Pies, lovely lovely pies, pie appreciation thread

Willy P

hahahaha awesome read!

I have found the perfect steak pie though and perfect mince round.

From a butchers in a place called Dunblane. http://www.bennettsthebutcher.co.uk/

I will personally buy a pie and get it in a cool bag and send you it to do a review. I travel about 50 minutes to buy meat and pies from this butcher and i've never been dissapointed yet. :)

hahahaha awesome read!

I have found the perfect steak pie though and perfect mince round.

From a butchers in a place called Dunblane. http://www.bennettsthebutcher.co.uk/

I will personally buy a pie and get it in a cool bag and send you it to do a review. I travel about 50 minutes to buy meat and pies from this butcher and i've never been dissapointed yet. :)

Awesome . I used to get home made steak pies from my local butcher before i moved. They were fantastic. He only ever used sirloin. God im getting hungry now may have to have a pie for breakfast !!!!

EDIT: For those of you who want a heads up notification of when I review a new pie, I now have a twitter feed! http://twitter.com/piereviews :thumbs:

Tesco Value Minced Beef & Onion Pie reviewed added to the blog! 84p for 4!!! Are they like cardboard??? Find out!

Man they look a bit ropey. :lol: What I don't get is yes it's tesco own brand and it's cheaper but why do they need to box it up so shite to rub it in that you're buying cheap stuff.

Saw some new pies today in Tesco that looked pretty fit - 'The Pie Minister The Full English Pie' which contain beans, sausages, bacon and cheese! They're in posh pie packaging and £2 for one small pie (170g I think) or 2 for £3.50 so could become quite an expensive habit!

I'm trying not to get too fat so didn't purchase any and regretting it now - will like to see a review of one if you fancy it RabbitStew?

S.

Saw some new pies today in Tesco that looked pretty fit - 'The Pie Minister The Full English Pie' which contain beans, sausages, bacon and cheese! They're in posh pie packaging and £2 for one small pie (170g I think) or 2 for £3.50 so could become quite an expensive habit!

I'm trying not to get too fat so didn't purchase any and regretting it now - will like to see a review of one if you fancy it RabbitStew?

S.

wow!!!!!! they sound awesome. They will definately be on my shopping list. £2 is top wack for a small pie, but the by the sounds of them, they have to be tested by the expert. I`ll grab some next time im in tescos....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any new updates for us ?

Yep, pie reviews are still going well, I must have had 4 pies in 3 days the other week, incl one down the local pub on my "day off". :lol:

Still got loads of pies left to review though, its really amazing how many different pies the supermarkets and shops stock. Makes me so glad I started the blog though as there would be no way I could possibly remember which ones id tried and which I liked or hated. I actually popped into a Morrisons over the weekend and they have a small range of pies also, so will be looking forward to see how they compare to the other big brands.

I've had about 400 hits on the blog so far, which isn't bad being as its only been going for a couple of months. The twitter feed is going well, although I haven't really publicised it much so ive only got 25 followers - but they include Pukka pies and various restaurants & chefs !

I was actually on holiday last week and been snowed under with work, so haven't got around to emailing a pic to nuts magazine yet. I've been saving up the empty pie boxes however, so i can have them scattered around which should make a nice pic.

• 1 month later...

I was perusing the pie aisle in Sainsburys earlier (for the record we're having chicken pie tonight) and spotted the following new product which I felt duty bound to report on this thread:

pie.JPG

Contains cheese AND beans.

Were the Pie Minister pies any good?

It's definitely the weather for hot pies so if you've got any more recommendations then let me know!

Happy pieing.

S.

You still havent tested the one i sugested yet. I saw in tescos they now do family size ones of same pie http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =267460719

Ah... ive got one of those in the freezer ready to try. I actually was speaking to my brother about pies yesterday and he also recommended that one - he had a freezer full of them! (must run in the family!).

I have a t-shirt similar to that which says "Who ate all the pies" on the front of it in big letters!

I wore it when i went on to Spain earlier in the year and this really obese English family who were in the the queue at the airport in front of me were not impressed. They seemed to think I had deliberately worn it to insult them. :lol:

You still havent tested the one i sugested yet. I saw in tescos they now do family size ones of same pie http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =267460719

Ah... ive got one of those in the freezer ready to try. I actually was speaking to my brother about pies yesterday and he also recommended that one - he had a freezer full of them! (must run in the family!).

I await to read what you reckon then :D

• 1 year later...

Thought id revive this thread as its coming up to Xmas and there maybe a few people looking for pies!

Its been an interesting week for me, and just goes to show that my friends must know me too well. So far this week I have had 3 different friends come around knocking on my door and bring me pie`s for Christmas Pressies! Amazing! Ive got a Hollands Potato & Meat Pie this weekend to try which a friend bought me. Haven't had one before so im really looking forward to it.

The blog is still going well, ive even got Pukka Pies, Greggs and Pieminister following me on twitter as well as a load of restaurants and food journos. Even Sainsbury`s retweeted me to their 17,000 followers earlier in the week and ive had Pie manufacturers email me thanking me for my reviews!

I might get festive and start reviewing a few minced pies.....