Newbie and potential buyer.

GMC

Hello everybody :wave: . I have had my eye on the following car since November and i test drove it in early december.

http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehiclesear ... 04lae.html

Since then i have also been looking at a number of Mazda RX8's. However, i really cant stop thinking about the Nissan, it really is a superb car.

However i have a few issues with the Nissan i am looking at. On the face of it, it looks a cracking deal. Considering its a nissan main dealer, the price is unbeatable (i cant find a cheaper one anyway). It has full service history (although i will have to check what exactly was done on the 54000 mile one as i understand its a biggie). I know that the dealer have had this car in their forecourt since at least july and a friend of mine thinks it was originally priced closer to £12000. Am i being paranoid thinking they have had to drop the price considerably as something major is wrong with the car or it needs lots of money spent on it? Or is it really just the financial world in which we are living at the minute, and not many people (especially in the north east where i live) can afford a car like this therefore the dealer has had to drop the price? Im really no expert when it comes to cars so, other than looking at the general appearance of the car, i wouldnt know how to look for any kind of deep rooted problem.

I suppose this is a long shot, but i know forum members tend to be a very helpful bunch, is there anybody on here who lives anywhere near Sunderland who would mind looking at it with/for me?

Also, an a slightly different note. How much can you really get in the boot? Not a massive issue to me, but if i was to buy it, i would like to be able to take it on the weekends away i have with the better half. Can you get two weekend bags in it? If not, we'll have to take her yaris :blush:

:welcome:

I'd say the price is about right for the car. Its not the top spec one - reasonable milage but given the price of Zeds these days most people are looking for the GT pack (leather, rays ETC). I wouldn't be worried about the price - they were taking piddle and now they want shut of it. Have a look in the buying guides for potential problems (clicky axles ETC) and preferably take someone who knows what they're looking at with you You'll probably get a 3 month warrenty on it anyways. :thumbs:

RX8's - stop in the name of love!!!!!! Lexx and Stan will be along to defend their honour but they will suck your wallet dry and you'll have to spend all day at 7000rpm to go anywhere without crying.

Boot will swallow up weekend bags no problem.

Also if its been sat since June the battery could well be snaffered after the winter we've just had.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

The plugs should have been replaced recently so worth checking.

The car in the add isnt a GT, nothing wrong with that, neither is mine. It could make it harder to sell though as buyers can spmetimes want all the toys. It would put me off a good car though, the toys dont appeal to me.

I am sure there will be someone who will have a look for you.

If you dont get anyone in this thread pm me and i will give someone a nudge. :)

If its been sat on the forecourt for that long, they may well have just dropped the price to that level to get it moved on. Its possible they could have taken it as a part exchange at a very low price anyway, and are now moving it on for more or less what they paid perhaps?

Typically dealers price high initially and reduce as time goes on, from memory I think mine had previously been up at £1k more.

With fuel and insurance prices as they are these sort of cars only really appeal to enthusiasts which is a smaller market by definition, I wouldnt say there is anything to worry about on face value.

That said, perhaps an AA inspection is the way forward. Its money well spent if it picks up anything nasty and will save you the journey.

Best of luck!

[Edit] Oh yes, bootspace -fine for a weekend trip.

:welcome:

I'd say the price is about right for the car. Its not the top spec one - reasonable milage but given the price of Zeds these days most people are looking for the GT pack (leather, rays ETC). I wouldn't be worried about the price - they were taking piddle and now they want shut of it. Have a look in the buying guides for potential problems (clicky axles ETC) and preferably take someone who knows what they're looking at with you You'll probably get a 3 month warrenty on it anyways. :thumbs:

RX8's - stop in the name of love!!!!!! Lexx and Stan will be along to defend their honour but they will suck your wallet dry and you'll have to spend all day at 7000rpm to go anywhere without crying.

Boot will swallow up weekend bags no problem.

Also if its been sat since June the battery could well be snaffered after the winter we've just had.

Good luck!

