350z and astra VXR

MadGrip

I had a bog standard Astra 1.8 and considered going for a VXR but so glad I didn't. 350z has kudos, Astra VXR's look like any other road car out there, no one double takes an Astra no matter how much turbo power is bolted to it. Performance wise for a VXR unless you are will to go stage 2 or 3 on tuning which starts running into £3k+ you are going to max out at around 250bhp. The older Zed can quickly get itself up to 300bhp for half that cost (exhaust spacer remap). I also found the Astra's to be what I call 'soul-less', they just lack that gusto and character. Never for one second have I regretted going for a Zed over any hot hatch.

Vauxhall do a chip for the vxr astra that gives an extra 50bhp for less than that. I have a buddy who's running 310 out a vxr with a few minor upgrades and a remap.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

those vxr are fast, its a turbo init however like most have said they dont handle at all!

the zed is a cracking GT cruiser but to fair is not a straight line bullet, its a shame their are so heavy.

but they make up for that on handling! for sure :)

i had a play with the new megan turbo think its rb26 or sumit on a motor way and could not match its acceleration. was only around 1/1.5 car lenghts behind tho so not that bad.

Just out of curiosity, with the DE Zed at what point is it best to change gear in terms of rpm to get the best acceleration?

Out of mine with the bolt on mods ive done/spacer etc i find it is definitely best at literally at the limiter but without hitting the limiter. So @6500RPM, or as close to.... Quite peaky power i find mine has.. I cant say for every Z

those vxr are fast, its a turbo init however like most have said they dont handle at all!

the zed is a cracking GT cruiser but to fair is not a straight line bullet, its a shame their are so heavy.

i had a play with the new megan turbo think its rb26 or sumit on a motor way and could not match its acceleration. was only around 1/1.5 car lenghts behind tho so not that bad.

Really?? Either my car is a bit strangely quick for what it is or yours is underpowered.. You should have easily pulled on the megane.. My old 190BHP EK9 type R with 1.8, weighing 1000KG could out accelerate that car slightly... They are not that fast, only have 226BHP i believe... Motorway you should have definitely pulled easily..

Really?? Either my car is a bit strangely quick for what it is or yours is underpowered.. You should have easily pulled on the megane.. My old 190BHP EK9 type R with 1.8, weighing 1000KG could out accelerate that car slightly... They are not that fast, only have 226BHP i believe... Motorway you should have definitely pulled easily..

My hero.

Just out of curiosity, with the DE Zed at what point is it best to change gear in terms of rpm to get the best acceleration?

Out of mine with the bolt on mods ive done/spacer etc i find it is definitely best at literally at the limiter but without hitting the limiter. So @6500RPM, or as close to.... Quite peaky power i find mine has.. I cant say for every Z

have you ever had your car dyno'd or are you just guessing that. Yes your horsepower will be peaking at those revs but your torque will have fallen massively. You should be changing so you're keeping within your maximum torque band. In mines its around 5500rpm but mines is a DE Revup Car so revs to 7500rpm due to the limiter being altered.

My hero.

Why the sarcasm dude? Im just stating my experiences with these cars and what should have happened under normal circumstances.

lol it was not standard matey and with how easy turbo tuning is i would guess at it being around 300bhp.

and the zeds are not slow dont get me wrong! but they are not that fast either due to weight.

Ahh see now tha makes complete sense :)

That car with 300BHP would accelerate fast being how light it is. I thought you were playing with a stocker...

My bad :)

@Neilp... Well were out drag racing most weeks and have tested it time after time.. On mine the higher you go before the gear change the better acceleration you get marginally.. I havent had it dynod yet and yes you will be right about the torque dropping off as every car does(or at least most) But in practice, on my engine at least thats how it is. Ive owned the car for 6 months now so pretty familiar with it.

@Neilp... Well were out drag racing most weeks and have tested it time after time.. On mine the higher you go before the gear change the better acceleration you get marginally.. I havent had it dynod yet and yes you will be right about the torque dropping off as every car does(or at least most) But in practice, on my engine at least thats how it is. Ive owned the car for 6 months now so pretty familiar with it.

Drag racing? Where's this at?

lol it was not standard matey and with how easy turbo tuning is i would guess at it being around 300bhp.

and the zeds are not slow dont get me wrong! but they are not that fast either due to weight.

That car with 300BHP would accelerate fast being how light it is. I thought you were playing with a stocker...

is it light is it? i have no idea lol i hate french cars so have no clue about em, it was quick tho.

but back to the astra went for a spin in a customers vxr that was around 350bhp that was amonster but only once it had stopped spinned and torque steering lol. but wouldnt go round corners :)

Ive owned 2 astra vxr's from new and a second hand vx220 turbo second hand.

My first astra vxr was a 2008 arden blue with 18 inch wheels and the second was a 59 plate saphire black with 19 inch wheels.

