Ooooohhh my arse!

James B

After reading (and secretly judging) stories of members losing the arse end and ending up in trouble I had my first experience on the Zed.

I came round a roundabout on damp but not soaking roads and off it. Was gentle with it until I was properly straight then gave it some beans and shifted into third. Just as I finished the shift up the arse stepped out big time! It happened so quickly and with no noise or warning. I steered lightly into ito to regain and it stepped out the other side and then miraculously corrected.

Can honestly say I @*!# my pants and my heart almost stopped. So this is me giving a formal apology for judging others and thinking it couldnt happen to me.

I will now be more careful when the roads are anything but bone dry.

exactly what happened to me apart from i couldnt let her hand out there with cars coming the other way,

ended up over corrected and spinning all the way round the other way and off the road.

dont know if my story was one you were reading but if it was i accept your apology.

take it easy in the wet. when i get a new one it will be for sunny days only. keeping the sh1tty truck for most of the time.

theres nothing wrong with the zeds handling; people just need to do some driver training days so they know what it does and how to fix it.

the zed has traction control and esp so most of the time it will save noobs from minor hits.

people get used to FWD and try and drive a RWD the same

the zed or any RWD should not be something to be feared or kept for sunny days only, like any tool it just has to be learnt to be used properly.

theres nothing wrong with the zeds handling; people just need to do some driver training days so they know what it does and how to fix it.

the zed has traction control and esp so most of the time it will save noobs from minor hits.

the zed or any RWD should not be something to be feared or kept for sunny days only, like any tool it just has to be learnt to be used properly.

rich i agree, but i will have 2 cars so prob gonna save her for nice weather. i probably wont when i get her though

Damp roads are usually greasy. It's the same on track, wets sometimes better than just slightly wet as this I when the friction material is greasy.

my S2k decided to remind me of greasey roads 2 days ago, i have no traction control but find the car so well balanced that it is very controlable. i don't feel worried that i don't have traction control like the zed.

road was terribly greasy,

Had my first moment yesterday morning.

On the way to work on back roads and just gone round a tightish bend on to a patch of road white with a layer of frost (you go up a hill to go round the bend so couldn't see the road surface until i was on it) and the back end started stepping out pointing me towards the curb. Went to correct and back end stepped out a bit the other way and thought i might be headed onto the wrong side of the road at the one time that morning there was actually a car coming the other way :scare:

Thankfully i managed to keep it together and away from both car and curb.

i certainly wasn't driving like a maniac, in fact the mini in front was pulling away as i thought i would take it relatively easy. Clearly not easily enough though.

Not the kind of thing i need before my first coffee of the morning.

Hmmm.... the traction control has caused many a zed to be written off in the past. It kicks in too late and when it does kick in it kills the power you need to apply to hold the slide. It's good traction control for when you not hoofing it though. I am not saying switch your traction contol off at all times here just pointing out a fact :thumbs::drive1

Hmmm.... the traction control has caused many a zed to be written off in the past. It kicks in too late and when it does kick in it kills the power you need to apply to hold the slide. It's good traction control for when you not hoofing it though. I am not saying switch your traction contol off at all times here just pointing out a fact :thumbs::drive1

I dont like it at all myself when you are pressing on - makes the car quite unpredictable and as you say isnt the fastest system in the world. I only use mine in really cold and icy conditions and standing water TBH. :thumbs:

They are very well balanced cars though so if it does go all sideways you should be OK as long as you dont panic - Ive actually found myself automatically accelerating into slides without even thinking about it :)

The bottom line is if you lose a car on the roads your very lucky even if your a skilled driver (Which I'm not!) to correct it and get away with it.

Problem being that roads are much narrower and littered with nasties like other cars, pedestrians, curbs and evil bollards all of which mean you have about 3 nano-seconds to realise, correct, recorrect, avoid *insertabove*, pull over, wipe poo from seat and drive on.

Usually you'll learn the hard way and have to extract yourself from some nasty wreckage only to be given the smug lectures about how you 'should of turned into the skid' or 'I bet you came off the power didn't you (lots of pitying head shaking)......should of accelerated through it'.........usually by some git in the pub who drives an Astra.

Ricey calls it like it is again :lol::lol:

The bottom line is if you lose a car on the roads your very lucky even if your a skilled driver (Which I'm not!) to correct it and get away with it.

Problem being that roads are much narrower and littered with nasties like other cars, pedestrians, curbs and evil bollards all of which mean you have about 3 nano-seconds to realise, correct, recorrect, avoid *insertabove*, pull over, wipe poo from seat and drive on.