What exactly does the GT pack have on top of the standard car? Im no expert but having done a little bit of research, i think the car could be a GT, just not advertised as one. When i test drove the car, it had electrically adjusatable heated leather seats, cruise control and the bose stereo system. According to the parkers website these are standard GT features but were they also optional extras on the base model?

Thats a GT then, I cant see the pics very well at the moment. Looks like a very good price. :thumbs:

Excellent. Seems strange that it isn't advertised as one. Oh well just got to wait for any replies to my other thread now.

sorry mate I read to gumpf which said 'cloth seats'......didn't look at the leather interior piccy.

I think the Rays were actually optional extras so I'm talking utter shash!

Its got the steering wheel controls so it could well be the GT.

Welcome to the Forum!

Why not spend some time looking about at other Zed's?

Took me 5 viewings and 3 test drives to find the right Zed fir me!

(there are sum real dogs out there with owners who don't/didn't care!)

Not that your current favorite doesn't look sweet!

that looks like a great price.

it certainly looks like a GT to me:- cruise, heated leather seats, bose, brembros.

the rays were an option on top of the GT pack. about 2k option as well.

i would say if it looks straight and the history is good then snap it up. best colour too ;)

Before I go off on my usual rant about people slating the RX8, I just want to say something about that dealer....

....AVOID!

They are difficult in the extreme to deal with, never returning calls, and generally taking 3 times longer than any other dealer to arrange anything.

That said, if you decide to get the car, be sure it is 100% before you hand over any cash, as you dont want to be having to keep going back there to get things sorted.

Do not get an RX8! They are difficult to live with as a daily driver.

Im assuming you have owned one to make such a comment?

And what good is such a comment to a potential owner? You dont explain why its difficult to live with, and infact offer nothing contructive to the OP's request.

If you cant say something helpful, better to say nothing at all.

I had mine as an everyday car. And had no issues at all with it in the 4 years I owned it.

It was the same tax bracket as the Zed, cost the same in insurance, and did about the same mpg for my driving style.

And it hands down beat the Zed in handling on every road and track I had them on.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

STAN! Your turn!

Al

I had mine as an everyday car. And had no issues at all with it in the 4 years I owned it.

It was the same tax bracket as the Zed, cost the same in insurance, and did about the same mpg for my driving style.

And it hands down beat the Zed in handling on every road and track I had them on.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

STAN! Your turn!

Al

:lol::boxing: I knew this would kick it off.

Different strokes for different folks GMC.......I had some 'fun' in the RX but only cocking about with the DSC turned off. As a daily driver it was soul destroying (In my humble) - but then I love my big lazy V6 lumps that will happily pootle along in 5th at 30 when your town driving.

Fuel - just over 200 miles a tank if your lucky.......Zed aint much better but it sounds like a throttled lion rather than a tumble dryer on the final spin.

Faults......3 year old RX had under warranty - new alloys, new CD player, New rear light clusters, new oil cooler hoses, new handbrake leaver, flooded twice, died when left for more than 5 days 3 times and started accelarating in a very odd manner at 30k. Coil packs seem to be worth an instant change by my research.

7.5k depreciation in 18 months :scare: difference it you'll be buying one thats already swallowed the depreciation......which does make it an attractive prospect (Zed still gets the vote by a country mile for me though)

I'd be very wary of what Lexx mentions with the stealer though.........have a good luck round if you haven't test driven any others - or get a RAC inspection. :thumbs:

:lol: Not kicking off mate.

As you say, whatever floats your boat :boat:

On a reliability note - I had mine for 4 years completely trouble free (alloys didnt stay on the car for long so cant comment on the corrosion, but I know it was a problem. But then it is on many Marques these days it seems)

I used to leave mine standing for 3-4 months at a time whilst I was away at sea, and it started first time every time when I returned.

It did flood once - but that was my own doing, and I got it started by following a guide on the forum.

At least you are giving constructive advice. I just get wound up when people offer opinions with no evidence to back it up.

Haha I know your not mate - I love the fact that opinions on the 8 are fully polarised......no one ever sits in the middle.

I tell you what though.......like it or not the prices you can pick up 8's for these days are scary - its a whole lot of car for the money!

If it was reliable and only cost 5 or 6k I think I would of had a different opinion........I think my 8 was just a bad experiance from start to finish and not really a fair reflection on the car.......still not a fan of the high revving jap units though (Type R, S2000, RX8 ETC) - they seem too much like hard work :shrug:

I know that the dealer have had this car in their forecourt since at least july and a friend of mine thinks it was originally priced closer to £12000.

That's not really a problem. My wife's 58 reg 2.0 Z4 is still sitting on the forecourt at Lookers in Chester, 4 months after we P/X'd it for a 350Z roadster. Only 7,000 miles on the clock and immaculate, they've dropped the price to just a few hundred more than we got for it.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2142060.htm

Pete

I knew Lexx would be in to defend the honour of his precious RX8! :lol:

I wrote an essay but the damn server timed out and my post was lost never to be seen again :angry:

Anyway back on topic. I have the RX8 at the moment, and I can't wait to see the back of it as the novelty has definitely worn off. Although mine is mechanically sound, there are some absolute dogs out there with knackered engines, blocked CATs, faulty coils, corroded alloys etc. Find yourself a good one and you'll still have to live with the quirkiness of the rotary which can get a bit wearisome after a while. The rotary engine, whilst being the RX8's best feature, is also its biggest downfall. You only have to trawl through the forums to see that many have suffered from low compression at low mileage and after 5 years Mazda don't want to know about it leaving you with a bill of £3.5k for a new engine.

I'm aware that every car has its quirks and problems, but I bet you can't find me one with such widespread and costly issues as the RX8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my review on the RX8 I wrote on AutoTrader.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've owned my Mazda RX-8 for around a year now and for the most part it has been a pleasurable experience. It is very cheap to buy now, because there are simply so many available.

I will talk you through the pros and cons of this unique car.

Pros

- Handles brilliantly in the dry, amazing balance and agility.

- Very practical for a sports car; big boot, four doors and lots of room for four occupants.

- Excellent interior, the seats are comfortable, driving position is good and overall build quality is excellent.

- Well equipped, mine came with leather electric heated seats, Xenons, BOSE 6CD changer & a multitude of other toys.

Cons

- Engine is a massive liability. Mazda have had to replace many engines due to low compression. This is partly down to negligence, but not entirely. It's just bad engineering. Low compression can cause starting problems, bad fuel economy, reduced performance and can affect other parts of the engine.

- Ignition coils are a big weak point. These need to be changed at 30k mile intervals to keep the engine happy. Of course most people don't know this until it's too late, and Mazda do not change them in services unless asked to. Many people are unaware how important the coils are to a healthy engine.

- Car cannot be started from cold and then shutoff before it's reached normal operating temperature. This, while annoying, is part of the rotaries 'charms' but it fills me with fear whenever I leave it with the garage or MOT place.

- Horrific fuel consumption. Horrific may seem reactionary, but that's exactly what it is. Expect to average no more than 16mpg with mixed driving. Short, stop-start will get you 11mpg. Motorway around 22mpg. Audi's 4.2 V8 in the RS4 actually drinks less fuel than the Mazda which has nearly 200bhp less.

- No torque. This car is not for you if you cruise around everywhere in 5th gear; it has very low levels of torque and the engine needs to be in the 5k + RPM range if you want to overtake. This can get very tiresome.

- Checking oil is made infinitely more difficult by the engine cover, white deposits and general awkwardness of the dipstick. For a car which is so reliant on correct oil maintenance, Mazda have really shot themselves in the foot with the RX8. It takes several tries to get an accurate reading of oil level.

- Road tax, tyres and servicing are expensive (relative to purchase price). The Mazda may be cheap to buy but it's definitely not cheap to run.