Oh no, I've got a mouse in my house

twobears

For the past couple of weeks I've been hearing little scratching noises when I've been in the study. No-one else has ever heard them and they managed to convince me that I was imagining it but today I found evidence. There was a handbag on the floor which I picked up today to take to the yard and I found a chewed cereal bar and a packet of paracetamol with all the tablets out of the foil :scare:

I've been to B & Q to get a humane trap so that I can catch it and release it, hopefully. That's its first lucky break, me being a softie. I guess its second lucky break is that it won't suffer from headaches for a while since it ate all those paracetamol :shrug:

The B&Q cheapo humane traps are rarely very effctive I'm afraid.

I've worked on a ship that was infested, and we tried everything. Best we found was a typical mouse trap with a bit of mars bar as bait.

That wouldn't work because it was one of my cats that introduced it to the house in the first place :headhurt: This particular cat normally brings me voles for breakfast (is it wrong that I thank her and tell her I'll eat them later :blush: before disposing of them) but sometimes she brings in a live woodmouse which escapes her clutches and she then loses interest and asks me to open a tin of cat food instead. I've spent hours chasing rodents around my kitchen with the cat sitting laughing at me :(

I suspected as much Lexx. I will give it a couple of days and then it will be time to wheel in the big guns. Poor little mousie.

And the best trap is a little gadget called "Little Nipper"

It is the cheapest trap on the market, about £1.00, however it is the most effective and has a 100% success rate.

Fiddly to set, so watch those nails.

Seriously, these little demons are serious rodent traps and would break your finger so be carefull.

Alex :)

Alex, that's what my Dad told me to use but I am too soft to use it straight away without giving mousie a fighting chance to do the decent thing :blush: I will get a Little Nipper in a few days if I have to although I will feel really guilty if I catch him and it turns out I've murdered a cute little woodmouse.

How big a litter tray would I need for that cat :headhurt:

Alex, that's what my Dad told me to use but I am too soft to use it straight away without giving mousie a fighting chance to do the decent thing :blush: I will get a Little Nipper in a few days if I have to although I will feel really guilty if I catch him and it turns out I've murdered a cute little woodmouse.

"Murdered" You mean decapitated :lol::lol::lol:

I can sympathise with your dilemma having recently suffered at the hands of a mouse. I was lying in bed about 2 weeks ago and thought I could hear a noise (I assumed it was someone else in the house and thought nothing more of it). I went to turn the light off to go to bed and had the shock of my life, on my bedside table starring at me was a mouse, I'm not afraid to admit it I sh*t myself. I sat there watching this mouse run around my room waiting for a gap so I could open the door and bolt. I was tired so I didn't really want to deal with the prospect of a mouse running around my room while I slept so I thought 'sod this I'm off to sleep on the sofa'. That was the worst nights sleep of my life, I learnt something that night, sofas are not as comfy when you're sober.

Anyway upon returning to my room in the morning I had another shock, a kilo tub of Haribo that was sitting in my room was empty, the little bugger had cleaned the lot out and I had no idea where it had gone. So I decided to sort my bedroom out on the weekend as there was a huge amount of stuff in the wardrobe that I hadn't touched since coming back from uni. As I moved boxes I found this:

IMAG0454.jpg

and this in the other corner...

IMAG0456.jpg

I identified the hole that the mouse had come through and set my traps with his favourite food...

IMAG0463.jpg

Whilst I waited for him to bite I started going through my boxes of stuff and to my surprise I found him in one of the boxes. Bit of a dilemma as I thought up close he looked too cute to kill so I thought I'd chuck him on one of the fields next door. After that I heard nothing more of him :D

Until I was sitting in the kitchen a week later having a chat with the old man and saw this out the corner of my eye!

IMAG0470.jpg

look closely at the banana propped against the Peroni box...

IMAG0469.jpg

I don't know why but the sight of this 'cute' little mouse made my blood boil, I knew he would get back in the house but this time I knew it would be hard to catch him as he ran off once I went outside. In my rage I cut up some of his new favourite food and popped it on a mouse/rat trap. Sure enough he fell at the last hurdle and I found this in the morning:

mod edit: Removed the last pic to save any complaints from the more squemish members. Lexx]

Suffice to say I haven't had a mouse problem since, the end.

Aaaaw, I hate films with sad endings :thumbdown: He was cute but, like you, I can't really face sharing my house with a rodent, no matter how cute.

I share mine with 4!!!

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

Just trap it and train it to do your bidding.....like grooming your hair

042008215113.jpg

Im slightly concerned that Geoffs mouse ate a kilo of haribo, and TwoBears could take the paracetamol tablets out of their little foil cases !!!! Are these a new breed of super mice, bent on overthrowing the human race?

And out of interest, whats the weirdest thing a cat has brought in? One of mine caught a Bat, which I had to catch in the kitchen and release back into the wild. I've also had a Moorhen, and Frogs !!!!

And out of interest, whats the weirdest thing a cat has brought in?

I think the weirdest thing was a mole :lol: . In the past my cats have also fetched in a Kingfisher, a fully grown male pheasant, how on earth it got it through the catflap is anyone's guess. There's also the mystery of a baby duck I found in our hallway as there isn't a pond within our cats territory.

My mum used to live just over the field to me and her cat brought about 50 stoats in over its lifetime :scare: and well over 100 squirrels. I've owned about 40 cats and not a single one of them has ever caught a squirrel (or a stoat)

Pete

Still voting for my Bat being the weirdest!! :lol:

The Bl**dy thing was alive and flying around my kitchen. God knows how it was caught, they were only kittens at the time? Must have been a lucky leap in the air and hit it by mistake??

Have to admit, I wasn't keen on catching it to throw it out (but I did), didn't really know if they bite, squeal, scream, hit you with a knuckle-duster, or what? Turns out they squeak and sit in your hand with their little hears racing. Quite sweet, but bl**dy ugly facially.

How big a litter tray would I need for that cat :headhurt:

Don't listen to him TB - he just gets his shotgun or baseball bat out :bangin:

Peanut butter and humane trap will work :thumbs:

Personally I just shut the cat in the room until I ear the squeak :shrug:

Sounds like you need to have words with that cat of yours as he's not earning his keep!

Surely the mouse will have OD'ed on the paracetamol by now? I was once reading about keeping skunks as pets and allegedly they absolutely fiend for paracetamol and if the get the slightest sniff of it they search the room top to bottom for them and eat the lot then die. Odd little creatures.

Those degu things look well cute Ricey. Do they have pouches? Someone told me they do but others say not...

S.

I had mice that came in off the golf course next to my house that ate 20kg of cat food!!!!

How did you know? were they wearing Pringle?? :lol:

We had mice in a house we rented years ago, Kat pooped herself one night when she saw something that defied belief. We had a small unit with 2 shelves, she saw a mouse clambering up the back onto the top shelf, the shelf below had books and stuff on it and hanging down under the shelf was a little mouses rear end swinging in the breeze. Kat yelps 'sh*t look at the size of that f*cker aaaahhhhhhhh!!!'

She thought it was a massive, foot long mouse! :lol::lol::lol: It was just two mices on a mission, like little ninjas :ninja:

I've been to a lecture on pest control tonight, yes I know you must all feel envious of my exciting and glamorous life :blush: I think I must have charmed the chap giving the talk as he presented me with a bag of mouse poison at the end :thumbs: I am an animal lover and feel bad about doing this but I have to catch mousie one way or another before he or she damages something other than just the contents of my handbag :(