Pies, lovely lovely pies, pie appreciation thread

Willy P

Seeing as there's so many pie fanatics on this thread I thought I'd share this pic of what's possibly the best example of 'fusion' food ever seen. I saw them in a high class shop in the high class town of Ellesmere Port a few weeks back and got so excited that I had to take a picture:

Pies.jpg

Unfortunately I was so excited by the concept I forgot to buy any.

S.

PS...I hope I get my Zed back from the garage soon - been at the garage for a week now! Getting rather bored hence uploading pictures of pies on the internet :bangin:

Seeing as there's so many pie fanatics on this thread I thought I'd share this pic of what's possibly the best example of 'fusion' food ever seen. I saw them in a high class shop in the high class town of Ellesmere Port a few weeks back and got so excited that I had to take a picture:

Pies.jpg

Unfortunately I was so excited by the concept I forgot to buy any.

S.

Wow.... may have to get some of those and write a review on them for my blog...

http://pie-reviews.blogspot.com/

lasagne pies? Nothing new there! Get them at ever baker in this bit of Scotland.... I like a macaroni pie better myself.

If you like your pies got on the Hoon and get yourself to Loch Inver pie shop!

That's no problem neo, I like the way this thread has turned. I like talking about pies, in fact I encourage it. In the cold dark winters of the early 90s all my parents could afford was Tesco pie and boiled potatoes for dinner. This was back when bad pies really were bad pies, before they brought in minimum standards etc. We used to make a chicken and mushroom pie last between the four of us on those cold evenings. Oh how I dreamed of curries and steak. They were bad times for me. The way this thread has turned has in fact had a positive effect on me as it's enabled me to face old demons and have a positive spin on pies. I am seeing this as being like therapy.

:blink:

that is actually your blog aswell isn't it :lol: bloody legend :#1:

:thumbs:

it's enabled me to face old demons and have a positive spin on pies. I am seeing this as being like therapy.

I think Pie standards have increased drastically over the last 10 years, apart from the good (or bad) old Frey Bentos pie which seems to remain the same (speaking of which, they are on offer for £1 a pie down Netto). I know ive been very impressed with the Tesco pies of late. I just wish there was more selection, they seem to all have the established "favourites" like steak and onion, chicken and veg etc.. Would be nice to see more pigeon or rabbit pies. Luckily I make my own game pies, but sometimes you want that convenience of opening a packet and bunging it in the oven when your late home from work.

guess some people are too proud to be seen in lidl/aldi etc etc :shrug:

I've got to be honest Carla talked me into going to Aldi the other day 'its really good, basically it'll cut the food bill in half and its all just as good'.........fair enough lets give it a crack.

3 minutes I lasted before I could actually feel the life being sucked out of me - that store is like a giant Dementor!

The people in there looked like they were either dead, dying or wanted to die.

Nothing to do with being proud - if I had no money I'd shop there but jesus! Picking through rebranded food that I just don't get! If you don't mind 'own brand' foods then just go to a normal supermarket and buy 'own brand'..........then you don't have to deal with human detritus dragging their weary carcasses around Aldi!

The best way I can associate the experience is with is going to a 'shopping centre' or a 'precinct' in one of those little towns that was economically and socially left behind in the 1980s - Runcorn, Widnes, Ellesmere Port all spring instantly to mind from my area........filled with weary souls sporting alcoholic odors, behemothic teenage mums sporting fluorescent tracksuits and Elizabeth Duke Jewelery (2 carat gold 'mum' matching necklace and ring set), the 'roid engraged musclebound 'otherhalf' who insists on wearing a vest even though its January (usually sporting the names of his various progeny tattoo'd on his neck), old women with whispy beards and a cat in their handbag....... and finally lest we forget the WW2 veteran painfully shuffling along with an armful of Aldi bags because his state pittance won't stretch to a weeks shopping from Tesco.

