Made Redundent

SwanageDave

Sadley i am being made Redundent in the summer of 2012 as the school i work at is closing,I need some ideas on which route to take in finding a new job as i am only 55 and still feel like working for a few more years yet,

At the moment i Manage 5 schools in the local area regarding building works but Ideally would like to change direction.

I was thinking of going into Valeting as i love cars and it would suit me down to the ground, The problem there is that i really dont have a clue where to start And was wondering if there is courses that can be taken or even buying a franchise?

In the past i have done all sorts of work from a Clearance diver in the Royal Navy for 12 years and as a top burner in Demolition. I may try and see if Tim at Envy needs a trainee... :thumbs:

Cheers Dave :scare:

Sorry to hear this. Get the ball rolling now. Make sure you get your CV up to date and get it out there with a handful of specific agencies who will work for you in finding a new job. I know you have a year to go but start now and it will give you options. As for changing career direction, it is hard enough getting a new job in an industry you have experience in yet alone changing carrer. Think positive and you will succeed. :thumbs:

Your 55, how's your back?

Detailing cars on a regular basis can kill your back, i'm 24 and it kills me sometimes. Bending over cars (no puns) all day will hurt.

As redundancies go though, it could be worse, you could have had no notice and been in the job seekers line this time next week. gives you good amount of time to sort something.

Hopefully it works out for the better. Blessing in disguise :)

Sorry to hear that.

I happen to be a dab hand at CV's if you want a second eye run over it mate...(we can look into creating a couple of CVs its good to have a skills set CV and an experience based CV as a start point and adjust each one for the relevant jobs)...just PM and let me know.

My girlfriends father owns a valeting company which is linked onto his garage. What I would suggest is get a little portakabin/office for renting cheap in a decent location. Offer basic car washing services but also offer very expensive services which are time consuming. If you advertise like my missus' dad done you will get plenty of regular car wash customers who usually come back once or twice a year for the big jobs. Once you get a steady flow of car wash customers, get an assistant to work for you doing that and it will allow you to concentrate on the big jobs. Always keep your standards high for the cheaper services.

Sorry to hear the bad news though mate! :console:

:clap: Nice one Dave - funnily enough am thinking along the same lines...I was made redundant last week from my job in Local Authority up here (although just heard today they will have to extend me by five weeks because I fought them over the notice period :yahoo: ).

I've been thinking about what I can spend the redundancy on (other then the mortgage!) and a transit and mobile detailing equipment is only second to a transit and gardening equipment - one way or another you have to be pro-active in this situation :thumbs:

can't fault you for wanting to be your own boss. With your background I'd have through you'd easily gets facilities management type roles. I know someone that runs their own valeting business, and I know someone else who lost everything running a carwash and is still in debt. The person running their own business I believe did struggle through the economic downturn as clean cars is usually one of the first things to go along with gym membership.

Getting in with the fleets I think can be a good earner but if doing mobile you're really restricted to needing good weather. I believe there can be big insurance costs as well. You've also got to look at your location, who else is doing it etc.

Good luck - you only live once!

Your 55, how's your back?

Detailing cars on a regular basis can kill your back, i'm 24 and it kills me sometimes. Bending over cars (no puns) all day will hurt.

As redundancies go though, it could be worse, you could have had no notice and been in the job seekers line this time next week. gives you good amount of time to sort something.

Hopefully it works out for the better. Blessing in disguise :)

+1 my bloody back and neck are in ribbons by Monday after I do a car on a Saturday.

If I didn't have a decent job as it is I'd go out doing the valeting in a flash..........problem is I don't have the mentality to be relaxed not knowing where my next bit of work is coming from.

If I was made redundant I've already earmarked this as my contingency plan!

The other factor is of course that I'm of the generation thats had to get hocked up to the nines with mortgages and what not so you might financially be more suited to giving this a crack.

A pm to Tim certainly wouldn't do any harm for some advice.

Just another thought re the valeting side of things Dave.......I think its easy to think you can do it without any kind of training etc because 'its only washing a car'.

I think your general valeting (so long as you know your onions) is doable but the paint correction side of things is a different kettle of fish.

If you don't already have experience with a DA polisher and having been trained to use a orbital then I'd be very careful plunging into that kind of thing without some consideration to the techniques ETC.

Just a thought without knowing your level of experience.

Dave, sorry to hear about this mate, I know what it feels like, and some times it would be nice to have some reasonable comments on what to do next. Silly comments IMO dont help anyone who is in this situation. :angry:

Have you thought about marine Valet? I have been told by a friend, who is in the business that there is plenty of work in that field, although I would imagine it would be loads harder than a car.

How are you with a set of spanners? Mobile mechanic?

Setup your own property maintenance company as you are already in the business :shrug:

I am sure that with you excellent charm and charisma, you will be able to turn your hand to anything. :thumbs:

Keep in touch mate, must catch up again :thumbs:

Hopefully you'll be alright Dave ......... everyone has to maintain ......... eventually ...... get in touch with a couple of Academies ....... they're gonna have to buy in the services you can offer when they leave the LA