Pies, lovely lovely pies, pie appreciation thread

Willy P

Being a bit of a "pie'd aphile" myself I can't believe I have missed this tread to date!

Please see my humble contribution to all things pie below

This was taken on board the USS Missouri ( where the japs got dealt up by the yanks after WW2 and more recently, in the film under siege). Now parked and clamped in Pearl Harbour!

d0c62b9d.jpg

Recently I have been thinking; "I wonder how much info about pies we can fit into one thread, i.e. brands, fillings, pastry etc." So, please write anything you want about pies in this thread, perhaps there's someone out there that has a blog that he keeps updated with different pies and rates them. If there is, they should have their rank changed from "Z fanatic" to perhaps "The Pie Minister", what do you think mods?

Don't worry about me and my problem with potentially having to sell the zed, it's fine, the talk of pies is therapeutic on cold wet days such as today.

P.S. I'm keeping the zed now, so the old thread was useless anyway....

:teeth:

Good news all around really, this thread has brightened up peoples day, helped them swap healthy pie recipes, and best of all, you are keeping the zed!!!! Thats excellent news!!! :)

EH370z - Not a word of a lie, i could probably eat half those pies in one sitting!!!! :thumbs:

Well, as requested, I called in Waitrose on the way home... no hanging around here!!!

2011-08-23195336.jpg

Not only did I get the chicken pie, I couldnt resist a couple of cheeky steak and mushroom pies also. I was going to get the Heston one, but at £3.89 for a small pie it was well over my price range!

I`ll try these later in the week, ive had pie for 2 nights running this week, so i`ll have a healthy break tonight and have pizza instead. :thumbs:

Checkout my blog later in the week for the reviews....

http://pie-reviews.blogspot.com/

Well, as requested, I called in Waitrose on the way home... no hanging around here!!!

2011-08-23195336.jpg

Not only did I get the chicken pie, I couldnt resist a couple of cheeky steak and mushroom pies also. I was going to get the Heston one, but at £3.89 for a small pie it was well over my price range!

I`ll try these later in the week, ive had pie for 2 nights running this week, so i`ll have a healthy break tonight and have pizza instead. :thumbs:

Checkout my blog later in the week for the reviews....

http://pie-reviews.blogspot.com/

You have actually purchased the pies - that's a quick turnaround time! I'm mighty impressed. I can't wait to read your review - if it's a good enough read I might pay for your pie and try and secure you a pie review column in men's health magazine. :lol:

What are your initial impressions of the waitrose purchasing, packaging and does it weight fill you with any kind of meat filled confidence?

You have actually purchased the pies - that's a quick turnaround time! I'm mighty impressed. I can't wait to read your review - if it's a good enough read I might pay for your pie and try and secure you a pie review column in men's health magazine. :lol:

What are your initial impressions of the waitrose purchasing, packaging and does it weight fill you with any kind of meat filled confidence?

I dont hang about mate. Strike while the irons hot and all that....

Initial impressions... Well, Waitrose does have a certain "quality" feel about their pies, it looks very tasty from the packaging, as always they show an awesome looking pie, with filling ousing out. But then I felt the same about the Tesco Deep Fill pies and they were a very sad disappointment. In fact they were the lager shandy of pies. :(

Having had the waitrose pizza tonight, have to say it was totally awesome. One of the best ive tried. If this succulent looking pie is anything like their pizzas then im in for a treat!

In fact, after ive reviewed all the pies in the world I may have to move onto Pizza reviews. :thumbs:

Initial impressions... Well, Waitrose does have a certain "quality" feel about their pies, it looks very tasty from the packaging, as always they show an awesome looking pie, with filling ousing out. But then I felt the same about the Tesco Deep Fill pies and they were a very sad disappointment. In fact they were the lager shandy of pies. :(

Having had the waitrose pizza tonight, have to say it was totally awesome. One of the best ive tried. If this succulent looking pie is anything like their pizzas then im in for a treat!

In fact, after ive reviewed all the pies in the world I may have to move onto Pizza reviews. :thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol: Aww, this thread is too awesome. Make sure you drop me a PM for the review when it's in.

Pizza reviews would be fab, i keep trying different ones as ive gone of deep pan but not over keen on the stonebaked rock hard bases.

Anyway best pie imo is Birdseye individual chicken pies as shown in the pic below. Just be very careful tho as the filling tends to be hotter than thermite when they come out the oven :lol: Try one and lwt me know what you think.

23638011_H.jpg

Pizza reviews would be fab, i keep trying different ones as ive gone of deep pan but not over keen on the stonebaked rock hard bases.

Anyway best pie imo is Birdseye individual chicken pies as shown in the pic below. Just be very careful tho as the filling tends to be hotter than thermite when they come out the oven :lol: Try one and lwt me know what you think.

23638011_H.jpg

Cheers for the heads up, i will definately have to give that birdseye pie a go. Looks nice from the picture!

Pizza wise, ive been having a lot of the iceland £1 pizzas, they are good value for money, and co-op do 2 stone baked pizzas for £4. Waitrose have an offer on atm, 2 huge pizzas for £5 in a variety of very flash sounding toppings. I had the "hand stretched thin & crispy with chestnut mushrooms, bacon and mascarpone" last night and it was incredible. Easily better than what you`d get in pizza express. Very tasty and i`ll definately be getting that again!

Forgot to add another not exactly a pie but close enough....................something to do with your leftovers from roast lamb. slice a bit of lamb left over ( handful), schop up a left over roastie (can be a boiled but the extra crunch is better imho) and a small amount of left over carrot into small cubes. mix about 50ml of left over gravy with a teaspoon of mint sauce and then mix all of the above together. Lay out a defrosted sheet of ready made puff pastry and cut in half. add above mixture to the middle of the half and fold over and crimp all the sides so you have what looks like an uncooked slice that you get from greggs/supermarket etc. Score the top diagonally a couple of times and pop in the oven till the pastries cooked.

Im not a cook/chef etc so my explanation above prob aint the best but you get the idea. try it its so easy and tastes awesome.

Forgot to add another not exactly a pie but close enough....................something to do with your leftovers from roast lamb. slice a bit of lamb left over ( handful), schop up a left over roastie (can be a boiled but the extra crunch is better imho) and a small amount of left over carrot into small cubes. mix about 50ml of left over gravy with a teaspoon of mint sauce and then mix all of the above together. Lay out a defrosted sheet of ready made puff pastry and cut in half. add above mixture to the middle of the half and fold over and crimp all the sides so you have what looks like an uncooked slice that you get from greggs/supermarket etc. Score the top diagonally a couple of times and pop in the oven till the pastries cooked.

Im not a cook/chef etc so my explanation above prob aint the best but you get the idea. try it its so easy and tastes awesome.

I got a pie maker for my birthday which lets you do just that. Any left overs, chop up, bung in it with some ready rolled pastry and hey presto nice little pies for snacks!

Right, just had the Waitrose pie....

for the verdict check out the blog....

http://www.piereviews.co.uk

If anyone else has any requests let me know. I have to really thank Cragus here for alerting me to this pie. :thumbs:

What a write up and I even got a mention! :lol::teeth: I genuinely believe you could get a pie column in nuts magazine. I'd have to fix your spelling though. :lol:

PM me your paypal - the Heston pie is on me. :thumbs:

If anyone else has any requests let me know. I have to really thank Cragus here for alerting me to this pie. :thumbs:

What a write up and I even got a mention! :lol::teeth: I genuinely believe you could get a pie column in nuts magazine. I'd have to fix your spelling though. :lol:

Cheers mate, really appreciated. Not sure nuts would be interested in a pie column, but if someone can arrange it i wont say no! Spelling wise, ive deliberately not spell-checked any of my postings as i felt that added to the experience!

The blog is developing tho, bought a couple of domain names, now looking to host it myself. :thumbs:

Im just glad there are so many pie lovers out there, i dont feel like some weirdo on my own any more!!!

Cheers mate, really appreciated. Not sure nuts would be interested in a pie column, but if someone can arrange it i wont say no! Spelling wise, ive deliberately not spell-checked any of my postings as i felt that added to the experience!

The blog is developing tho, bought a couple of domain names, now looking to host it myself. :thumbs:

Im just glad there are so many pie lovers out there, i dont feel like some weirdo on my own any more!!!

I've emailed nuts magazine in true dragon den style telling them a pie column is the way forward and used your blog as a reference. Just wait for the offer to come rolling in! B):lol: