2005 Nissan 350Z convertible Supercharger and +

Jamesben66

Lol dblock, this is the points I'm making. Alex has a very intelligent suspension set up to put the power down along with that huge wing. Also the biggest factor is the driver and Alex is one awesome driver. I imagine me behind the wheel of that tt zed would end in a cloud of smoke and a barrier impaled in the bodywork :lol:

having made a jump from 276 to nearly 400 bhp i've not found it that different. nothing to do with my driving, just that i think sometimes there is this idea that the more bhp you have the deadlier the car becomes.

yes there is noticably more power, but it hasn't become more of a handful if that makes sense. you adjust fairly quickly to the new power etc.

i'm sure neil and anders and keyser and some of the other SC or TT boys know what i mean. :shrug:

i think with alexs TT setup his tyres make a big difference with the 888's the suspension and the brakes are all at the standard required to match the power.

having made a jump from 276 to nearly 400 bhp i've not found it that different. nothing to do with my driving, just that i think sometimes there is this idea that the more bhp you have the deadlier the car becomes.

yes there is noticably more power, but it hasn't become more of a handful if that makes sense. you adjust fairly quickly to the new power etc.

i'm sure neil and anders and keyser and some of the other SC or TT boys know what i mean. :shrug:

i think with alexs TT setup his tyres make a big difference with the 888's the suspension and the brakes are all at the standard required to match the power.

But you went to a car which is slighlty heavier plus it was designed to take 400bhp. Also you feel it alot less in luxobarges, mercs, bmws and the likes. I've been in a 4.2 and it takes the edge of the silly speeds;.

Imagine nearly doubling your power in your 350 it would be different i'd imagine.

Especially with a TT about 2-2.5k rpm your going to get a massive spike of power and most likely wheel spin.

So buy a HR and boost it or buy something faster. :thumbs:

^^

agree with above but the SC is alot more linear, i think your right with the TT having that surge would make abigger difference.

weight wise i'm only 100kg heavier than the zed. but the shear size does take the edge off the speed.

agreed as stock i'm better set up for it as it has giant 6 pot brembos 355mm discs 20inch bbs wheels with 285 rubber on them.

with that in mind what neil said is bang on any car being boosted needs other aspects bringing up to standard to match it. so better suspension and brakes is a must.

Just as a guide, I reckon mine would do 60 in circa 5 seconds, maybe a tad under if it were driven properly.

This video was done when I had 382 hub hp (about 420 hp) and in full daily drive trim ie boot full of crap full fuel tank etc.... This was taken more as a sound comparison vid so wasn't concentrating on a fast get away- note a fair bit of wheel spin and a lazy 1st to 2nd gear change.

I just timed it, and from standstill it's bang on 6 seconds to hitting the rev limit in 2nd ( which I think is 6850rpm, I'll have to check with mark at abbey) which equates to about 65 mph and 10 secs to 92mph (rev limit in 3rd) and this was not a particularly good pull away.

So now I have 402 hub hp (442hp) I would think under 5 secs to 60 is do-able with a good gear change, little wheelspin and a bit of practice.

My supercharger never felt that fast. I found it quite boring :blush:

The GTR though, thats much faster :teeth:

Turbos always feel faster then SC'd due to the sudden high torque. My Twin Turbo Supra felt faster than my Zed but I'd bet money on it being the other way round.

Turbos always feel faster then SC'd due to the sudden high torque. My Twin Turbo Supra felt faster than my Zed but I'd bet money on it being the other way round.

Without doubt. I think my biggest issue was with how late my S/C hit full boost, I didn't get the full benefit of it until I was revving over 5K & TBH how often are you really driving over 5K RPM on a daily basis?

My GTR kicks in around 2800 which is perfect - I've always said that if I didn't bottle the TT install on my Z that I would still have it now :(

I think id definitely be looking at a HR roadster like mine if your going to start turbo`ing it or s/c`ing it.

As stock, the quoted figure for the HR roadster 0-60 is around 5.7 seconds, so your`ll be looking to shave another second off that. How much extra power over the standard 309bhp you`ll need i dunno. On my Renault 5 GT Turbo, doubling the power of it knocked about 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 - down from 7 seconds to about 5.5 seconds.

The other alternative to adding more power is lightening the car. According to the specs, the roadster weighs 100kg more than the coupe, but with the roadster im not sure how your`d even go about chopping weight out of it. They have alloy bonnets, alloy suspension. The folding hood where the roof goes is plastic and even the boot lid feels like its plastic. The prop shaft is carbon fibre and there's literally hardly anything metal above the floor pan apart from the engine (and even that is mounted lower than the older models to improve the center of gravity even more). If your got the rays wheels like mine, they save 4kg per corner already over the standard wheels.

If you want a quick car, i think you`d be better off buying something like a scooby. They are very cheap now and you can get serious power from them for not much money if you are handy with the spanners.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here, he already owns a 2005 roadster, I don't think telling him to get a 2007 or a different car helps much. :shrug:

Op - In answer to your actual question, your goals are possible but will cost you a fair bit. You will probably need around 450 ish hp and probably loose a bit of weight good clutch, flywheel and tyres.

