who has a second car?

l-jack

Just to give me an idea really ... I'm looking at buying a 350z roadster on 07 onwards later this year maybe after summer when prices dip a little, but I'm really considering keeping my old car as a run around.

My old car I picked up REALLY cheap it's a Honda Accord on a W reg but it only has 40k on the clock with full service history. I can afford the second car.

A point to note though is unless I am on leave I only drive at the weekend, so not sure if there is much point. However sometimes I do have to move alot of kit when I regularly move and I love the park anywhere factor of a car of this age, also for golf clubs, scuba equipment etc (which is not going anywhere near my zed when I get it)

I considered keeping my old car for use in the week and driving the zed just at the weekends. My main reason was that I do 500miles a week, and my old car was doing 60mpg, tyres cost 25quid each and it cost me hardly anything to service myself.

But where the idea fell down for me was the insurance. I got loads of quotes and even though im nearly 40, and have 18 years ncb, the cost of insuring the 2nd car threw the whole idea in the bin. I would have though the insurance company would have welcomed the idea of me driving a cheap 2nd car rather than the zed in the week, as surely that would drastically reduce the risk of me having an accident or making a claim. But, instead they wanted something like 550quid on top of the 800quid the zed is costing just to insure the old banger. I was execting the zed premium to be reduced due to lack of risk, and the 2nd car costing a lot less.

So I sold the old banger now use the zed full time every day as my main car.

If you are only driving at the weekends anyway, then i wouldnt think having a second car would be worth it. You can fit load of stuff in the zed, incl golf clubs!

They keep the zed for the fun stuff.

Not having a second car, every day is a fun day :yahoo:

And with my work I have to travel all over the country........ cant think of a better car to do it in :#1:

actually rabbit and DoogyRev raise good points and I have come up with a cunning plan to combine both of my questions > insure the old man on my car for when i'm away and then arrange for me to use his Audi estate when I need a bigger car :clap: result 2 decent cars instead of one. Maybe I can chip in a bit of money when he changes his car so when I need it the car is cool instead of lame :)

And when would I ever drive an old car when the Zed is on the carpark?

RESULT well at least that's sorted just need to finish saving and for my house to sell (which in the current climate is not easy I've even offered free hugs on viewings but alas still no buyers)

I considered a second car when the mileage started climbing on the zed. Was looking at celicas for around 6-700 quid. But the insurance put me off cos u can only use ur NCB for one car so that idea was soon out the window. I now use my wifes Audi for work a few days a week and kept a few thousand miles off the zed

I've got a 2009 Kia Picanto Strike for shopping trips and family stuff.

It's not as bad to drive as you'd think and I love the contrast between the Picanto and the Zed. In India when they eat curry they don't mix it all up like Brits tend to - they alternate between plain rice and curry; the rice acts as a palate cleanser so the curry tastes good every mouthful. My Picanto is my 'palate cleanser', it helps me appreciate the Zed every time!

personally dont see the point in buyin a car to only drive every now and then, i drive my daily

Totally agree, unless you are investing in a Porsche, Aston or Ferrari then why only drive it at weekends?

Best thing about the Zed is that it can be used as an everyday car without attracting stupid amounts of attention, after over 20k in just over 18 months I know what I am talking about ;)

That said the Zed is also an 'everyman' car so I appreciate there are a lot of owners who maybe couldn't afford to run it as an everyday car. I had the choice of stretching myself to a higher Marque but then couldn't have run it everyday and still afford to service it and keep it in tip top condition, so I bought an old(ish) Zed with high mileage and have enjoyed every single mile in it !!!!! :drive1

Zed is for days when its nice and I fancy a fun drive into work. Otherwise its the campervan being driven in. I dont want to treat my baby as a daily beater, thats not why I bought her :)

Well I do 30k+ miles per year for work, got 5 kids between 18 and 9 between me and my girlfriend so the daily and most weekend driver is a Ford Galaxy with roofbox and trailer when needed for camping, breaks etc... :wave: Bit like Ronseal ... does what it says very well ....

However the Zed is for fun whenever is needed :yahoo:

personally dont see the point in buyin a car to only drive every now and then, i drive my daily

Totally agree, unless you are investing in a Porsche, Aston or Ferrari then why only drive it at weekends?

Best thing about the Zed is that it can be used as an everyday car without attracting stupid amounts of attention, after over 20k in just over 18 months I know what I am talking about ;)

Like i have said many times before it all depends on your individual circumstances. Everyone as different requirements from their vehicles. I work at a @*!# hole and for that reason only i dont use the zed for work and neither would you if you saw where i worked. :)

Like i have said many times before it all depends on your individual circumstances. Everyone as different requirements from their vehicles. I work at a @*!# hole and for that reason only i dont use the zed for work and neither would you if you saw where i worked. :)

A very fair point and that's why I posted the bit that you didn't quote :p

Pffft, my car's only a weekend car but it still does 10K fun miles a year, no point in owning something nice if you're too worried about the money involved to never drive the thing!

:drive1

I wouldn't want to use it for work though, or at least just the commute, as that would spoil the specialness of a weekend car for me. Same as when I had the Zed, loads of fun miles but zero boring ones.