Fuel economy is debating my decision

Mxandy23

Hi again guys need your advice urgently.

I have a corsa vxr ATM running on momentum 99 on average with it 27.9 mpg for a 1.6 turbo car is not good, in average I fill up every week 40quid and that lasts me around 4/5days sometimes a week depending if I go out with friends at night, doing 20 miles each way to work (so 40 all together) and it is about 95% on a dual carriage way, would I be able to do this exactly the same in the 350z around 2004 to 2006 mark as looking at the preface lift. I did find out that the z has a 20gallon tank (80 litres) and the corsa 9.9 gallons (45 litres)

Many thanks for your help in advanced and sorry I didn't used the search button as sure there lots of topics but just found it easier if I ask here

Also to mods sorry if this is in the wrong location

Many thanks

Andy

I personally would say 35mpg is unlikely but 27-30mpg is possible. I personally can't see a tank of a car with a 3.5 will be better than a 1.6t hot hatch but you have a Vxr I don't. My 172 averages between 35-41mpg.

Is that what the computer is saying mpg wise or fill up and miles?

I average about 22 mpg. I've never seen anything near 30, even on a long run. As others have said, I doubt a 3.5 is going to be more efficient than a 1.6. I presume you didn't buy the VXR for it's economy, so does a few less mpg really matter?

The difference between 22 mpg and 28 mpg is only about 6p per mile (Assuming super unleaded is £1.43). I would estimate that your 40 mile trip will cost about £2.40 extra per day based on my average compared to yours.

PS. If you're debating fuel costs then maybe this car isn't for you??? I know when I bought my car, I was getting ~20mpg on average. Some times I got 15mpg. Going up to a car like this, you can't help but give it some. The sound (dependent on exhaust) is awesome. Only after a few months, did I settle down to mainly normal driving. That gets me ~25mpg. Most I have ever got was 29.56mpg and that was the day after I bought her as I had to go to Wales and was so nervous, that I took it slow until I had figured out a bit more about her.

Low 20's combined driving. Low mid 30's on a good run.

Worry about fuel economy then this is simply not the car for you......it will ruin the experience.

Just accept your going to be raped for 100 quid a tank and that tank is going to last all of 5 minutes

The VXR is 1.6ltr so it is half the capacity of a Zed so that will always make the car more economical but once the turbo kicks in it will produce a good amount of BHP.

On a turbo car when your cursing along the car running off of boost so the car will always be using less fuel.

The 350Z runs in closed loop fuel control for a lot of time so we cant lean the car off any more , The variable cam control is mapped so when the car is on small openings it is a position that makes the car as economical as possible.

We can remap the throttle to make the car less responsive at small throttle openings so it will use less fuel but I know you give the car more throttle to get going so your use more fuel in the end.

20/23mph on a combined run isnt bad for a 3.5ltr motor TBH.

I think if you are that worried about fuel economy then look elsewhere.

If you are pinching the pennies when it comes to fuel (approx another £20 max a week from your usage) then it is going to hurt when you have to replace tyres/pads/discs etc. You will have higher running costs than a hatchback.

According to parkers, who in my opinion always give the most accurate info the Corsa VXR averages 35mpg.

I would say most definately the Z will be worse economically.

Over the past 3 weeks of mixed driving i am averaging 29-30mpg.