GT1 or F1?

brillomaster

I like GT1.... and i like Formula 1, but.... which is best?

Only one way to find out...

HHfight.jpg

But seriously... which is your favourite, and why?

For me it has to be GT1 - the cars look better and sound better, and the racing actually involves overtaking done properly, none of this KERS malarky. Plus, the cars drive with no stability control, no abs and no traction control... Also, the races can be won by anyone who starts - unlike F1, where races always seem to be won by 1 of three drivers.

And, probably the most important bit... they race cars that i could actually own one day, if im very lucky. F1 cars are just way too high in the stratosphere.

Anyone have any arguments for Formula 1? I'm struggling to see why F1 gets all the media coverage, when its simply not as good!

Not that it'll go down very well but I cannot stick F1 - its about as interesting as watching a rock.

Rally is where its at - mental cases driving ludicrously fast in places with lots of rocks and tree......crazy and clearly the best drivers in the world.

Your right though racing needs overtaking and thrills - even though I've never been into bikes I've always preferred watching bike racing.

Not that it'll go down very well but I cannot stick F1 - its about as interesting as watching a rock.

Rally is where its at - mental cases driving ludicrously fast in places with lots of rocks and tree......crazy and clearly the best drivers in the world.

Your right though racing needs overtaking and thrills - even though I've never been into bikes I've always preferred watching bike racing.

+1 on Rallying, just watching the on board cameras from the drivers POV makes me :scare:

F1 hasn't held my intrest for quite a few years now.

Some pretty interesting racing in this video.

I think i remember reading somewhere you've got a Z4 Ricey? now just need some race decals and a trip to germany!!

watch GT1 races on the GT1 site, here.

http://gt1world.com/gt1tv

They're a nice easy digestible 1 hours race :thumbs:

second to GT1 races i would say BTCC - brilliant, brilliant door to door action. May also be the only form of racing with success ballast, which makes for really close racing.

+1 for BTCC. I got into it early in my life and still love it. It's great racing and very down to earth. It's a shame the manufacturers dumped it although hopefully they'll return like Chevrolet and Honda.

I don't think I've ever watched a boring BTCC race.

I'm not that bothered by F1. I'd like to go to a race weekend to soak up the atmosphere and I think I'd get right into the racing if there. On the TV I just don't get excited by it.

MotoGP all day long :#1:

Would watch GT1 if it got more coverage. As its not on normal telly it means the image quality is a bit pap when blown up on the TV. Do they stream it live in HD on the net or something similar to BBC freeview/freesat SD quality (which is still rather good)? The clips I've seen after races hasnt been very good quality which means I dont want to watch it on the TV by hooking up the laptop.

Been going to and watching F1 races for nearly 30 years now!

Old git :p:lol:

I will give you "old git" if i make it to the Hoon at some point, I will have you in a head lock in the first minute of meeting you! "Now what did you say"? :boxing:;):lol:

MotoGP all day long :#1:

Been pretty boring over the past couple of seasons though, Moto2 and Moto3 show what it should be like I think. :thumbs:

F1 this season has been excellent to watch, I dont remember seeing a GT1 race that was even half as good as Canada this year ....... that said it has come on a lot over the past few seasons. Both good to watch but Id like to see a bit more GT1 coverage TBH. :thumbs:

rallying and BTCC are my favourites, i watch the odd bit of F1 but its not very exciting, i like the noise and the speed, but they might as well be stationary as they don't actually do much. love the technology in them as well.

for pure sh1ts and giggles pickup truck racing is great to watch. :thumbs:

love the technology in them as well.

I think thats what makes the BBC coverage so great is they look into all the new parts and how they work (in laymans terms) which makes people appreciate how advanced they really are. Not sure that will be the same in the coming season with the cutback of race coverage.

Agreed, it'll be much better on Sky with all their squillions and a whole TV channel to fill up ;):teeth:

I like watching F1 over a weekend, and when it's exciting it's very exciting, but when it's not it's just a procession. My real passion is for watching the endurance races like the ALMS, Le Mans itself and the Nurburgring 24HR races. I love how I can drop in and out and always find something going on between the differing classes, and if I miss an hour or so because I've something pressing to do it's not the end of the world.

Man i love F1... i've watched it since i was 9 years old (Mansell in '92). Every now and then i go off it for a bit (such as the later Schumacher years :yawn: and when Alonso's been winning :angry: ) but these last 3 years have been fantastic. Im a huge McLaren fan and love the team setup they've got there.

Im dreading it going to Sky too as i really like Jake/David/Eddie when they're presenting...

GT1 footage on the site isnt that brilliant quality, but it is the whole race, and its reasonable enough to plug the laptop into our TV, so seems to be watchable.:thumbs:

Agreed with Ekona though, watching endurances races would be the best i think, seeing 4 different classes of car on track would be great, constant struggle as the prototype cars have to get past the GT cars. Where can you see footage of that? the Dubai 24hrs race was on very recently, would love to see the highlights of that.

as for things you can get on terrestrial, the BTCC coverage on ITV is great. Full dats racing on there - coverage starts at 11am and ends at 5pm, if memory serves. very much looking forward to that kicking off in April! :yahoo:

F1 used to be tremendous, Mansell always up there, Senna tearing up reputations when he first came in, Irv the Swerve! Great characters and a proper battle out there on the track. Cars boucing around trying to eek tenths out of corners it was incredible racing. Technology has utterly ruined the sport. As much as I appreciate it has benefits in the real motoring world where it gets passed onto manufacturers there is far too much in F1 - its has taken 75% of the racing away from the driver and put it in the hands of a computer.

As a spectacle that is not good in my opinion. I want to watch drivers driving cars, not the other way around :thumbdown:

Its not only technology, the drivers really lack character nowadays, no real battlers out there, almost refreshing to see Hamilton upsetting a few drivers.

Rallying I do like, still have driver aids to a degree but the reaction speeds of these drivers and the connection they have with the car and road is just unbelivable sometimes. How it all processes that quick.