Revving the car in neutral

HassanZ

If the engine is warm, no real harm mechanically.

Thanks for your reply mate :thumbs:

When would you start causing harm, when you keep it at around 6k for a prolonged period? What about revving it past the red line but not holding it there?

I've always thought it was bad due to the lack of airflow. Also heard it's hard on the gearbox/clutch?

On the other hand I've heard it's good to rev it up whilst idling to blow out the carbon particles etc clogging the system when it's not been thrashed for a while.

As Dan says no harm if the engine is warm, especially that the oil is up to temp. The rev limiter is set to save the engine from going pop - I'd imagine you could sit on it for a while with no detremental effect. Only problem would be the oil getting too hot due to lack of airflow.

When would you start causing harm, when you keep it at around 6k for a prolonged period? What about revving it past the red line but not holding it there?

I've always thought it was bad due to the lack of airflow. Also heard it's hard on the gearbox/clutch?

On the other hand I've heard it's good to rev it up whilst idling to blow out the carbon particles etc clogging the system when it's not been thrashed for a while.

Gearbox and clutch won't be engaged so won't be moving and there's no load on the engine so very little to go pop, especially with the rev limiter in play.

Blowing out the particles sounds like a myth to me, there's no real science behind that at all that I can see. A good ol' fashioned Italian tune up can help sometimes, but not just revving in neutral.

As far as holding the car at the limiter goes, whilst I wouldn't do it personally that's pretty much how they test engines to destruction. I'd be amazed if Nissan didn't do just that to the V6 in the Zed for days on end.

Gearbox and clutch won't be engaged so won't be moving and there's no load on the engine so very little to go pop, especially with the rev limiter in play.

Blowing out the particles sounds like a myth to me, there's no real science behind that at all that I can see. A good ol' fashioned Italian tune up can help sometimes, but not just revving in neutral.

As far as holding the car at the limiter goes, whilst I wouldn't do it personally that's pretty much how they test engines to destruction. I'd be amazed if Nissan didn't do just that to the V6 in the Zed for days on end.

I've seen someones engine go pop from revving it. Was a chav at Santa Pod a few years ago. It was hillarious :lol:

You will not be able to hold high revs with no load (in neutral) for a prelonged period of time as the fuel cut will operate.

This will kick in at 1800 rpm and above after a period of time, and the fuel cut will be cancelled once engine speed reaches 1500rpm.

Alex. :)

You will not be able to hold high revs with no load (in neutral) for a prelonged period of time as the fuel cut will operate.

This will kick in at 1800 rpm and above after a period of time, and the fuel cut will be cancelled once engine speed reaches 1500rpm.

Heh, learn something new everyday :thumbs:.

.....why would anyone want to do this :shrug: ?

People do it to demonstrate exhaust sounds.

:doh: Boys and toys - when will y'all learn there's no correlation between the level of noise from your exhaust and the size of your...feet :wacko::lol:

:doh: Boys and toys - when will y'all learn there's no correlation between the level of noise from your exhaust and the size of your...feet :wacko::lol:

hmmmm.....suddenly that explains alot....

Would that be some safety feature? Incase your throttle was stuck open *...toyota, cough*

hmmmm.....suddenly that explains alot....

i was gonna say, if there was, you must have huugggge feet judging by the sound of the r8 :lol:

I can confirm that on the 313 model. Was trying to start my BMW during the ice age last winter and I locked the revs at about 3k. Thought I knackered it....I almost had a heart attack :lol:

My advice is if you feel the need to do this - take a cold shower.

If you see others doing it have a rotting kipper handy and slap them really hard across the face with it.

Chavs are not allowed Zeds....its the law. :dry:

My advice is if you feel the need to do this - take a cold shower.

If you see others doing it have a rotting kipper handy and slap them really hard across the face with it.

Chavs are not allowed Zeds....its the law. :dry:

:#1:

It's true - watch from about 1m 20secs

To listen to the sound of the exhaust from the outside as you will never hear the true sound when you're inside driving it.

It's like all those You tube videos you get where people demonstrate how their exhaust sounds.

I was just curious if the engine or any other components can go pop.