My Zed has an unwelcome pet!

Spidermonk

Less than 3 weeks of Zed ownership (loving the car by the way) and already got my first problem! Strictly speaking it’s not the car's fault... rather the 8 legged critter that has decided to take residence in my wing mirror. :rant: Every morning without fail I have a dam spider’s web maliciously constructed between the wing mirror and drivers window!

So far I have yet to catch this hooligan in action, and have taken the following course of action to remove:

1.) Switched on heated wing mirrors.... No effect! I was hoping the little critter would come scurrying out, preferably engulfed in a little fireball. Alas no luck, it seems to be flame retardant.

2.) Parked as close as possible to my las’s VW Polo mirror, hoping that the spider would jump ship, thus transferring the ‘problem’. This had no effect, either the spider has a sense of style or is aware of her driving ability and realises that the move would be suicidal.

3.) Within reason tried to jet wash him out, though was a little concerned I’d damage the electrics so wimped out about half way through the extraction.

So, anyone else got this problem and know of a good way of removing these little terrorists? :shrug:

Thanks for the quick replies :thumbs:

I've still got the new car feeling and so wash the Zed at every given opportunity, therefore leaving him there isn't really an option, as I'm developing this sense of paranoia that he's doing this on purpose to mock me :bang:

I do however like the idea of smoking him out, next cig break and I'm going to try that!

Pressure washer is fine, even when my snow foam enters behind the mirror I give it a good blasting to remove the suds.

It won't hurt, although you may have a rather drowned spider.... nice write up by the way! :lol: (Especially trying to get the critter to jump ship!) :clap:

This reminds me of when I moved house earlier in the year and I had a load of old scrap metal at the old house. I say to the missus there is no way im putting that in the zed as it wont fit, let me borrow your car. Shes dead against it as shes worried spiders may be in the metal. I re-assure her its all fine, so take her Peugeot 307 and load it up with 1/2 tonne of scrap.

Anyway, week later she opens her car door and there are the cobwebs everywhere, you cant even get into the car to sit down. She goes ape and drags me out of bed to clean them up. I say "ah, its probably only some little spider", open the door on her car and without a word of a lie, the biggest spider ive ever seen drops out onto the driveway and runs off. It was massive - even the cat look scared. The missus promptly sh!t herself and jumped about 8ft before running screaming into the house. My neighbour came running out looking at me as if id just given my missus a slap and theres me standing there in my underwear (having been dragged out of bed) wondering whats going on.

I had to hoover that car out 3 times and she still took it to the local hand car wash guys to have them do it twice. Even now she opens the car door slowly in case the spider has relations also living in the car....

This reminds me of when I moved house earlier in the year and I had a load of old scrap metal at the old house. I say to the missus there is no way im putting that in the zed as it wont fit, let me borrow your car. Shes dead against it as shes worried spiders may be in the metal. I re-assure her its all fine, so take her Peugeot 307 and load it up with 1/2 tonne of scrap.

Anyway, week later she opens her car door and there are the cobwebs everywhere, you cant even get into the car to sit down. She goes ape and drags me out of bed to clean them up. I say "ah, its probably only some little spider", open the door on her car and without a word of a lie, the biggest spider ive ever seen drops out onto the driveway and runs off. It was massive - even the cat look scared. The missus promptly sh!t herself and jumped about 8ft before running screaming into the house. My neighbour came running out looking at me as if id just given my missus a slap and theres me standing there in my underwear (having been dragged out of bed) wondering whats going on.

I had to hoover that car out 3 times and she still took it to the local hand car wash guys to have them do it twice. Even now she opens the car door slowly in case the spider has relations also living in the car....

HaHa!!! too funny!! :lol::lol::lol:

Live and let live - I have a spider living in the wing mirror of the Volvo.

He (or she) builds great webs, though, even at 70 mph they thrum a bit in the wind but don't break!

They've been in there ages - probably a month or more, I don't trouble them, they don't trouble me, as they only come out early mornings, so we co-exist quite happily.

Really enjoyed the story Rabbitstew, this certainly puts my little problem in to perspective :thumbs:

Success.... came out this morning and no Spiders Web!!!

Whether it’s due to a spirited drive up Winnats Pass yesterday, a road that climbs through a narrow valley where the exhaust reverb fills the canyon (it’s worth looking at a few google images of Winnats to see how insane the pass is) or the fact that I wrapped the entire wing mirror in cling film last night, it seems to have worked :clap:

The cling films now off so I’m crossing my fingers that another web doesn’t appear.

Really enjoyed the story Rabbitstew, this certainly puts my little problem in to perspective :thumbs:

Success.... came out this morning and no Spiders Web!!!

Whether it’s due to a spirited drive up Winnats Pass yesterday, a road that climbs through a narrow valley where the exhaust reverb fills the canyon (it’s worth looking at a few google images of Winnats to see how insane the pass is) or the fact that I wrapped the entire wing mirror in cling film last night, it seems to have worked :clap:

The cling films now off so I’m crossing my fingers that another web doesn’t appear.

Yeah its funny reading about it now, but it wasnt at the time. When I went back in the house the missus was crying her eyes out and in hysterics. She had a good 3 hour drive to Norfolk that day, was running late and darent go anywhere near her car. So there was me at 7am hoovering her car out on my hands and knees with the missus standing looking over my shoulder pointing out all the places she thought there could be spiders hiding. Im sure the neighbor must think im a battered boyfriend or something.

Maybe I should have wrapped the whole car in cling film? :lol:

That made me laugh. :lol:

I am terrified of spiders but won't kill them. My brain tells me they are harmles and actually do the good job of getting rid of flies but i still can't get rid of the irrational fear! I have one of these! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Katcha-Bug/dp/B ... 226&sr=8-4

My missus has one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Insect-B ... 061&sr=1-5

• 1 month later...
Uuum, do you think said spidy can read??!! Username. :p:lol::p:lol:

Many :lol::lol: at both yours and Rabbitstew's post, highly amusing! :clap:

No word of a lie - my girlfriend (who let's just say is not quite the clean freak I am) had a mouse living in her old car (which was in regular use at the time) for several months. She's an animal lover and couldn't bear to evict the little fella. Needless to say, I am in charge of keeping the Z clean! :blush: