iPhone 5- wow!!

LRF4N

I dont understand these data speeds. Regardless of whether its an iphone or a galaxy s2 or any other phone, in the UK we have 3g done we... and isnt 3g 3g? So, regardless of phone if 2 3g phones are sitting side by side both with full signal then the speed would be the same?

Short answer is no - 3G is not 3G - see this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G ;)

Also speeds depend on the connection being used (which kind of 3G) and the contention at the cell you are on. If there are lots of users using the system at the same time you wont get full speed - much the same as the internet at home being slow on an evening.

O2 widely get the highest mobile internet speed because to support the original iPhone it had to upgrade the network to support EDGE. This mean they added a whole load of new spare capacity to the network which they can divert iphone traffic over, as well as more tradition standards which evens out the contention at the cell.

:thumbs: cheers!

Hmmm so many i shouldnt have moved from o2 to orange. Doh!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I gave O2 a call..... They couldn't give a price as they haven't been rolled out yet (apparently) however the customer retention lad (I have learned to call them first instead of upgrades) said she will be able to do a deal on the 4S but is unsure what yet. I called as the 4 was coming up at hundreds of pounds on the website as an upgrade which I though was odd. Anyway, at least I know I can get a deal through them due to my loyalty.

Don't forget there's also the announcement of 4G which should be a lot faster!

Wouldnt expect that any time soon. I'm not sure O2 even have the test setup in Slough working yet, last I heard about it they were definately going to do a trial in Slough (mainly as they have a cell site on the office roof!). Never actually heard it was up and running or any demo of it in action though. After that, I guess they would roll it out across Slough and then onto other densly populated areas.

EDIT: Seems they got something working - http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-work ... -40092305/