New personal best at the Nurburgring

trackpig

Well we are back from the Nurburgring. It turned out to be a fairly eventfull trip to say the least!

The cars performed very well. This time they included: 3x 350z, csl, vxt, e36 m3 evo and a s2000.

I set my new best time of 8.23min BTG which I am very happy with :teeth:

My Z could be faster but when I take into account the limited mod budget ive had and the fact the girlfriend uses the car as a daily driver, once again I am impressed with the versatility of the car.

ringreg.jpg

Well we are back from the Nurburgring. It turned out to be a fairly eventfull trip to say the least!

The cars performed very well. This time they included: 3x 350z, csl, vxt, e36 m3 evo and a s2000.

I set my new best time of 8.23min BTG which I am very happy with :teeth:

My Z could be faster but when I take into account the limited mod budget ive had and the fact the girlfriend uses the car as a daily driver, once again I am impressed with the versatility of the car.

ringreg.jpg

Good time mate :thumbs: You should be well chuffed. :drive1

That's friggin awesome. Brave, out of my 4 rookie lapsninmanage 10:20. I guess in say 50 laps time I should be able to get to 10:00 :lol:

Looking to stop by there 3rd/4th September. Now that I've made suspension and brake changes I'm hoping this will give me hope to be Sabine driving a transit van!! :lol:

Good show on the time :thumbs: (still a long way for me to go)

That's friggin awesome. Brave, out of my 4 rookie lapsninmanage 10:20. I guess in say 50 laps time I should be able to get to 10:00 :lol:

Looking to stop by there 3rd/4th September. Now that I've made suspension and brake changes I'm hoping this will give me hope to be Sabine driving a transit van!! :lol:

Good show on the time :thumbs: (still a long way for me to go)

the track is pretty long with tons of corners so guess you just need to drive that bit faster in the corners to make up the time :lol:

Thank for the comments guys!

Check out the other vids on my youtube account from the weekend if you like. There are some interesting tussles on there!

There really is nothing like a trip to the nurburgring and the high speed autobahn blasts that go with it- 150mph gps for what felt like ages, my rear tyre profile has robbed some of my top speed.

I have some ring lap tickets in the for sale section if anyone is planning a trip over there. Check them out.

:thumbs:

Andlid, I'm running Falkens and they are rubbish when warmed up. The tyre wall is pants and after the amount of squeal I was getting going round corners but not even pushing it I'd rather upgrade to sp2's then we can go faster in the corners.

To be fair there's a lot to learn. Previously I was braking at crests which I shouldn't have been doing as the other side was either straight or a slight bend. Then the next crest you think oh yeah that's the fast crest :scare::scare::scare: cancel that it's a hard left handed, on with the Brake!!!!!!!!

Holy Moly, that's faster than Pole position for the 1964 Grand Prix :scare: . In fact the last GP held there in 1976 had a pole time of just over 7 minutes although there may have been a few changes since then.

Pete

Andlid, I'm running Falkens and they are rubbish when warmed up. The tyre wall is pants and after the amount of squeal I was getting going round corners but not even pushing it I'd rather upgrade to sp2's then we can go faster in the corners.

To be fair there's a lot to learn. Previously I was braking at crests which I shouldn't have been doing as the other side was either straight or a slight bend. Then the next crest you think oh yeah that's the fast crest :scare::scare::scare: cancel that it's a hard left handed, on with the Brake!!!!!!!!

so forza 3 training needed ;) shart moments! :D I wouldnt be gunning it unless I knew every corner to be honest, I'd say that would take AGES! hmm dont like tyres that dont hold up whne they get hot, my Goodyears actually faired pretty well around track, only thing is tha tthey didnt like the heat cycles much so are blue around the edges now = shot. :lol: Id' go for something that you can REALLY push on track, would you not just get a set of 888's or get a seperate set of slicks for the track? (not sure how you strap them onto the roof though) :D

:lol::lol: you still using that air duct setup and EBC setup??? I need to get something sorted for my car.

Played Gran Tourismo till my fingers bled!

I think I have a better perspective not just of the route but the experience of camber and track layout. I'd hope to crack a Sabine driving the Transit van.

Played Gran Tourismo till my fingers bled!

I think I have a better perspective not just of the route but the experience of camber and track layout. I'd hope to crack a Sabine driving the Transit van.

well I know how long it takes me to learn a normal track, so I'd say it'll take a few laps (years) to learn the ring! it's all about entry,corner speed and exit... (planning) so if you don't have the clear picture in the head on the layout you wont get greater times, seeing that they're SO many corners and such a long track I think it would be pretty hard learning all the knicks and knacks, that would be say x4 times cornes that I'm used to, wouldnt mind the straights since they;re just a matter of flooring it ;) Unless you get mad power and can make up for misstakes cornering....traffic would play a vital role too I guess. Crappy tyres and brakes would slow you down something massive.

Very good time Trackpig :clap::clap: It would be interesting to know how many completed laps you have at the ring to get the bigger picture ;)

IMHO not lots looking at your wide lines in loads of corners( exit of T13, entry to adenauer, metzgetfeld and Brescheid, brunchen to name a few ;) ) but its shows for sure that you have loads of trackday experince and feel for your car and with more laps under your belt at the ring and a few upgrades you will most likely beat my best time of 08:15 BTG or even Serge's(Taurim) of 08:11 B)

Your lines in hatzenbach, kallenhard and wehrseifen were spot on. The key in the Ring is very late turn into corners :thumbs:

Also surprising is how much steering inputs you are making and your body mov't :surrender: I guess the federal R compound(road tyres may not be so forgiving ;) )helps but you're a tad too aggresive for this track :teeth: The other thing i noticed is it looks like your BC coilies are set up soft which is key in the Ring :thumbs: . Most people(including myself wayback) are tempted to run too hard a setup and end up with little grip and a very understeery car.

