Newbie. sort of

Hi all,

I have had my zed some 6 months of happy and very unhappy motoring. Its an 06 UK GT with a mere 33 on the clock but a bit of a "history" but it was cheaper than market value so more cash to spend on making it go properly. Hmm there was a flaw in that plan.

Well replaced the fried brakes (it had been to a track day or two and the pillock who owned it was not really mechanically sympathetic.) and belly plate, front grill, on with a mongoose system, cure a misfire that has put me off Nissan dealers forever..... , redone the wheels, new tyres just set up the Kinetix plenum (new stainless jobbie from the good ol US and A ) K and N Fitted and then the oil consumption became a little excessive . Bit like the Exon Valdez was a minor spill...... eaten a piston.

Mark at Abbey arranged to pick it up and I arranged a therapy session and some overtime... and a lie down later I got the full story.

So Its getting forged pistons and a new clutch rebuilt with all the new bits and uprev (which was next anyway) . Should go like a good un when I get it back. Then it will be some minor paint to make it really stand out and the fun can begin. still cheaper than the 911 i was considering and much more fun.

Ill keep you posted on how it all goes .

Nobby

Hi Guys, (and any ladies that may be on here !) and thanks for the warm welcome,

The Z is with Abbey and they have taken pics, being rebored for the Wiseco Pistons as we speak. I have used them in bikes and they are good quality. I have had problems with JE pistons in bikes so didnt want them and the Wisecos are are cheaper than OE. Crank was ok but a couple of the shells had been marked . I just know it will be quick, getting a light flywheel and clutch which will effect road manners a bit but its a GT car and I use at such, so dont mince about town in it !

Im sat up a mountain in Iraq writing this and cant wait to get back next month, Might have to have a sit down after I get the bill but what the hell. I did think about having it blown but supercharging isnt worth it , I may as well buy a GT R.

The paint job is the next thing, car is silver and I want to keep it simple and sort of original so Im thinking stripes , 2 tone or something along those lines, toyed with having it wrapped, I thought about white, Gulf Oils , JPS lotus, and all manner of things inbetween . I had the bottom of the car done in grey (pics to follow) which is ok but Im disapointed with wrapping , just doesnt look good enough close up. So I have a body shop lined up to do the work. Any ideas ? Dont want it to be lairy, but striking, Ive always loved the way the old F1 cars and GT cars looked. have a soft spot for muscle cars (what petrol head hasnt) and Im a bike loon as well so lots of influences. I have also thought of copying some of the paint seen on the Reno Unlimited air racers. (used to fly myself and on my "to do" list is flying in a mustang ) Take a look at "rare bear" on you tube. its 350 with wings. Anyway, suggestions welcome and it will keep my brain active in the cold !

Regards Nobby.

PS pics when I get home i think .

• 1 month later...

well 2 months and a fair old bill later and she is back together.

What can I say ? its now has more torque more power at the hubs and stops and handles better. Lighter flywheel helps no end, downside is a little more noise from the transmission and a bit of gearbox rattle at Idle, but i own a Ducati so dont really care about that.

The list of work is as follows.

Strip and rebuild with ,

Wiseco pistons,

Rebuilt heads

New oil water pumps

Stillen sump

All new seals bearings etc

Kinetix big bore cats

Mongoose full systemKinetix inlet

K and N filter kit

Up rev

New suspension bushes

Front Discs replaced (I had put ebc drilled discs on it, 3000 miles ago and they are rubbish)

Ive powder coated the Rays in high gloss black. new tyres all round.

It goes like it should handles and stops and is fun to drive. Next on the list is a load of carbon a paint job and some wider 18s. Ill take some pics and post them shortly.

The team at Abbey have been brilliant, if you want your Zed to be looked after there is only one place to go. They looked after me and I can trust the workmanship and the level of knowledge of the engine and car in general is 1st rate. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Its going back for its oil cooler when Ive done a 1000 miles . By which time I will have a load of carbon bits on the way.

Ive now spent almost as much as a nice 370 would cost me, is it worth it ? absolutely. Would I do it again ? no question. I now have a very quick normally aspirated 350. As a real world sports GT its great.

Now all I need is some time to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

My 350 is now tucked up for another 5 weeks while Im in Iraq, Ive done about 900 miles since the rebuild and it will go back to abbey for the oil cooler and a service when Im home next. Really pleased, it goes really well and sounds epic... next on the list is a set of wheels some carbon and a paint job. Possibly a satnav upgrade as well.

Im going to fit wider 18s any suggestions ?

Anyone have any tips re Carbon Bonnets, I like the look but dont want to get into too much impracticality.

On the sat nav front any suggestions ?

It will give me something to think about in the evenings.