Fog Lights

spursmaddave

Why oh why do so many people have a problem with understanding what fog lights are and when they should be used..... :shrug:

I constantly get dazzled but idiots driving around on a clear day at dusk with not only front fog lights on but rear ones too.... I usually drive fairly close behind and if nothing is coming the other way stick my full beams on as they obviously enjoy light...

And then this morning I was coming home from work at 8am in a real pea souper, coming over the QE2 bridge and I couldn't even see either side of the bridge :surrender:

Every single overhead sign, and there are LOTS on the bridge said 'Caution Fog' just in case you didn't realise it was foogy.... and there were still complete twunts driving along with just sidelights on or worse, no lights at all :rant:

You got no chance, most drivers cant even use the most basic of light............f@cking indicators :rant::angry:

+10000000 :angry:

Dave (Beavis :lol: ) Don't you know that indicators are optional extras on those cars :lol:

Dave (SMD :lol: ) You want to get your self some KC Daylighters for the Zed. 2 on the bumper and 2 on the roof B) .... they may get the idea then :lol:

77201d1288911884-custom-tacoma-kc-daylighter-covers-kc-covers.jpg

You got no chance, most drivers cant even use the most basic of light............f@cking indicators :rant::angry:

Dave (Beavis :lol: ) Don't you know that indicators are optional extras on those cars :lol:

Makes my blood boil! I have been known to shout "they aren't an optional extra you know" at other drivers who fail to use them. :lol: When i see them not been used on roundabouts is the worst though :angry::rant::angry:

Dave (SMD :lol: ) You want to get your self some KC Daylighters for the Zed. 2 on the bumper and 2 on the roof B) .... they may get the idea then :lol:

77201d1288911884-custom-tacoma-kc-daylighter-covers-kc-covers.jpg

I must admit, I'm keen to swap to current nudge bar on the Navara for one with big ass spots on it for blasting everyone! :teeth:

Regarding front fog lights, it would seem that most VAG cars and some mercs now have a system where one front fog light comes on as the steering wheel is turned when the headlights are on. This might be a helpful feature but it looks a bit silly and means peoples fog lights are flashing on and off every time they go around a corner. Might also encourage others to use their fog lights all the time :thumbdown:

Also it seems recently that every third car I see on the road only has one headlight working :headhurt:

I've only ever needed front fogs precisely once in my entire driving career. That's how almost entirely useless they are.

Ford irritate me,as their vehicles insist on putting the front fogs on the rocker switch before the rear fogs, so you either have them both on or you have to flash the fronts to get the rears on. Ford need shooting over this, it's utterly retarded. :thumbdown:

I have only had to use them a couple of times in my life I think, luckily the majority was in my MX5 (06) and I have to say they were spot on :thumbs: ...... nearly all the cars I have had previously either did not have them or they were so useless they were not even worth bothering with.

A chap in our office has a Juke... and I hate the headlights.... they are just big fog lights :shrug: ... very annoying when he's driving behind me :angry:

I've only ever needed front fogs precisely once in my entire driving career. That's how almost entirely useless they are.

2 or 3 times for fog on the front in 40 years, back ones maybe 20 times. However I've also used them in falling snow a few times and the back ones frequently in heavy rain. Got pulled in the 70's for having the ones I'd fitted switched on when it wasn't foggy or snowing :blush: . Just too many drivers have them switched on all the time for the police to do anything about it nowadays I guess :shrug: .

Pete

Also it seems recently that every third car I see on the road only has one headlight working :headhurt:

This winds me up, you usually find then that people put their full beams on to compensate! If I have a bulb out I change it sharpish, you'll only annoy other road users and waste Mr Plods time when he has to pull you.

I always thought fog lights were to be used in 'circumstances that dictate use' (in other words, fog/mist) and it was illegal to use them when not in those circumstances? :wacko:

P.s. another favourite is people who put full beam on just before they go past you :dry:

I do love driving in front of 'Mr X5' with his fog lights on. Perfect height for me to be able to see **** all. Even thinking about it annoys me, nearly as much as people who think indicators are used to tell you they're moving into your lane, regardless of your presence. :rant:

Have to agree on fog lights being useless on the front. I was driving back in horrendous fog once and thought to put the fronts on, improvement, NOPE!! it just made the fog stand out more and dazzle my own eyes with the light bouncing off the fog. Best answer was to drive slowly till it cleared, but it was that bad it took me 3 hours to drive from Brighton to London!!

Glad I am not alone :lol: had a feeling I wouldn't be :lol:

It was SERIOUSLY foggy here Sunday morning, first time I have not been able to see each side of the bridge let alone the cars in front :surrender:

Only cars I could see were the ones with rear fogs on so they are needed....

Oh and I forgot to say what made it worse was it was maybe the 2nd time I have EVER actually used my fog lights and I pull off the A2 and within 200 yards someone flashed me :rant: and they were going onto the A2 with zero visibility.... numpty doesn't even begin to describe that fella.....

Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about??? I honestly can't say that I find fog lamps on the front of the car are dazzling unless it is a big 4x4 in which the dipped lamps often seem to be quite dazzling anyway :dry:

The rear fogs are a bit annoying but I question the sense in driving with your full beams right up someones arse if they leave them on? The type of driver that has them on is generally a bit of a liability anyway so I would steer well clear of them.

Fog lights are only allowed to be used in fog so is it the fact that people are flouting the law that gets peoples back up rather than the dazzle?

In Ireland about 70% of people drive around with front fogs (or spots as they are frequently called!!!). I suppose if everyone is dazzled it's not a problem :lol: (I hope no one looks up the crash stats in Ireland :scare: )

Chris

The Highway Code states that you must use your headlights when visibility is reduced – generally when you cannot see further than around 100 metres (328ft).

The Code also states that you must not use front or rear foglights unless visibility is seriously reduced, and ensure you switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.

Incorrect use of rear foglights can also obscure your brake lights, making you more vulnerable to a rear-end shunt.

Some police forces impose a fine of £30 for having your foglights on when conditions do not warrant their use.

Pete