iPhone 5- wow!!

LRF4N

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disappoint.

Siri looks very cool but I can't see myself using it that much, and I use my iPhone for simple games not huge epic things (Infinity Blade works very well on the iPad but not so good on the iPhone IMHO). A better camera is a nice touch but it's perfectly acceptable as it is and I have my D90 for proper photos. I don't need any more space at all either, so the 64GB is pointless for me.

I so wanted this to be amazing, and it's really not. It's still better than any Android phone that I can see, but it's not enough to make me rush out and get it.

I am disappoint.

Siri looks very cool but I can't see myself using it that much, and I use my iPhone for simple games not huge epic things (Infinity Blade works very well on the iPad but not so good on the iPhone IMHO). A better camera is a nice touch but it's perfectly acceptable as it is and I have my D90 for proper photos. I don't need any more space at all either, so the 64GB is pointless for me.

I so wanted this to be amazing, and it's really not. It's still better than any Android phone that I can see, but it's not enough to make me rush out and get it.

I'm not too sure its better than any Android phone. I've got the Desire HD and while its not to everybodys taste because of the size, its certainly no worse than the Iphone. Its been superseded by the Sensation now i believe. The HD is very quick and does almost everything the Iphone does and in certain areas more. If Apple doesn't like using Flash because they say is slows the phone down, then the top of the range Android phones must be super-computers in disguise because the ones i've seen are quick.

Apple certainly have the upper hand in the marketing stakes, just look at how many pawns/customers they have queueing up pay more than they need on monthly tariffs and high handsets costs just to have the latest best handset the world has ever seen or ever will see. Until the next iphone comes out, in 6 months.

My contract is up for renewal tomorrow :D

I shall be pre ordering one of these on Friday :teeth:

Mines has been up since feb.... very disappointed as I have been awaiting the cometh of the godphone 5.....

Raging... I will be pre-ordering though lol

If Apple doesn't like using Flash because they say is slows the phone down, then the top of the range Android phones must be super-computers in disguise because the ones i've seen are quick.

They dont say it slows the phone down. You need to read this - http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

TBH I wouldnt be bothered if everyone dropped Flash like a turd - its crap and it itself slow :thumbdown:

If Apple doesn't like using Flash because they say is slows the phone down, then the top of the range Android phones must be super-computers in disguise because the ones i've seen are quick.

They dont say it slows the phone down. You need to read this - http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

TBH I wouldnt be bothered if everyone dropped Flash like a turd - its crap and it itself slow :thumbdown:

I can see from your profile that you work in the computer industry, so you obviously have far more knowledge than me when it comes to the in's and out's of how flash works, but i've never had a problem in day to day use of using the web nor has anybody else i know. I can understand from a more in depth use such as programming, web design etc that flash would be more of a problem but how many people actually use their phones for such things? Again you are more knowledgable than me so i may well stand very corrected!!

Flash on YouTube drains my MacBook Pro battery a lot faster, raising CPU temperature to over 80-90 degrees Celsius from the normal under 60 degrees at 2000rpm, hence the cooler fans will rotate a lot faster to keep up with the high temperature...

Besides that, security it's a major problem for Adobe products, specially Reader and Flash:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/

HTML5 it's the way, it just takes time to be widely adopted, to cut the story short...

I can see from your profile that you work in the computer industry, so you obviously have far more knowledge than me when it comes to the in's and out's of how flash works, but i've never had a problem in day to day use of using the web nor has anybody else i know. I can understand from a more in depth use such as programming, web design etc that flash would be more of a problem but how many people actually use their phones for such things? Again you are more knowledgable than me so i may well stand very corrected!!

Its not so much a visible problem these days and not something that actually grinds your PC or phone to a halt as it did a few years ago as phones are as powerful as PCs were only 10yrs ago (maybe less!).

The problem with Flash is its all propriety software, Adobe are very closed about how it all works. As such, hardware struggles to support it which makes it very inefficient. One prime example is BBC iPlayer HD. It is (was?) written in Flash. It would grind my PC to a halt (dual core 2GHz) purely because it refused to use hardware acceleration and did everything in CPU maxing it out. Rather than send the rendering of the video to the video processor, it would do it all in CPU which is far too much for it to handle. Whereas if you take blueray or other HD sources, they play with no fuss at all, using at most 10% CPU and utilise more hardware acceleration. As Octet says, this is seen as the CPU fan spinning up, which is the last thing you want when trying to conserve battery or indeed watch a film. On the mobile side - this means that your battery wont last as long and the phone will get hot quickly. If you do the same in HTML5 with H264, the phone can be made to have hardware that can render it rather than using the CPU, which means it is all optimised to work as efficiently as possible reducing the drain on battery and keeps the heat down.

Im not an iphone fan but even I am disapointed. The new "updates" barely bring it up to the competitors standards when you look at phones like the Galaxy s2. I was reading through the "specs" on behalf of my missus who has been desperate to get the new iphone for weeks and I really struggled to see what they had added.

8mb camera? The samsung i8910 had that, and other phones did, about 3 years ago. Better antenna? Well I guess they needed that cos the iphone 4 had notorious call dropping problems which apple acknowledged was an issue. Photo backup in the iCloud? Thats something Android / Google Photos already do and is very handy as you can automatically get all your pix anywhere. And finally voice recognition? Well phones have had that for donkeys years, but its never really become popular. I can say to my android phone "text mum i will be late for dinner" and my phone will send her a text message "i will be late for dinner". Or I can say to my phone "navigate me to 35 main road chester" and it will load up the sat nav software and put that address in for me. Likewise in drive mode, any text messages which come in the phone reads out to me etc. etc. etc. Do I use it? Not really as its more of a gimmick, but I guess if you were disabled or had bad eye sight then it would be very handy to have.

From looking on facebook this morning, nearly all those friends who have iphones are all very disapointed indeed and angry with Apple. But, amazingly have still said they will get it. They all agree that its just apples way of making more money out of their customers. They know that 80% of people who have iphones will get the next iphone regardless of how bad it is, people already have all their songs in itunes and are tied into the apple way of life - so moving elsewhere isnt an easy move.

post-7720-135011913285_thumb.jpg

The introduction of Apple’s A5, dual-core chip first seen in the iPad 2 enables the 4S to really compete in terms of power. Having said that, whilst the A4 processor is only single-core, it has still been a performance marvel during the course of the last 16 months, and could hardly be criticized for being slow.

One of the key features of the iPhone 4S is the ability for both GSM and CDMA users to roam worldwide on one device. The iPhone 4 launched as GSM only, and it wasn’t until the start of this year that Apple finally introduced a CDMA iPhone, allowing Verizon users to hop onto the iPhone bandwagon.

The 4S’ much-improved camera matches the Galaxy S II in terms of megapixels, although it’s hard to tell which is better until we’ve seen some actual shots from the yet-to-be-released device. Once suspects that Apple has done its homework on its friend/foe Samsung, and the improved light sensitivity could mean the latest iPhone’s snapper will be the best on the market.

On the topic of storage space, the 4S doubles the possibilities of its older brother by including a 64GB model. The Galaxy S II, although limited to a maximum of 48GB, does have the overt advantage a microSD slot – a freedom which consumers would love – but don’t expect – to see present on any iDevice. Ever.

Siri assistant, one of the main talking points of today’s keynote, is one of those features that could separate the iPhone 4S from all of its rivals – including the iPhone 4. Although voice control is not exactly a new idea, Siri covers most aspects of the device through voice alone. If adopted by the masses, it could prove to be staple part of our smartphone diet, forcing rivals to follow suit.

Comparing specs doesn't really hold water, as IOS runs much faster than the bloated Android OS on the same specs.... Like Mac OS and Windows...

And Megapixels do not make a good camera.

I actually think this new camera sounds amazing, it goes down to f2.4 which is a huge aperture for a cameraphone, kit lenses on DSLR's usually only go to 3.5! (lower number is better ;) )

My mrs has an Android phone with Dual Core processor, and it is not faster than my ancient 3GS ;)