Real life MPG

Mikesding

The last few thousand miles have seen 28.5mpg. That's mostly motorway with 40% 'outside lane' driving, 40% flowing traffic and 20% around town.

Not bad for the engine size and power :thumbs:

Careful mostly motorway driving can see over 30mpg. Not much fun though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reset mine after having it for four months, it was reading 23 (ish) when I reset it - mainly driving through town with the odd a/b road run. It was rest about 100 odd miles ago and it's currently reading... 23. Again. This being a 5 mile stop=start type drive into work and 15 mile A road drive home.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I probably average about 23 mpg.

if we're going to play the 'highest mpg figure' game, thats an easy one - i reset at the top of 4 mile downhill section, and coasted with the car in neutral all the way down - trip computer said 99.9 mpg for a good few minutes :lol: shame the display only has 'xx.x' format, would have been hilarious to get a pic with the speedo saying 60mph and the mpg reading 140mpg or something ludicrous :lol:

if we're going to play the 'highest mpg figure' game, thats an easy one - i reset at the top of 4 mile downhill section, and coasted with the car in neutral all the way down - trip computer said 99.9 mpg for a good few minutes :lol: shame the display only has 'xx.x' format, would have been hilarious to get a pic with the speedo saying 60mph and the mpg reading 140mpg or something ludicrous :lol:

Imagine if you'd just filled it up to the brim, your DTE would have been over 1,000 miles :lol: . The highest I've ever seen is 396 when I filled it up to the top a few weeks ago.

Pete

Filled to the throat with BP 97, reset the computer and about 10 miles later was reading 48mpg, was hoping for over 50 to get a photo op :)

But as others have said. You can get 30-35 on motorway which is fine, but if like me most of your driving is stop start or low speed limits, you'll be hanging in the low 20's. I average just over 22 with the odd squirt of the throttle out the roundabouts.

I think that we are all agreed that you don't buy this type of car based upon its fuel consumption for for those of us who use it as their daily driver and cover a reasonable number of miles the ridicilous cost of fuel in this country does tend to make you think about it. If you just poodle around town for a few miles at a time then 20 mpg isn't much of a problem but for a 60 mile daily commute that doesn't involve motorway cruising it starts to make your wallet scream.

During the 3 years that I've had her the fuel consumption has been pretty constant around 26-27 mpg. Seems to drop a bit when really cold in Winter and gets a bit better in the middle of Summer. Never quite understood why?

But had my first ever £100 fill up a couple of days ago :surrender: so after recovering from the shock I thought that I'd adopt a more relaxed driving style for a few days, helped by the really crappy local weather :snorkel: . Last two days covered 120 miles with an indicated 33.4 mpg. Seriously doubt I'll keep it up though :drive1

I think that we are all agreed that you don't buy this type of car based upon its fuel consumption for for those of us who use it as their daily driver and cover a reasonable number of miles the ridicilous cost of fuel in this country does tend to make you think about it. If you just poodle around town for a few miles at a time then 20 mpg isn't much of a problem but for a 60 mile daily commute that doesn't involve motorway cruising it starts to make your wallet scream.

During the 3 years that I've had her the fuel consumption has been pretty constant around 26-27 mpg. Seems to drop a bit when really cold in Winter and gets a bit better in the middle of Summer. Never quite understood why?

But had my first ever £100 fill up a couple of days ago :surrender: so after recovering from the shock I thought that I'd adopt a more relaxed driving style for a few days, helped by the really crappy local weather :snorkel: . Last two days covered 120 miles with an indicated 33.4 mpg. Seriously doubt I'll keep it up though :drive1

Engine is colder for longer, so ECU throws in more fuel. Also you are using the lights/heater more. As you say its only a small percentage change but is noticeable.