Vortech supercharger would do the trick with supporting mods (see my garage for list) you may need to use the smaller 3.12 or 2.87 pulley but then you'll be increasing the chance of over stressing the engine.

Tuning the 350 isn't cheap though so it will cost you at least 10 k .

I think a lot of people are missing the point here, he already owns a 2005 roadster, I don't think telling him to get a 2007 or a different car helps much. :shrug:

I think where people are coming from is that rather than the OP start spending 10k or more on his car only to find out the engine cant take it, or requires more expense to make stronger, its better to start with an engine which can.

I think most people are agreeing through that it would take serious money and he`d be better off buying a different car if he wants something that fast.

Sell it and get a TVR. Job's a carrot.

Seriously though, unless you have deep pockets and/or the will to do it all by yourself as a project (which is immensely rewarding), then there's much easier and cheaper ways of getting the 0-60 dash down to 4.5 secs.

Thats the thing with tuning an N/A, you get so little for your money.....my old Nissan Pulsar GTIR was timed for a Banzai magazine cover feature in about 2001/2002 and with the boost wound up to a mere 14psi and an uprated clutch i hit 60 in 4.45 seconds and 100 in 11.73....cracking little cars!

Seriously though, unless you have deep pockets and/or the will to do it all by yourself as a project (which is immensely rewarding), then there's much easier and cheaper ways of getting the 0-60 dash down to 4.5 secs.

Evo X would be the best bet.

£22k for 0-60 4.4 secs.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3936619.htm

Evo X would be the best bet.

£22k for 0-60 4.4 secs.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3936619.htm

`kin ell, thats less money than the relatively boring bmw 123d I looked at last week.

Im amazed that in three pages no-one has suggested the most obvious way to improve acceleration :shrug:

Fit a shorter 1.5/2/3 way (welded diff) and youd be amazed. I reckon a 313 350Z with a short diff, drag tyres, some weight removed and uprev, breathing mods etc. should just about crack 13 seconds for a quarter mile. Getting a flat 12 would need forced induction though, I dont think you would manage that otherwise.

0-60 times are total bullshit frankly, Im surprised that apparent car enthusiasts use it as a yardstick. Theres at least 35% variation depending on the launch anyway, 0-100 or standing Q are a much better indicator of acceleration IMO. :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

[this is my first post and as English is not my mothertongue, there might be some wrongly used expression what I apologize for already in advance]

In Switzerland (that where I live and come from), there is only one manufacturer for SCs in the 350z: www.novidem.ch

When I bought my first 350z in Jan 2006, a SC from novidem was already installed including an air intercooler. This added 100 hp to the 280 OEM which was already pretty good.

Very soon, I found out, that more power is nice, but the brakes should be improved as well to be able to stop the car not only accelerate ;)

I have put in a K-Sport 8 pistons on the front where I did not change the brakes on the rear axle. These K-Spors are really very impressive and I am still happy with them.

After some more modifications (as KW3, cage,...) I decided in 2010 to buy the update (approx 25'000 Pounds!) to have then another 100 hp. It is still the same SC but with a little bit more pressure and some changed parts inside the motor and the along as well (Nismo clutch,...)

The SC has only had a damage on the ball bearing but all the other time, the SC system worked fine and stable. AND: the acceleration is pretty impressive.

So even when the price is/was high, I am happy I took this decision; there is a small switch beside the gear box where to turn the SC on/off. In the off-mode, it's has only approx 180 hp due to air blocks, but is still ok to drive in the daily traffic in a fuel saving mode...

Hermann

[this is my first post and as English is not my mothertongue, there might be some wrongly used expression what I apologize for already in advance]

In Switzerland (that where I live and come from), there is only one manufacturer for SCs in the 350z: www.novidem.ch

When I bought my first 350z in Jan 2006, a SC from novidem was already installed including an air intercooler. This added 100 hp to the 280 OEM which was already pretty good.

Very soon, I found out, that more power is nice, but the brakes should be improved as well to be able to stop the car not only accelerate ;)

I have put in a K-Sport 8 pistons on the front where I did not change the brakes on the rear axle. These K-Spors are really very impressive and I am still happy with them.

After some more modifications (as KW3, cage,...) I decided in 2010 to buy the update (approx 25'000 Pounds!) to have then another 100 hp. It is still the same SC but with a little bit more pressure and some changed parts inside the motor and the along as well (Nismo clutch,...)

The SC has only had a damage on the ball bearing but all the other time, the SC system worked fine and stable. AND: the acceleration is pretty impressive.

So even when the price is/was high, I am happy I took this decision; there is a small switch beside the gear box where to turn the SC on/off. In the off-mode, it's has only approx 180 hp due to air blocks, but is still ok to drive in the daily traffic in a fuel saving mode...

Hermann

:welcome: Hermann

post up a welcome thread with some pictures of your Zed

Random place to post, but nice to hear about a novidem system. I have an old magazine review about a UK press car which had it fitted and it seemed really cool with the on off switch. Must be a shock when it only has 180hp when off. More info and pics would be nice. . . . In a new thread maybe lol.