2005 Nissan 350Z convertible Supercharger and +

Jamesben66

Hey guys so I'm new to this forum but I'm also just recently a 2005 Nissan 350Z convertible owner. Truth is that I have plenty of plans for this car but I was looking for some help/advice.

My plan is to supercharge this car, and I know there are a few kits already available for it.

Would anyone have any advise or suggestions as to which one I should go with or other tuning ideas i should look into for this car.

Ideally I would like to one day get my 350 to do 0-60 in 4-4.5 seconds with a 1/4 mile time of under 12.

This all may sound very rookie, and please note im no mechanic.

Just looking for some friendly suggestions.

Thanks guys.

If I were you I'd do a lot of reading before dedicating to this sort of modding. Superchargers have limits, keyser is exploring them at the moment and not very cheaply I may add.

Twin turbos and a full engine build with forged block, internals, bottom end etc will be required to make big power and fast times

You want to talk to zmanalex after what he did to his roadster :cloud9:

not many people have that deep a set of pockets though lol

I expect for what alex has in his engine you could buy a 3 bedroom detached house where I live :scare:

:lol::lol: Beat me to it Neil :)

I expect for what alex has in his engine you could buy a 3 bedroom detached house where I live :scare:

Lol fair point

you can get around 400whp+ from a supercharger and if you striped everything out the car you may get 4.5ish 0-60 if you are a drag veteran and have uprated clutch etc to cope with it all. but it wont come cheap!

I'm thinking its going to cost me at least 5.5K to install a vortech myself so if you have no mechanical know how and none of the additional mods most supercharged 400whp cars have before they even do the install I would double my figure.

But do some research as there are 2 or 3 build threads that are easy to find on here to give you pointers.

Ohh and :welcome:

I suggest you buy an aircraft carrier and use the launch ram - that should get you a good 0-60 time and will probably cost less!!!!!

:lol:

Seriously though, I've got a forged engine (being rebuild after the first one died on the dyno) water meth injection and hope to get close to the figures you're looking for.

Add to that another £10K in supporting mods and you get an idea of what its gonna cost - you can go faster cheaper!

So as others have said do plenty of research and be very sure it's a 350z you want to tune.

If it's not - I don't blame you!

If it is I wish you every success and look forwards to a build thread :thumbs:

O and :welcome: to the forum.

Welcome buddy

I sell the Vortech and Stillen supercharges but can get pretty much anything.

Working on a full SC kit at the moment, all the trimmings

Supercharger

Fuel return system

Radiator

Thermostat

Fuel pump

Oil pan

600cc injectors

As said, that lot depending on what brands you choose is £4.5 -£5k

Then someone has to install and map :bounce:

After a stint with a lot of overtime at the start of this year i had a few grand in the bank and considered going down the supercharger route. After looking into it i decided that i didn't have nearly enough to do a propper SC conversion, even with a used supercharger kit.

Spent the money on the best new tyres available, uporated brakes and i'm looking into some suspension and plan on spending the summer doing some more track days. So far i stand by my decision.

You either need VERY deep pockets and get a reputable tuner to do everything for you, or moderately deep pockets, a full tool kit and some mechanical know-how. but if you think you can do it, by all means go ahead. you will be the envy of a lot of members on here, including myself.

I'll be suprised if a supercharged car will do 0-60 in 4.5 except keysers.

If you go big power remember you need to stop and also good suspension set up to put the power down. So add another few grand for brakes and a couple for suspension.

I'll be suprised if a supercharged car will do 0-60 in 4.5 except keysers.

If you go big power remember you need to stop and also good suspension set up to put the power down. So add another few grand for brakes and a couple for suspension.

This lowish powered car looks to do it in 5sec (stopwatches at the ready :surrender: )

So I think you are underestimating Keysers :stir:

4 years of uni and college doing physics equations was enough for me mate, now my brain is only used for :drive1 and finding the nearest pub (nether im good at :lol: )

Hahaha get it done!!! Do the calcs lol, I thought you were a number boffin lol

I'm afraid I broke my calculator/computer "Deep Thought" and will get back to you on this, as 43 seems a bit too slow :lol:

also I'm day shift :yawn: too many variables to calculate while tired!

(might just build my SC 350Z to find out and save me the hassle of thinking :bang: )

Shaving a second requires more power than you think though. Are you not a numbers guy lol, I'm sure somebody to do the calcs for this about weight and acceleration

Well, a quick calculation, about 390bhp to knock a second off the 0-60 mark on a coupe, probably another 10-15bhp on a roadster. Not sure if the standard internals will take that though :shrug:

Pete

Then you need good suspension to put it down and grip also lol

It's an endless list. 400hp has been proven safe on a de engine, especially the rev up, Darren's car made awesome power also with the charger.

Saying that, 4.5 secs is lambo territory which in a real world would be very hard to achieve with a fully weighted cabrio. The hr engine will do it much easier I reckon as the twin chargers are producing alot more power.

Most cars on the street can be beat by 7 sec 0-60 (cars like bmw, eclipse gt, hundai tiburon, celica gts, and mustang v6 will do 7sec).

When you go to 6 sec those are some real sporty cars (subaru wrx, mustang gt, porcshe boxter, bmw z4, 2011 honda prelude, and most other v8 4 door sadans will be just as fast)

When you go down to 5 sec now you're pushing it to real speed ... most police crusers only do 0-60 in 6 seconds so this is faster than cops (subaru wrx sti, lancer evolution VIII, Corvette, Camaro z28, pontiac crossfire, 2010 camaro, 2011 mustang)

When you go down to 4 sec and under now its world class sports cars (corvette Zo6-zr1, porsche gt, ferrari, lamborghini, bughatti vyron, 2010 mustang cobra)

from a google search thought it was quiet apt.

if it helps my XKR apparently is capable of

2001 Jaguar XKR 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter Mile 13.0

thats 4 litre V8 and a super charger on top and not alot more weight than the Zed, so if you wanted to push the zed down to the 4.5 sec then you'll need more than 400bhp i qould think the zed would need between 450-500 bhp for the 4.5 sec 0-60. depends in the torque provided etc.

once keyser is up and running just liek anders both will have zeds that would probably do about a 4.6 maybe less. you'd need to speak to them.

In order to get sub 12 secs and a 4.5 second 0-60 youd need to be looking above 500bhp on a zed. My impreza was a sub 4 second sub 12second car but was over 200kg less in weight. You'd need to shed that sort of wieght and FI the car to around the 400 mark. If a drag car is what you are after buy a decent R32 GTR. :teeth:

• Like 1