I would recommend bigger brakes, uprated ARB and wider tyres(mininum 245/275) if you do not have this already and an oil cooler( Still to get mine :blush:).

In all i can see your track experience shines through and with the right setup and experince you can crack the 8min barrier at the Ring. This is my long term ambition but i always seem to mess up at a few corners when its all going well or just can't run beacause of traffic :bang:

Hope we can meet or plan to meet someday and use each other to run for 8mins or less B)

How did your brake cooling duct hold up? How many laps did you do back to back before they got long if at all? I will be doing mine before my final trip in october or even possibly september.

Last year the car was sort of oem apart from exhaust and NOS. this year I have the Eibach spring, hel lines, motul fluid, DBA discs and ferodo pads. So I'm hoping I'd get under 10 mins just from better braking because last time I cooked the fluid. But the. I'd still be worried about tyre's. When I go for a full weekend at the ring next year I'll have the tyre's as well. So I'm almost there. Just need to sort the driver out then :lol:

I have completed roughly 85 laps of the ring now over 7 trips and 6 years.

Practice is key but the distance and cost limits how often I can get there.

My brakes held up great, I am very pleased with them. I had zero braking problems. EBC discs, Bluestuff pads and my trusty cooling ducts.

I tend to run 2 laps back to back then take a cooling down period, this not only helps brakes but also tyres to stay at resonable temps and pressures.

I had my BC's set to 15 front and 13 rear. I was running 255/35/18's on the rear so wanted to compensate for the very stiff unforgiving sidewall. I run 15 clicks all round (30 clicks of adjustment are available) on the road, as some of you know, the ring is quite bumpy in places and not smooth like a normal race track.

@Bennet/ GT4 Z- you may well be right about some of dodgy lines. I will have to look up the corner names so I can check out where you mention my lines are off. I have not had any instruction at the ring and just "use the force" :lol: .

What I do find usefull though is to play ring lap videos side by side so I can compare different lines and speeds. I have watched Taurim vids and he is just quick all the way round! Do you have your 8.15 lap on video? I'd love to see where I am losing the time.

:drive1

85 laps is not bad but as you rightly said spread over 6years means you loose practice. So very well done to put that time. you do no have dodgy lines per say it just you turn in or brake too early in those crucial places and it means you are not set up right for the next corners and carry less speed through. In a few other places your exit is to early. eg at carousel you have to stay left all the way untill you get on smooth tarmac as if you come off to early to take the natural line going up Hoe acht you unstaedy the car quite badly due to the adverse camber change and in the wet or moist condition it result in a few disasters.

What do you think of the federals? I have always used MPS 2 N1 which are good but i know i can pick up more time with R compound but it scares me to get too much grip at my disposal :scare: I know i will abuse it just like i abuse having very good brakes.

Its nice to know the corners so you can relate to the same things and its not as had as you think to remember :p

Unfortunately i have no videos for that lap as its only recently that i started using recording equipement and even so its a nightmare to get it as you need to be careful. I have an a couple of 08:30-40 and have been trying to uplaod them but my service is so slow that i have given up :scare: I will ask wasso to do this for me when i get to see him :p

Taurim is very good and he runs with TC fully disconnected( Not just just turning the swith on/off. He sent me the DIY mod but scare to mess with electrics and more so i am happy with just turning the switch off or on :teeth:

I'll sent you a corner by corner line analysis video in real time and slow motion which will show you all you need to know including braking and turning landmarks. I found this as good as have a local instructor.

cheers

That sound good to me, cheers.

I have all tcs systems switched off. I know its been discussed on here but thats the way I like to drive the car.

I really do rate the federal tyres. I purchased 235/40/18's and 255/35/18's for the rear. They drive well on the road and grip better than any road tyre ive used, they are better than hankook rs2's in my opinion. I have not drive in the wet on them though. They have worn very smoothly and have not torn or worn the edges. They were around £540 delivered for the set :thumbs:

Taurim is very good and he runs with TC fully disconnected( Not just just turning the swith on/off. He sent me the DIY mod but scare to mess with electrics and more so i am happy with just turning the switch off or on :teeth:

Just unplug the three plugs near the brake fluid reservoir. You lose ABS, but it gets rid of the stability control too. :thumbs:

A friend of mine recently did a 8.3* in a 200SX with 250hp, pretty much shadowing a Belgian racecar instructor in a GT2. He can talk you through the whole circuit (every corner, every name of every corner) from memory though, nothing beats knowledge at the Ring. :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

This is a good read for me. I went to the ring last year and only managed 9.23. It was my first time there and a I had a standard chassis with crap tyres. The trip was more a sightseeing thing than being serious. However after being there I got the bug. I now have HKS coilovers, Eibach anti roll bars. The federal rsr tyres and the brake cooling ducts. Looks like I just need the oil cooler. I did some track time at donington and the difference with the new setup is massive. I cant wait to go back to the ring this year. My aim was for just getting under 9 mins but now I am hoping for much less haha. I am too scrared to turn off the traction control though. Its more to do with avoiding a catastrophe than anything else. I am @*!# hot on go karts so I dont know why I am like that with the zed.

Can I ask where you got the tyres for £540 as I paid £700. I will only ever get these tyres now.

cheers

• 4 months later...

I have a question about and the ring times having never been there. As far as I am aware, you don't start at the start/finish line, you begin on the straight, so are these times from where you enter the track to where you have to pull off, or can you do 2 laps without stopping and start your timers at the real start/finish line?