Usually you'll learn the hard way and have to extract yourself from some nasty wreckage only to be given the smug lectures about how you 'should of turned into the skid' or 'I bet you came off the power didn't you (lots of pitying head shaking)......should of accelerated through it'.........usually by some git in the pub who drives an Astra.

rich i agree, but i will have 2 cars so prob gonna save her for nice weather. i probably wont when i get her though

Since july the zeds been my daily drive with a 300 mile commute per wk and not including private miles done. This has been through, Snow, ice, rain and sun and i cant say ive not had some ..lets say "Invigotating moments" But i love it! As for parking her up for sunny days n weekends...get a grip ! She's there to Drive and if ya cant handle her then buy a Micra!

If i want to scare myself rigid i take the Busa out, touch 100 in under 4 seconds n then wait for my heart to get back to the right pace!

Since july the zeds been my daily drive with a 300 mile commute per wk and not including private miles done. This has been through, Snow, ice, rain and sun and i cant say ive not had some ..lets say "Invigotating moments" But i love it! As for parking her up for sunny days n weekends...get a grip ! She's there to Drive and if ya cant handle her then buy a Micra!

If i want to scare myself rigid i take the Busa out, touch 100 in under 4 seconds n then wait for my heart to get back to the right pace!

Wow 4 seconds almost as fast as a gtr :lol:

As for getting a grip, I also have another 2 cars and the zed is purely a toy instead of destroying it on pothole ridden roads. It's not about handling her also it's purely about enjoying her in the correct environment ie the track or good highland roads. Unless you track your car you will never experience how much potential the zed has. My car does not drive in snow at all due to it being so low it acts as a snow plough. So less ofthe attitude please, some people are fortunate enough to only need to use it for a hobby. My car will be going for many years to come and will be in alot better condition than one that is driven on grit covered roads.

Having experimented the other day in a safe environment on a frosty surface I would not place too much faith in the traction control getting you out of a sudden untoward development. It's probably best to drive as if it hasn't got it - then if it helps a bit then great.

I think Ricey's comments are very pertinent.

6 words,.... better tyres.......... drive to the conditions. ;)

:thumbs: Exactly right.

In 3 years of zed ownership, and having owned all RWD cars bar 2 in my life, i have honestly to date never 'lost' the back end. If it is damp or wet, you have to respect the road and understand the balance of your car etc. You must feather the throttle and feel the role that inertia plays when cornering.

, some people are fortunate enough to only need to use it for a hobby. My car will be going for many years to come and will be in alot better condition than one that is driven on grit covered roads.

neilp, I too am fortunate to be able to use it for a hobby. I use it everyday because i want to, i have a another 2 cars to use and ive spent more money on a holiday than the Z cost us. If it gets knacked, I am fortunate that i can afford to buy another! as it happens im thinking of chopping it in for a 370 which i would still use as an every day car?

Its not a matter of attitude and i wont enter into tit fer tat arguments. If someone hasnt got the brains to use their head in wet conditions, rear wheel drive, 3.5l v6..then dont buy one because you dont have the experience for it and i wouldnt want to be at the side or behind you. so less of the condescending attitude please as we are all entitled to an oppinion.

, some people are fortunate enough to only need to use it for a hobby. My car will be going for many years to come and will be in alot better condition than one that is driven on grit covered roads.

neilp, I too am fortunate to be able to use it for a hobby. I use it everyday because i want to, i have a another 2 cars to use and ive spent more money on a holiday than the Z cost us. If it gets knacked, I am fortunate that i can afford to buy another! as it happens im thinking of chopping it in for a 370 which i would still use as an every day car?

Its not a matter of attitude and i wont enter into tit fer tat arguments. If someone hasnt got the brains to use their head in wet conditions, rear wheel drive, 3.5l v6..then dont buy one because you dont have the experience for it and i wouldnt want to be at the side or behind you. so less of the condescending attitude please as we are all entitled to an oppinion.

It's the way you said itmate. If u can't handle it buy a micra?? You've took the conversation to a hole different direction. It's not about what you spend on holidays, at that point you boasting and kissing your own arse, and if you spent 30 odd thousand on a holiday then more fool you. You come here as if your the man. There's alot of people on here who are in much better positions financial than we could ever boast about. My argument was toward the condescending tone you have taking towards others who may be less experienced. The only way to get experience is to drive it and learn. Unfortunately things happen outwith your control as lexx, a very experience member, found out recently.

As for using your car very day, fair play to you but I take mine to the track to experience the real car. You can never have that on the roads as you'll either get points or crash as you can't get tyres and brakes upto temperature, along with the terrible condition the roads are in

Good luck with your driving, have fun when you buy a 370 also. :thumbs: