350z and astra VXR

MadGrip

A friend at work has an astra VXR, bog standard and after a few discussions, we decided that we would see who could out accelerate who. so on the way home yesterday, we exited a roundabout, which entered a very wide and straight dual carridgeway. with nothing in front of me, I floored it. To my suprise, he kept with me all the way to 60mph, and said afterwards, that he still had a little left on the throttle. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a 350Z would be quicker that that, either that or my car needs to be seriously looked at.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you think that? A VXR is 240 bhp and about 300kgs lighter than a zed....

What he said ^^^^

First off: I don't condone such behaviour on public roads. And neither does the forum.

Second: YOu'll be surprised just how many cars out there carn embarass a Zed in a straight line. You gotta remember a Zed is bloody heavy, and at 280ish bhp, its not much more than most hot hatches nowadays. Hell, a Mazda 3MPS would probably have you to 60.

I two have had this with a corsa VXR. You will find after 60 you will start to pull away slowly. Thing that makes me laugh if he said he had a little more left on the throttle why didnt he use it? :shrug:

Has anyoe here tracked the two? I have tracked a VXR corsa but not a Zed, just curious what the race would be like if you added some corners in? Even if the corsa beat the Zed I would still have a Zed any day of the week! :)

VXR,s are good tools, you need alot more power to move faster away from one. I over took a Saab the other week and I only just got past him :blush: but it was OK in the end.

Lexx, do not panic about such behavior on the roads :thumbs:

the zed looks faster than she is,

proper fat girl, but a comfy rider,

have to remember the zed is a GT cruiser, not an out and out sports car. its designed to eat through the miles and help you travel in comfort, with lots of torque for overtaking without having to change down etc.

if you want a light weight racer, you need a VXR220 turbo, elise, exige, caterham etc etc etc. or an S2000, as all are proper sports cars ;)

Why would you think that? A VXR is 240 bhp and about 300kgs lighter than a zed....

What he said ^^^^

First off: I don't condone such behaviour on public roads. And neither does the forum.

Second: YOu'll be surprised just how many cars out there carn embarass a Zed in a straight line. You gotta remember a Zed is bloody heavy, and at 280ish bhp, its not much more than most hot hatches nowadays. Hell, a Mazda 3MPS would probably have you to 60.

+1. A mate of mine has a Mazda 3 mps and he is under the impression that the zed is a bit quicker, I'm not so sure, I just hope we never meet at the lights because I don't think I could ever live it down if his boring, bland, undercover demon beat the zed. The stats say the zed is quicker but the Mazda is lighter and has more torque

I was on track with an mps and the zed is alot faster. Both myself and the g man were in Wales and both were faster than focus rs300's and the mps.. This is all on video :lol: ,saying that,my 350z is evenly matched on track with 370z and as soon as my exhaust gets altered to a 3" centre section I'll be faster :teeth:eh george? Lol

I was on track with an mps and the zed is alot faster. Both myself and the g man were in Wales and both were faster than focus rs300's and the mps.. This is all on video :lol: saying than my 350z is evenly matched on track with 370z and as soon as my exhaust gets altered to a 3" centre section I'll be faster :teeth:eh george? Lol

and how much have you spent to get it to 370Z standard?

not saying its a bad thing, but out of the box standard the zed is not as quick as it looks.

I was on track with an mps and the zed is alot faster. Both myself and the g man were in Wales and both were faster than focus rs300's and the mps.. This is all on video :lol: saying than my 350z is evenly matched on track with 370z and as soon as my exhaust gets altered to a 3" centre section I'll be faster :teeth:eh george? Lol

Were either of the zeds stock at this point?

I understand the disclaimer thing, but we were doing nothing illegal, not speeding etc, he didnt use the rest of his throttle because it'd be daft to be side by side, or having to break the speed limit to overtake.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I know the zed is heavy, just guess I didnt expect the power he had. I've had evo's etc that would blow away the zed, but as has been said, for comfort mile munching, then its hard to beat

The zed is a fast car, but certainly not as quick as many other cars out there, a lot of which cost loads less than the zed does.

One of my mates has a scooby wrx which cost him around £2000 and would seriously leave my zed for dead in a race. Likewise, my track car which is a 30 year old renault 5 gt turbo would also leave my zed standing. But, i didnt buy my zed for out and out performance. I wanted a fun roadster which was fun to drive, and thats what ive got!

Sorry, stupid question, if you were both beating rs300s then obviously not stock... Oh well as soon as I have hundreds of pounds spare, I can be as cool as you :p eh Neil

It's thousand mate lol. Seriously though even in a straight line the focus rs and 350z 300ps model will be evenly matched. The 370z was almost stock except a akrapovic exhaust.

To my suprise, he kept with me all the way to 60mph, and said afterwards, that he still had a little left on the throttle.

Well if you look at the stats, 40 PS difference and 0.5 seconds slower to 60, it shouldn't be a surprise! The difference in power and acceleration could be made up for by SO many variables! In an ideal world, where you could race the two cars perfectly against one another, then don't worry, your Zed would be quicker (but not massively!)

Also, 'still had a bit left on the throttle' is the oldest excuse in the book! :p I bet he could see that after 60 you would start inching ahead but didn't want to admit it. haha

VXR's are no problem at all... through 1st and 2nd there is going to be minimal difference in these sorts of cars, 3rd onwards is where power starts to shine. 60MPH is just for pub talk, shows nothing about real power. Its a quick spurt...

Different engines have different power, i know mine is fast enough to blow an astra VXR, as i have done :) Alot of people cant drive/change gear quick enough, rev to the proper rev to get the most of the car etc etc... That plays a big part to...

The track edition 350Z, they only sell in Europe according to Wikipedia.. Pre 05 weigh 1450KG... Ive taken around 50-60KG easily out so im weighing in at around 1390KG... Astra VXR's weigh 1393KG....

Hmmm, alot of our cars are not as heavy as you think and these hatch backs are alot heavier then you think to ;)

:lol: at getting in the s2000 there!

I think my family wagon would keep up with my standard z no problem... now it got a tuned map it would probably take the z after 60mph... good thing I'll never be able to drive the two at once... think the z should have had sc or tt standard.

I had a bog standard Astra 1.8 and considered going for a VXR but so glad I didn't. 350z has kudos, Astra VXR's look like any other road car out there, no one double takes an Astra no matter how much turbo power is bolted to it. Performance wise for a VXR unless you are will to go stage 2 or 3 on tuning which starts running into £3k+ you are going to max out at around 250bhp. The older Zed can quickly get itself up to 300bhp for half that cost (exhaust spacer remap). I also found the Astra's to be what I call 'soul-less', they just lack that gusto and character. Never for one second have I regretted going for a Zed over any hot hatch.