...........what were were talking about again? Oh yeah!...........keep the car if you can stay out of Aldi mate :thumbs:

Top notch writing mate....conjured up the imagery perfectly....

I have to say though, I've shopped at Lidl and Aldi, and there are a couple of items there that I enjoy much more over the Sainsburys stuff. Example is this cheery cocnut tart that I could only ever find in Aldi, and I think Lidl does this awesome Orange stuffing Pork Roast, it's the nicest pork roast I've ever had, couldn't believe it when my Mother in Law told me she bought it from Lidl, this was two Xmas's ago.

Legend indeed, I was a bit disappointed that you say you always serve pies with the same food for bench marking purposes, but then proceed to test a pie with star shaped chips. I mean WTF, that's bound to skew the overall rating against the same pie with new potatoes and peas surely :lol:

Legend indeed, I was a bit disappointed that you say you always serve pies with the same food for bench marking purposes, but then proceed to test a pie with star shaped chips. I mean WTF, that's bound to skew the overall rating against the same pie with new potatoes and peas surely :lol:

:lol: shhhhhhh.... you`ll ruin my image talking about star shaped chips. In all fairness, that was one of the early reviews before I started sticking to potatoes. And I did have to add some extra gravy to make the chips more soggy and more non-chip like. You`ll notice I always use peas as the vegetable of choice however. :thumbs:

Anyway, all this talk of pies is making me hungry now! Luckily I have literally a freezer full at home waiting to be reviewed! :)

• 3 weeks later...

it's enabled me to face old demons and have a positive spin on pies. I am seeing this as being like therapy.

I think Pie standards have increased drastically over the last 10 years, apart from the good (or bad) old Frey Bentos pie which seems to remain the same (speaking of which, they are on offer for £1 a pie down Netto). I know ive been very impressed with the Tesco pies of late. I just wish there was more selection, they seem to all have the established "favourites" like steak and onion, chicken and veg etc.. Would be nice to see more pigeon or rabbit pies. Luckily I make my own game pies, but sometimes you want that convenience of opening a packet and bunging it in the oven when your late home from work.

Can you write a blog on the waitrose chicken pie. I hear it is the pie of kings.

Can you write a blog on the waitrose chicken pie. I hear it is the pie of kings.

hmmm.. ive just had had a tesco deep filled chicken pie and im not too impressed - ive updated the blog with my review.

There is a waitrose down the road from me, but I dread to think how much their pies cost.... but I think i`ll have worked my way through all the tesco pies by the end of the month, so may have to move onto waitrose!!!

hmmm.. ive just had had a tesco deep filled chicken pie and im not too impressed - ive updated the blog with my review.

There is a waitrose down the road from me, but I dread to think how much their pies cost.... but I think i`ll have worked my way through all the tesco pies by the end of the month, so may have to move onto waitrose!!!

I'm pretty sure we could club in £1 each to help you in your review. Lol. I would do it but I'm not a pie connoisseur. :lol:

I'm told the roast chicken pie is the one to go for :lol:

The waitrose roast chicken one or the waitrose heston roast chicken, ham & leak one? The heston one sounds amazing... whereas the waitrose roast chicken one loose suspiciously like the tescos deep fill chicken one. Have to admit I prefer my steak pies however. But, if i remember in the week i`ll pop down Waitrose for you!

I use large ramakins for my pies. Fillings:- Beef or sometimes venison in red wine with whole mushrooms ( cooked for 3-4 hours, allowed to cool then put in the ramakin with a home made puff pastry lid ( healthier). Stewed rabbit with root veg and potatoes, kleftico lamb (spiced lamb in tomatoes,potatoes and also do chicken pie which is stewed chicken leg meat in white wine,garlic,and veg.

I sometimes make larger pies as well and have been known to make the odd rhubarb and apple pies but desserts arent really my thing.

TOW types of Pie I despise ...........chicken and mushroom (cream yuk) and fishpie....... :yuck: