£20k to spend......what to get?

Lexx

READ ALL THIS POST BEFORE JUST REPLYING!

I'm set to go from owning 2 cars, back down to 1 car. and since my insurance is about to sky rocket since my loss of NCB bonus, its time to be sensible....ish.

I intend to buy it on a Personal Contract Purchase.

ie - offset a Guarenteed minimum value of the car to pay in 3 years. Then either hand car back, or pay off, or part-ex any equity.

This means it has to be a NEW car.

and since it will be doing the 280 mils commute to work and back, its needs to be not too bad on fuel - say 35mpg min.

£20k max

The list of cars I like so far is worryingly short;

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 multiair

Volvo C30 R-Design 2.0 petrol

....and thats it!

Any other suggestions? Remember it has to be a new car.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citroen DS3 Racing. Just over budget but give it a go..........

2011-Citroen-DS3-Racing-Car-Specification.jpg

I'd love one.....but I htink there's quite a long wait, and it's limited numbers anyway.

Citroen DS3 Racing. Just over budget but give it a go..........

2011-Citroen-DS3-Racing-Car-Specification.jpg

I'd love one.....but I htink there's quite a long wait, and it's limited numbers anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is one sat in the Derby branch right now! I saw it a few times over the last two months, last time about 4 weeks ago! Go go go!

Great car, but looking at the Alfa OC, MPG isnt as good as published. We've just put in an order for the 2.0 JTDM2 140HP. We had one for test overnight and it was great. With Amanda booting it in the Zed, the Giulietta wasnt miles behind, its a great engine I found. We also got very good fuel consumption from it.

Great car, but looking at the Alfa OC, MPG isnt as good as published. We've just put in an order for the 2.0 JTDM2 140HP. We had one for test overnight and it was great. With Amanda booting it in the Zed, the Giulietta wasnt miles behind, its a great engine I found. We also got very good fuel consumption from it.

Yeah, I spotted that on the OC too.

Im taking a 1.4 lusso out for a drive tomorrow afternoon to see how I get on with it.

How long they quoted you for delivery?

I think this is a mistake for you mate... You cant change your mind once you're in. And why spend all that money on a run of the mill car?? You're insurance wont be that bad for that many years will it?

Have to do it this way for financial reasons that I ain't going to go into.

I've bought a car using this process before. Basically it will massively reduce my monthly outgoings on cars (by almost 70%).

Also I have had zero interest in the Aussie V8 private sale, so looking at part-ex'ing.

Golf? Dont know how much they are, maybe more than 20k.

BUT they are quick cars with a 1.9 tdi and will return 65 MPG, maybe more if sensibly driven.

My thoughts exactly. Ive had 3 golfs in the past as company. 2 were brand new and im pretty sure the list price came in at less than 20k. In fact 16k seems to ring a bell and then I spec`d it up with extra bits which took it up to 20k. I had the 1.6FSI first which was a bit sluggish, but then had the 1.9TDI and that was awesome. Loads of torque, very smooth, relaxing, comfortable drive and was averaging 63mpg on long trips and 54mpg on a more typical 50% town, 50% motorway driving. Didnt have any major expenses or problems in the 4 years and 90k miles I had it. Tyres lasted 40k a set, brake discs & pads also lasted 80k a set, I got around 600miles on a tank full of diesel and the boot space was awesome - moved house using the car without any problems.

I had a Scirocco 1.4TSi (super charged and turbo charged 160bhp version) as a company car for 6 months and it was absolutely awesome. It looks fantastic (much better than the Alfa in my opinion) and performance wise 0-60 in 8 seconds for a 1400cc engine is quite amazing. Easily acheives 35mpg on the motorway probably looking at a bit more, just need to make sure you set the computer on comfort mode (better fuel economy, softer suspension etc). Interior is VW quality, solid paneling, nothing feels like its going to fall out or the like. Can't go wrong with it really...