New personal best at the Nurburgring

trackpig

I have a question about and the ring times having never been there. As far as I am aware, you don't start at the start/finish line, you begin on the straight, so are these times from where you enter the track to where you have to pull off, or can you do 2 laps without stopping and start your timers at the real start/finish line?

During public access or touristenfarhten in German you cannot do a complete flying lap. Customarily you time your lap from bridge to gantry(BTG). This time is about 30-40 secs less than a full lap depending on the car.

The bridge (with Bilsteins advert) is as you go down to Tiergarten some 800yrds of the barriers and the gantry (with Audi advert) is at the end of galgenkoph or the beginning of Dottinger hohe (straights).

You can through the barrier on Dottinger straights or in and out through the car park barrier during TF if you wanted to do back to back laps but these areas are coned so its a crawl through. If you are really interested in doing a proper full lap then you need to book a private trackday. There are loads to choose from but cost more.

Google search is your friend but if you need specifics I can help.

The only thing with practising on Forza or Gran Turismo is that you will sat in front of a TV.

No matter how many hours you spend on a games console, it will not prepare you for:

- sensation of speed

- g-forces from elevation drops and corners

- sensation of shitting your pants while experiencing both of the above :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did a rough time of 12:00 BTG according to CCTV pics in the damp and being my virgin lap too :D

nbr001.jpg

nbr004.jpg

You're 100% right about using games to practice, however, at least after 100 laps or so of the 'Ring on the PS3 or Xbox, you should have learnt the track pretty well and be able to take reasonable racing lines knocking minutes off your time compared to if you had never done a lap, virtual or otherwise.

The only thing with practising on Forza or Gran Turismo is that you will sat in front of a TV.

No matter how many hours you spend on a games console, it will not prepare you for:

- sensation of speed

- g-forces from elevation drops and corners

- sensation of shitting your pants while experiencing both of the above :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did a rough time of 12:00 BTG according to CCTV pics in the damp and being my virgin lap too :D

nbr001.jpg

nbr004.jpg

By all means, drive the ring on the PS3 and learn it like the back of your virtual hand but do not think you know the place in real life.

Get over there and do a couple of laps then you will understand :thumbs:

I am thinking of hitching the bike trailer up and taking the GSXR across again for some knee down action in the near future, now that is scary!

You're 100% right about using games to practice, however, at least after 100 laps or so of the 'Ring on the PS3 or Xbox, you should have learnt the track pretty well and be able to take reasonable racing lines knocking minutes off your time compared to if you had never done a lap, virtual or otherwise.

it's a nice thought but it really sint the same, on forza 3/4 the track is not really anything like reality. it has the right left's and rights and that's about it. The gradient on the corners is flatter in the game and the corners aren't as sharp.

Certainly by doing a few laps on the game it will help some of it be more familiar, but you have to take it slow. I was told by an ex tester there it takes about 10 laps to know roughly the lefts and rights 100 laps to be able to go through safely at speed and about another 500 to really know it and go flat out.

• 1 month later...