Total loss of my beloved zed!

skidder

Hi all,

Some advice needed.I clipped a curb on a dual carriageway last monday which spun me out and totalled my car.I'm only just getting used to the loss to be honest.

I''m waiting to hear an offer from the insurance company in the next couple of days.I guess they will lo-ball me and then i'll have to argue the toss.

The thing is I love the car and I might ask them how much they want for it and get some help maybe from you guys and fix my baby back up.

It was a red 04 gt with 82k on the clock.Never skipped a beat since I had it.

Anyway heres the quote....

Vehicle: Nissan 350z 3.5 Ltr 206/214Kw

VAT Reg.d: No

Reg No:

Estimated By

Labour schedule Data source

Data source

Remove and Fit New

Right Rear Wheel Bearing ADX

Remove and Refit

Rear Axle Carrier ADX Rear Axle Member ADX

Centre Front Panel ADX L/F Side Indicator Lamp ADX

Includes: R + R Bumper And Necessary

Attached Parts

L/Wing Shell ADX R/F Side Indicator Lamp ADX

R/Wing Shell ADX Front Bumper Bar ADX

(With Bumper Bar Removed)

Radiator Air Guide Panel(S) ADX L/Sill Trim ADX

R/Sill Trim ADX Rear Bumper ADX

Centre Muffler ADX Rear Muffler ADX

R/R Tyre (Wheel Removed) ADX L/Wing Badge ADX

R/Wing Badge ADX

Repair

L/R Wheel ADX L/F Wheel ADX

R/R Side Panel ADX Rear Bumper ADX

L/F Wing ADX

Paint

Paint preparation ADX Rear Bumper Fittingsdetail Masking ADX

De Nib . ADX R/R 1/4 Glass Detail Masking ADX

R/R Light Detail Masking ADX R/R Side Panel Repair Painting <50% ADX

Rear Bumper Repair Paint Plastic ADX R/F Wing Repair Painting <50% ADX

L/F Wing Repair Painting <50% ADX Front Bumper New Part Paint K1R ADX

New parts required. New parts, listed below, will be charged at manufacturers list price.

Estimate subject to dismantling and fluctuations in manufacturers prices.

The above work is an estimate based on our inspection and does not cover additional parts or labour which may be required after the work

has been started.

Remember your radio code! We may disconnect your battery for some procedures and we have no way of knowing your secuity code. will not be held responsible for any personal belongings left in vehicles.

PLEASE REMOVE EVERYTHING

Estimate 239264, continued Page: 2

1 x Front Number Plate 6.50 1 x Front Bumper 332.60

1 x Front Impact Damper 74.36 1 x Bumper Reinforcement 143.19

1 x Badge 28.02 1 x L/Wheelhouse End 33.72

1 x R/Wheelhouse End 37.46 1 x Front Panel 118.26

1 x L/Radiator Shroud 51.47 1 x R/Radiator Shroud 50.39

1 x Rear Axle Subframe 737.58 1 x R/R Strg Knuckle 615.44

1 x R/R Wheel Bearing 68.90 1 x R/Upp Strut Bearing 44.17

1 x R/R Control Arm 114.09 1 x R/R Lwr Control Arm 105.02

1 x R/R Axle Steering 157.99 1 x R/R Upp Control Arm 229.66

1 x R/R Wheel 824.80 1 x Frt No Plate Plinthe 5.00

Additional charges

L/F TYRE £217.28 L/R TYRE £234.39

R/R TYRE £234.39 E.P.A. CHARGE £5.00

Sundries £30.00

Estimate Summary

Labour 943.80

Paint and materials 415.94

Parts & Sundries 3355.19

Charges 721.06

Estimate 239264, continued

Estimate total £5,435.99

VAT @ 20.00 £1,087.20

Grand Total £6,523.19

Any advice much appreciated..

Chris

Oh and by the way I have zero mechanical knowledge.

I know your heart will be telling you to get your baby back on the road but IMO your head should be telling you to get as much as you can from the insurers and start again. Spending £6.5K on a 04 with 88k on the clock doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sorry to hear about that mate, but with the age and mileage of your car they are going to offer you less than the repair quote I'd say.

Take their money and buy another or you could be left out of pocket with a CAT D car you can't sell................

Sorry to hear of your loss mate.

I have most parts in stock to fix this, however if you have little mechanical knowledge and are unable to rebuild yourself and you have to pay some one to do it for you then best bo bite the bullet, negotiate hard and start again.

Not what you want to hear I know, but it is sound, informed advice. :thumbs:

Alex :)

sorry to hear about your Zed.

A similar-ish thing happened to my other half just before Christmas in his FR. The insurers estimate to repair was over £5K however some of the things quoted were ridiculous such as supply and install of two new wing mirrors even though neither were damaged!

He decided to buy it back from the insurers and sort it himself and the work is almost complete and the total cost including buying it back, buying parts, transportation (had to hire a flat bed truck), spraying, labour, and getting the chassis jigged etc is just under £1.5k.

Depending on the damage yours could cost more as sourcing FR bits is probably a little easier. But if the chassis is ok it could be cheaper. Don't forget that you'll be left with a cat C or D car which will be very hard to sell.

Hope you get it sorted :)

S.

edit - should probably add that although the car's been fixed up at significantly less than the quote, in hindsight my other-half has had doubts that it was wisest thing to do but if you're attached to the car you kinda feel that you 'owe' it to it. The amount you've been offered for an 04 plate with 80,000 miles certainly doesn't sound like the p**s take that some insurers would offer.

Take the money and run :thumbs:

And that's from someone that would almost certainly be in for some business if you didn't :lol:

Seriously though, I know how you feel as I had an accident last year, luckily only the drivers side of my car was wiped out, my Zed was on 90k+ so I started looking around at replacements thinking it would be written off but the Insurance covered the repairs as they were confident the other party would be paying, although it still isn't sorted...

It would have been heartbreaking to loose the car as like you it has given me very few problems given the mileage on it, but at the end of the day the damage to yours is so great that it really wouldn't be worth salvaging even with all the nostalgia attached, you would be spending more than it would be worth and once finished it would be devalued even more because of the damage / repairs.

:console::byebye:

£6.5k is a decent figure I reckon given the mileage....

Open the Box! oh sorry thought we were playing take your pick for a minute there. Seriously tho I did something very similar to mine a few years ago and the insurance company didnt offer me as much as they are you. Mine was heavily modified and i had invested a lot of money into it so i didnt have a choice really. But i managed to enter into a contract repair with the insurance company and it turned out ok. I think with the prices of second hand cars today and your situation the best option is to take the money and find another one as others have said. Good luck.

Id definately take the money and see if you can keep or buy back the salvage cheaply as its got to be worth a fair few quid as parts.

Ive had 2 total loss accidents in the past, neither my fault and on both occasions the insurance company agreed a price with me (after lots of haggling as their 1st quote was always roughly 50% of the true market value). And on both occasions they let me keep the written off vehicle. Depending up on how much spare time I had I either stripped the car and sold for parts on ebay, or just put the entire car on ebay as it was and let someone else buy it for spares. You`ll be supprised as to how much you can get.

So many cars are written off purely because the body repair shops are so greedy. My missus had a claim for a small roundabout shunt about 2 years back. I priced up how much it would cost me to repair. It needed new grill, radiator, 1 spot light, a headlamp and a bonnet. I worked out it would cost me around £500 max to repair & repaint. The insurance estimate for the repair was £2500!!! The car was only worth £3000, so it was a borderline write off!!!!

I'll take my money and run I guess :)

They want 35% for the salvage.I wouldnt even think about it for the price.If they said a grand then o.k. I saw the damage and it isnt as heavy as it sounds.I mean they've quoted £824 for a wheel and the front slam panel is a little bent.The only real problem is the rear axle and shocks.Bumpers not a big deal and theyve quoted £800 for new tyres.

So now I want another.So if anyone knows one for sale around that price or more then let me know.I only want black,red or white.

cheers

As others have said, take the money and run. There are plenty out there for your £6.5k. 04 GT's with about 60k re currently being advertised for 7k, so you could easily get them down to 6.5k and shave 20-30k off your current mileage with no cat c/d to worry about come sale time.

I'll take my money and run I guess :)

They want 35% for the salvage.I wouldnt even think about it for the price.If they said a grand then o.k. I saw the damage and it isnt as heavy as it sounds.I mean they've quoted £824 for a wheel and the front slam panel is a little bent.The only real problem is the rear axle and shocks.Bumpers not a big deal and theyve quoted £800 for new tyres.

So now I want another.So if anyone knows one for sale around that price or more then let me know.I only want black,red or white.

cheers

The repair 'estimate' will be extortionate.... I needed a new front passenger ray and tyre which came to £1,250 :scare:

I told the garage to get me a 2nd hand one and refurb all 4 but they had already ordered it :thumbdown: glad I wasn't paying for it :surrender:

I'd take the money and buy yourself something else mate. It will never be right and getting it to that stage will ruin the car for you. Also don't forget come renewal time they will bone you sadly so it may be time to down size especially with the petrol rises and tax rises on the way?

• 3 weeks later...

cant believe I found my car for sale at a salvage yard.

cripes. I'd feel gutted if I saw mine on a site like that :byebye:

Damage doesn't look too bad (and does say it's only cat d), will be interesting to see what it fetches. Perhaps a trader on here will buy it for a chop shop...

S.