419 scams - explained and fightback Ricey Style!

Ricey

This seems to come up periodically and people ask if its for real..........they're not..........they never are and the bottom line if an email buyer doesn't want to inspect the car or negotiate on price then they usually one of these boys.

So there are a few variations I'm aware of;

1. A bankers draft for the full value will be offered. You will bank it, it will clear, then it will be clawed back because its a fake the bank cannot reconcile it with the originating bank.

2. They want details of your car, full details, pictures ETC. They put phantom adverts up and fleece deposits out of people who they will 'hold' the car for.

3. The one below. Wants the car but out of the country at the moment and needs to pay the agent to come and pick the car up......so you will need to do it for him. You get a fake Paypal email saying you've been credit with funds to cover cost of car and the agents fee then the idea is that you don't check this properly with Paypal and you instead send the money off to the agents.

You shouldn't engage them but I can't resist and in the interests of providing an end to end example I took this one from start to (nearly) finish.

1st email

Sent: 07 April 2011 11:13

To: Rice, Paul

Subject: Re: MAZDA 5 MAZDA MX-5 1.6i 2dr Convertible £1995

Thanks for your email.I agree with the price and I'm please with the condition of the vehicle,I am originally from The 22 Cherry Tree Close Owls moor Sandhurst Berkshire GU47 0UH,i'm an Oceania/Marine Engineer and i am currently in the sea and i am buying this for my self due to the personal interest i have in it,i am at sea right now and I can only pay through PayPal due to the fact that i have my bank account attached to my PayPal and PayPal is very safe and secure,At the moment i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account i do hope you understand as PayPal is very safe, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments,if you do not have a PayPal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at http://www.PayPal.co.uk i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up and handling to my location, So do let me know if you have a PayPal account or you will have to sign up for one as i am ready to seal this deal with you, Thanks

Regards

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

My response;

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11.20 AM, Rice, Paul wrote:

I probably need to mention to you now that the car does have a small issue with it.

Recently I hit a neighbours dog with the car and it was sucked into the grill. Now the neighbour hasn't had chance to extract their beloved pet from the grill yet so its been cooking against the radiator for a few days.

I suppose I need to ensure that you are happy with the following 2 issues first;

1. Are you happy with the neighbour reclaiming the carcass of his pet. In the event of your requiring the car urgently you may have to make arrangements to re-unite the dog to my neighbour by courier or post (at his cost of course).

2. Would a slight odour of a barbequed dog put you off the car.

I eagerly await your response.

Jeffs response

Sent: 07 April 2011 11:25

I will be happy to buy the car if really you're willing to sell it since the car is still with you..

Me

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Rice, Paul wrote:

Mr Cole this is truly brilliant news. I didn't think I'd be able to sell with such an unusual problem - as you can appreciate there aren't too many people who are prepared to take on a car with a rotting corpse in it.

Whilst we're on the matter I think there may be a squirrel living in the car. Now he's never caused me any problems and I've not noticed any damage caused but I'm pretty sure he's in there. Every now and again you can hear a 'squeaaaaak cheeep cheep' noise and its never in the same place.

My paypal address is tossonmyface@gmail.com I appreciate this is a little unusual but I can assure you it is correct. I was previously involved in the adult film industry hence the paypal address.

If you have any problems with this please let me know.

When will your agent be picking the car up?

Then I got the blurb about the fact he needed to pay his agent and had no credit card with him while he was away at sea ETC (left that one in work) followed by this

Sent: 07 April 2011 11:50

Hello,I was just about to made the payment, when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from my pick up agent...He said he won't be coming to pick up the car unless i pay him the agent commission fee first,In order to be able to schedule a pick up time,and my pick up agent head quarters is in the UAE and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the UAE and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring aboard the ship,and there is no walmart or any western union agent on sea! so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees,which i will include the £950 they charged to pick it up and take it to my home(1st class treatment), to the payments i will make through paypal,after i have made the payments,i will need you to help me send the £950 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer,the western union money transfer can be made at a walmart near to you,there is always a western union agent at most walmart or online at http://www.westernunion.com.I will be making the payments shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done.

Sent: 07 April 2011 11:59

Subject: Payment has been made

I just want to inform you that i have just completed the payment and i hope you must have been notified in you email about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your e-mail for confirmation of payment, I have just make the payment of £3,050,i have decided to add the amount of £1,050 which i paid through PayPal, So please i will like you to help me wire the sum of £950 to my agent via western union so he can be able to come for the pick up and also PayPal said they won't release the funds until they get the western union information from you for security propose.i will need you to send the £950 to my pick up agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via western union money transfer,i added extra £100 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that £60-£70 but just to be sure i added £100, Here is my pick up agent Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name - Jim Hawkins

Address - 125 sabka road

City - Deira,

State - Dubai

Country - United arab emirate

Please kindly email the necessary details to PayPal :the mtcn which you will be given at the western union after the £950 has been sent as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through western union so i can forward it to PayPal or better still you can email it to PayPal directly.

Cheers

Then I got 2 emails from 'Paypal'........looking quite professional and reassuring (too big to copy into this thread)

My final response seems to have shut him up

Sent: 07 April 2011 12:09

To: 'Jeffery Cole'

Subject: RE: Payment has been made

Jeffery I'm really sorry I've just realised that the tossonmyface@gmail.com isn't linked to my bank account anymore. I switched it to my new one email address when I moved into a different niche in the adult film market.

Will you be able to retract the payment and resend it to realeaseonmyholeandgnashonmyballs@gmail.com

As you can appreciate I had to do this as the 'face' and the 'hole' are 2 totally different markets.

Terribly sorry for the confusion.

Slightly disconcerting that 419eater stresses that you must never give you personal email when annoying a psychopathic gangbanger from Lagos............hope my work place don't get a visit from a peeved Jeff 'King Willie' Cole and his crew anytime soon :scare::surrender:

• 1 year later...

Finally got one of the Z4 advert!

Customer Details:

NAME: MR  sprote

TELEPHONE:

EMAIL: samsp045@gmail.com

Vehicle Details:

MAKE: BMW

MODEL: Z4

PRICE: £6949

hi, I would like to know if this vehicle is still available for sale and i'm quite impress about history of the vehicle posted on the ads and is there any Genuine reason why selling it?

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Trader Media Group Limited, registered office: Trader Publishing Limited, Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire RG6 4UT. Registered in England with company number 3909628. VAT number: GB 614891820. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

. Salutations ma brither.

The car is still for sale.

I am selling as I have just been notified that I have won the Nigerian lottery but I need to pay the crown prince of Nigerian $8000 taxes to release my winnings. 

God be with you ma brither

Sent from samsung mobile