The car is very fast in all gears, pulls like a train in 6th gear. It is also really good on fuel, around 30mpg. It costs the same to service as a basic corsa around £120 first year and £180 second year.

My first astra was running stage 3 with around 290bhp. Panel filter, Miltek turbo back 3 inch Zorst, Bottom mounted intercooler and superchips remap on bluefin device. after 2 weeks i had to take it back and pay £1000 to fit a LSD as it simple couldn't put the power down. Wasnt much better afterwards.

Second astra was stage 1. Panel filter iradium plugs and stage 1 remap. this smothed out the original mapping on the car and sorted out some of the torque steer.

Vauxhalls maps are far to aggressive on the VXR!

I dont think you would get more bang for you buck anywhere and I know for sure that it would keep up with my Z. But for the 3+ years I owned them, the only people that commented on them or gave them a second look was the local young team and the needs.

Ive only had my Z for over a month and everyone admires it and has something to say about it (all good).

The reason why i sold my VXR was that as soon as it dropped below 10k to own one all the local A holes had them. Also the interior is very,very poor. My drivers seat needed recovered after 3k miles and started rattling soon after. Keyless entry system on cars after 2007 is excellent.

The new astra VXR looks good as it expected to have around 300bhp and vauxhall may fit the adaptive 4WD system from the insignia VXR.

I had a bog standard Astra 1.8 and considered going for a VXR but so glad I didn't. 350z has kudos, Astra VXR's look like any other road car out there, no one double takes an Astra no matter how much turbo power is bolted to it. Performance wise for a VXR unless you are will to go stage 2 or 3 on tuning which starts running into £3k+ you are going to max out at around 250bhp. The older Zed can quickly get itself up to 300bhp for half that cost (exhaust spacer remap). I also found the Astra's to be what I call 'soul-less', they just lack that gusto and character. Never for one second have I regretted going for a Zed over any hot hatch.

Vauxhall do a chip for the vxr astra that gives an extra 50bhp for less than that. I have a buddy who's running 310 out a vxr with a few minor upgrades and a remap.

No chance!!!

Drag racing? Where's this at?

In a secret location...... :boat:

No seriously, that is besides the point where and when it takes place. Im just stating how my engine operates with actual practice in racing scenarios.

is it light is it? i have no idea lol i hate french cars so have no clue about em, it was quick tho.

but back to the astra went for a spin in a customers vxr that was around 350bhp that was amonster but only once it had stopped spinned and torque steering lol. but wouldnt go round corners :)

Yeah it weighs 1220KG so with 300BHP it would be a goer alright lol... Yeah FWD will do that, wasting power through the lower gears.. I have a 320BHP 2.0liter turbo starlet stripped to bare weighing 800-900KG and is all over the shop lol, but 3rd gear onwards its a demon.

No chance!!!

Its the astra vxr with the black grills. Vauxhall deliver them with 265bhphttp://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/2840121.htm it's similar to that one, Its had a different turbo and custom manifold and mahoosive front mount intercooler put on it along with tuning and dynoed 310@fw. Rs tuning on here had one in when I was down and it dynoed 367 just before mines went on.

Edit meant to add the one at rs was running on low boost as it kept getting knock when running in the boost. They were saying it should have dynoed well above that.

No chance!!!

Its the astra vxr with the black grills. Vauxhall deliver them with 265bhphttp://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/2840121.htm it's similar to that one, Its had a different turbo and custom manifold and mahoosive front mount intercooler put on it along with tuning and dynoed 310@fw. Rs tuning on here had one in when I was down and it dynoed 367 just before mines went on.

Edit meant to add the one at rs was running on low boost as it kept getting knock when running in the boost. They were saying it should have dynoed well above that.

EVERY astra VXR has exactly the same power when stock. The Nuremburg edition, The racing edition and finally the Artic edition all have the exact power as the standard car. The only difference is cosmetic. Except for the nurenburg which come with a remus exhaust as standard.

The car simply cant deliver any more power in the first 3 gears, unless you fit a diff and that dosent help much. As far as the torque steer is concerned it's bad! Understeer is a problem but not as bad as people make out. I would Sh**e myself in the corners before the car would lose traction in the dry.

Well, my VXR would have you all.

And I'm the 'ardest man on my block.

:yawn:

:lol:

Lol, exactly thats why ive now got a Z. ;)

I was being serious.

I have a VXR8....

There was an optional upgrade for chip I'm sure he said for and extra 50ps. I'll find a link. Here it is http://drivingspirit.com/vauxhall-astra-vxr-tweaked-by-vxr-performance-centre/ ill hunt the official link in a moment.

The one at rs tuning was a normal edition vxr but running crazy power. They also have a ford puma running 600@front wheels I'm sure they were saying.