• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a Mountune Focus ST gets 27mph - is that enough? :shrug:

27mph is no good to anyone! :wacko:

:lol:

It's all on hold at the moment anyway.

Part-ex values are coming nowhere near what I want for the VXR8.

To be honest I think if you are taking a PCP route to your new car, the monthly budget & deposit would be a fairer test, as the list price only gives half the story depending on rate of depreciation. This may also open up a few more options for you too.

To pick up on your Alfa thought, if space isnt a massive issue you may want to concider the Mito Cloverleaf, my wife has one and loves it, but it only does 32 to the gallon...

READ ALL THIS POST BEFORE JUST REPLYING!

I'm set to go from owning 2 cars, back down to 1 car. and since my insurance is about to sky rocket since my loss of NCB bonus, its time to be sensible....ish.

I intend to buy it on a Personal Contract Purchase.

ie - offset a Guarenteed minimum value of the car to pay in 3 years. Then either hand car back, or pay off, or part-ex any equity.

This means it has to be a NEW car.

and since it will be doing the 280 mils commute to work and back, its needs to be not too bad on fuel - say 35mpg min.

£20k max

The list of cars I like so far is worryingly short;

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 multiair

Volvo C30 R-Design 2.0 petrol

....and thats it!

Any other suggestions? Remember it has to be a new car.

I assume that this is cheaper than a straight loan??

In principal yes, they tend to be subsidied by the manufacture generally, as they have a vested interest in getting your return business in three years, but this is not true for all. These days most of the best offers are posted on the websites to be fair, but dont be put off by more expensive cars, as their residual values can be better, therefore the bit in the middle (which you essentailly pay for) could be similar to a regualr car.

In our case Alfa are doing the finance on a 2.4%APR, so way cheaper than most loans ;)

But it's not the rate I'm asking about, its the method of purchase which is restricting the purchase to new cars.

In principal yes, they tend to be subsidied by the manufacture generally, as they have a vested interest in getting your return business in three years, but this is not true for all. These days most of the best offers are posted on the websites to be fair, but dont be put off by more expensive cars, as their residual values can be better, therefore the bit in the middle (which you essentailly pay for) could be similar to a regualr car.

But what about the huge depreciation hit that any new car will take? The interest rate my be lower that a loan but your paying for huge depreciation across those three years.

Thats what I was driving at, the car and the price of it doesnt matter on a PCP to an extent its the cost per month that is the concideration. If the car is not worth anything at the end of the three year send it back to the finance company! Best practise for a PCP deal is to put a relativly small deposit down and an affordable payment per month. So if the car goes back all you have lost is the deposit, the monthly rental is just the cost of ownership. Hope this makes sense..

In our case Alfa are doing the finance on a 2.4%APR, so way cheaper than most loans ;)

But it's not the rate I'm asking about, its the method of purchase which is restricting the purchase to new cars.

Sorry didnt realise that you meant about new vs used/pre-reg.

my wife has a hyundai IX35 its a 2 litre diesel good mpg top spec 2wd version of the 4wd they do, and i think that was just in at 20k, really nice car, v comfy and actual got a bit of poke to it. and i enjoy driving it.

might be worth a look