you're that worried about fuel.

What? That's stupid. A 911 has more power yet is still better on fuel. Of your cruising on the dual carriageway would you not want to get 40mpg rather than 20mpg?

Don't service you car it will improve mpg and it your worried about fuel why would you do that? Also drove around with deflated tyres as that will reduce mpg. Keep your car at 5krpm too after all of your worried about mpg…

How many miles do you do a year roughly? The 350z is an affordable sports car not a ferrari.

What? That's stupid. A 911 has more power yet is still better on fuel. Of your cruising on the dual carriageway would you not want to get 40mpg rather than 20mpg?

Don't service you car it will improve mpg and it your worried about fuel why would you do that? Also drove around with deflated tyres as that will reduce mpg. Keep your car at 5krpm too after all of your worried about mpg…

How many miles do you do a year roughly? The 350z is an affordable sports car not a ferrari.

My guess is if he can only get 29mpg out of a corsa vxr, it must be pretty much constntly on boost.

You drive any car but a derv like that, there's no way you'll get good mpg.

My guess is if he can only get 29mpg out of a corsa vxr, it must be pretty much constntly on boost.

You drive any car but a derv like that, there's no way you'll get good mpg.

Not really I've heard they aren't great on fuel.

Not really I've heard they aren't great on fuel.

I doubt they're that bad. Like 36mpg combined apparently and this is mainly dual carriageways, which at extra urban is closer to 50mpg.

It's easy to get 24-25mpg in the zed and not so hard to get 35mpg either.

At the end of the day it all depends what roads you are driving on, how much congestion you hit, how you drive etc.

When I had a 15 mile commute to work all A roads I used to get 26 mpg now I do 3 miles on uncongested B roads and get 21.5.

If I nailed it everywhere I'd get 8mpg like I did at oulton park