How To - Adjust Clutch Pedal

D4XNY

Just done this mod on our new Zed.

One word - amazing!!! :D

Before the pedal was very high and the bite was too obviously. Now the clutch pedal is level with the brake pedal, and the bite & pedal feel totally normal :) We have got a clutch from Zman to fit in the new year too, so it should be excellent then :D

Took me about 30 minutes after looking at the guide. That included removing the ECU to gain access to the cruise control sensor so I could adjust it correctly. I think the hardest part is getting yourself situated under the dash lol - back ache anyone?

Top marks to D4XNY for the excellent guide :thumbs:

Not just back ache. After about 15 minutes all of the blood on my body was at the top of my skull. My legs were over the back of the seat and all of my weight was more or less on my neck.

It took me about 2 hours to recover, felt really really green for quite a while..

• 1 month later...

I tried this mod, very good guide BTW :)

Managed to undo the lock nut, then turn the piston enough to get 3 threads showing through the gold U clip, cant turn it anymore, need more pressure/grippier plyers!

Just did this mod, it's a great guide and I found it very easy, and this is me, who is completely useless at DIY things. I am however pretty slim and can see how hard it would be for someone a bit "larger" to fit upside down into the footwell.

Took it for a little spin just for a couple of miles and I'm not totally sure I haven't went too far with it. There is no gear grind and doesn't seem to pull at all with the clutch in, even if I drop down from 6th to 2nd, but with the clutch in it does idle a little higher than normal when the car is moving, maybe this is normal and never noticed before? When stopped it's idling at about 700 which is correct, but more like 750-800 when moving, no change when I move the shifter into different gears.

As I said, I only took her for a very short run out of precaution and may just need to warm up.

Does anything sound suspicious that I have mentioned that may indicate i've lowered it too much, before I take it out for a proper drive and possibly burn the clutch out? BTW, it's not sitting too much lower than the brake, up to 10mm i'd say but no way of accurately measuring it.

Kyle

Haha!

We've just had the clutch replaced, and it was biting about half an inch off the floor because I had done this mod previously :blush:

Re-adjusted again though, took even less time than before and its now lovely again :D

Just a little tip;

If you want to have the clutch pedal level with the brake pedal, but still be able to adjust the biting position with this mod - Simply undo the bolt holding the Cruise Control sensor on, wind the sensor down so that when the clutch pedal is released it sits level with the brake pedal, then tighten the bolt back up :) You can now use the guide to adjust the biting position to how you like it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just done it this morning and it really does improve the way it drives, mine had a harsh jolt from the pedal right at the top of its travel and was making setting off a bit of an art but thats not an issue now. I also had to adjust the clutch switch so the cruise still worked which was staright forward.

Nice easy fix to a little annoying problem!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Is this true? came across it while searching the net?

If you do reduce the swing of the pedal, you're also going to have to adjust the master cylinder to compensate. When you lower the clutch pedal, you will also have to shorten the pistonicon1.png length on the master, otherwise the clutch will not fully engage and it will slip when you really get on it.

Did this earlier , been putting it off for ages , total doddle to do.

If you open the drivers door wide and lean into the car you can just lean forward and look up

At the nut and the spline you need to turn. You don't need to climb in the car.

You just need a torch , spanner and long nose pliers.

Honestly took no longer than 10 mins to adjust and glue a spacer on

• 2 months later...

Done this over the weekend! my god what a difference, being 6ft2 my foot would always end up sort of resting on the pedal, made me feel cramped. This is no longer an issue! No more kangooring out of junctions! However, the only issue I get is with the cruise control, I added to little rubber feet but sometimes the clutch doesn't return all the way out and hence the cruise control isn't able to be set, it if pull it up with my foot it resolves this though. This doesn't happen all the time so not sure if I need to plug the gap a bit more. My pedal looks to be about 20mm behind the brake pedal now.